underwater macro images

Name
stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I returned a few weeks ago from another trip to Lembeh Strait, which is in North Sulawesi, Indonesia. It is world famous for its marine life and especially for the pygmy seahorse. The pygmy seahorse was only discovered a few years ago when a marine biologist was looking at some gorgonian seafan in his laboratory and he found a sea horse that was no bigger than 15mm. Since this initial discovery, several species have been found and named. Pontohi - Bargibanti - Severnsi are the 3 that I as lucky enough to see and photograph on this trip. These seahorses grow to a maximum of 25mm measured from the top of their head to the tip of their tail, so most of the time I am trying to photograph about 5 - 10 mm of the seahorse. Typically they are found where the currents are strongest making the task even more of a challenge. In my Flickr set there are other bigger seahorses as well. Most images within this set were taken with either a 60mm + dioptrres or 100mm and 1.4 tc. All comments welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26034596@N08/sets/72157624134928202/show/

Stew

Wonderful images. The closest I've got to underwater macro was getting the DOF so shallow that the front element of my lens dipped into the pond as I shot pond weed!

Back