Underwater photography with a canon ixus 95 is

Name
Jennifer
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya all!

Not perhaps the questions you are usually asked but well worth a try.... =)

I’m off to South Africa next month and while I’ve managed to borrow a canon 7d for the trip :naughty: I’m looking at doing some underwater photography – swimming with sharks and general diving. I own a Canon ixus 95 already so I’m looking for some advice from people in regard to casings and also if I should look at an external flash?
I think I’m most likely to go with the Ikelite SD-1200is case but just wonder if anyone has had any experiences with these.

I’ve also been asking the same questions on diving forums however any help or advice would be much appreciated! :help:

Cheers all,
Jen

If you're thinking of taking a borrowed 7d underwater you're very brave!!
If its the ixus you're taking down, then you've got a couple of options. Cheapest way is to get the dedicated canon housing and depending on budget a magic filter (see www.amustard.com) or if you can afford it go the strobe route.
Much depends on where you're shooting and at what depth. If its Great Whites from a cage near the surface you will be best off with natural light, going deeper and srobes are a much better option - but bring in the lovely topic of backscatter...
You can hire housings for the 7d but I hope you have deep pockets. My advice would be to log onto www.underwatercamerahire.com and email Terry. Good sea and sea equipment including strobes and very reasonable (and no, I'm not on commision!)

Back