Understanding the Beauty Dish

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I got involved in a few discussions about the BD (here and elsewhere) recently, and that prompted me to do a bit of web searching to see what information was out there. What I found was hugely variable and often misleading/wrong. Apparently many have no idea how to judge distance, saying they use it at 1-2ft while simultaneously placing it 3-4 ft away. Or have fairly poor combinations that produce very uneven light and spend time discussing how to "work around that" (you can't really). Many seem to be doing everything they can to use the BD as anything other than what it is designed for. And I couldn't find a single good explanation as to how and why they actually work.

So I decided to write an article on the topic... after getting some technical review/feedback I've made some minor changes (additions). The basics of the article are summed up by this diagram, with the understanding that "the purpose" of the BD is really to provide "sculpting" and not to be a ring-light (how you use it is up to you). Also note that none of this really happens if you add a sock (diffusion) or honeycomb (grid)... at least not in the same way or to the same extent.

BeautyDish2.jpg

The full article has many additional images and text that explain/demonstrate it in greater detail...

Last edited:
Thanks for that Steven, I've been considering getting a BD to go on a Godox 360, being armed with a bit of understanding will help (y)

Thank you very much, have been thinking of getting a beauty dish for a while now

Back