Underwater Equipment

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a decent level set up for some underwater portraits in a pool no deeper then 4ft.

I guess I'd need a wide angle lens and of course a camera housing.

Can anyone recommend any that you have used?

Also a underwater strobe that has a fast recharge speed as I'm only going to get around 5 seconds to get around 5/6 frames

Check out this link for an alternative to using strobes. It's also a good site for reviews and tips on underwater photography.

http://www.divephotoguide.com/under...rticle/still-photography-continuous-lighting/

Decent underwater strobes and camera housing
don't come cheap! I used to use Sea and Sea cameras and strobes years ago. They were good enough for me to document my dives at the time but I wanted a DSLR for diving after I started to get more into photography on land.

The cheapest way
to do it for me was to find used camera housing for an older model camera then buy a used camera body to go with it.

I ended up with a D70 and housing for less than
the cost of housing at the time for my D300.

Whatever you use make sure you clean,check and grease the o ring seals every time!! Unless you want to turn your camera into an expensive soggy doorstop.

Sorry every tine I post from my phone it ends up with mixed font sizes lol :)

Last edited:
Check out this link for an alternative to using strobes. It's also a good site for reviews and tips on underwater photography.

http://www.divephotoguide.com/under...rticle/still-photography-continuous-lighting/

Decent underwater strobes and camera housing
don't come cheap! I used to use Sea and Sea cameras and strobes years ago. They were good enough for me to document my dives at the time but I wanted a DSLR for diving after I started to get more into photography on land.

The cheapest way
to do it for me was to find used camera housing for an older model camera then buy a used camera body to go with it.

I ended up with a D70 and housing for less than
the cost of housing at the time for my D300.

Whatever you use make sure you clean,check and grease the o ring seals every time!! Unless you want to turn your camera into an expensive soggy doorstop.

Sorry every tine I post from my phone it ends up with mixed font sizes lol :)

Thank you, very helpful. I will check it all out.

I'd concur, unless you are made of money they best thing to do is look for someone selling an old setup and buying that. Typically a DSLR housing is much more expensive than the camera itself.

Doesn't need to be a DSLR though, and something like a Canon G12 (or newer) will work well with strobes and give plenty good results

Or even, if you are a bit Heath-Robinson, you could get one of the new 'tough' type cameras that are good down to 10m and bolt on an eTTL strobe that doesn't need a physical connection (I have one for my Canon S90).

These are probably the best people in the UK to buy form or get advice: https://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk

edit: also to say that underwater strobes are uber expensive too, you're probably looking at £400+ each (although it's been a while since I've looked into it).

Last edited:
I'd concur, unless you are made of money they best thing to do is look for someone selling an old setup and buying that. Typically a DSLR housing is much more expensive than the camera itself.

Doesn't need to be a DSLR though, and something like a Canon G12 (or newer) will work well with strobes and give plenty good results

Or even, if you are a bit Heath-Robinson, you could get one of the new 'tough' type cameras that are good down to 10m and bolt on an eTTL strobe that doesn't need a physical connection (I have one for my Canon S90).

These are probably the best people in the UK to buy form or get advice: https://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk

edit: also to say that underwater strobes are uber expensive too, you're probably looking at £400+ each (although it's been a while since I've looked into it).

Would you say I'd get professional images from a canon s90 though?

I've contacted a nice guy at cameras underwater and have all the equipment he thinks I need and the bill comes to £4500 and is around where I thought but of course If there is another option I want to listen to them all.

... the bill comes to £4500 and is around where I thought but of course If there is another option I want to listen to them all.
If you're going to be shooting in water no deeper than 4 feet, why do you need such an expensive setup?

For example, why not use an EWA Marine housing? It'll be £1000 cheaper than something like an Ikelite housing, and it will fit your existing camera.

What did the guy include in that £4500 package?

If you're going to be shooting in water no deeper than 4 feet, why do you need such an expensive setup?

For example, why not use an EWA Marine housing? It'll be £1000 cheaper than something like an Ikelite housing, and it will fit your existing camera.

What did the guy include in that £4500 package?

Because I need to produce professional portraits, it's a new area we are moving in to as we have just been given a great opportunity but equipment wise I don't know enough, my logic was the better quality the safer my camera and lens.

Included,

D610 housing
35mm Pod
2 x strobe arms
2 x DS160 strobes
Dual strobe lead

... but equipment wise I don't know enough....
Of course that's the classic scenario where the supplier can over-spec what you "need". OK, if you can afford £4500 and you're confident that the economics of this opportunity will support an investment of this size, then go for it. But personally I'd still be asking why it's not, say, £2500.

Back