Underwater snoot shots

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Just done my first dive trip in 2 years thanks to good old Mr covid :)mad:). Tried to get a bit of variety in the shots this time, so I took a snoot along - basically an attachment that turns my strobes into more of a spotlight. There are some of my favourites

1. Anemonefish in a red anemone
clown-red-snoot-TP.jpg

2. Scorpionfish
snooted-scorpion-TP.jpg

3. Red Sea mimic blenny
mimic-blenny2-TP.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
WOW, they really are top class, should be in a magazine, know what you mean, really missing scuba diving in warm seas & my efforts of underwater photography, nowhere near as good as yours, what kit you using & what location

Great set ... Anemone Fish seems a bit shocked to see you! :)

They are all rather good, especially the Perc. with its host.

They are all rather good. I find myself wondering about the difficulties (I imagine) using a snoot underwater? How did you get over them?

WOW, they really are top class, should be in a magazine, know what you mean, really missing scuba diving in warm seas & my efforts of underwater photography, nowhere near as good as yours, what kit you using & what location

Much appreciated Kevin, it was so nice to get wet again. Camera is a Nikon D500 in a Nauticam housing, 60mm and 105mm lenses used for these along with a Retra LSD on a Retra strobe. I was day diving out of El Gouna, a fantastic Egyptian town about 20 minutes north of Hurhada airport

Great set ... Anemone Fish seems a bit shocked to see you! :)

Hi Roger. Think he just got bored of this weird light following him around and agreed to one pose as long as I cleared off afterwards!

Top work - thanks for sharing. Glad you were able to get back out/under water

Thanks for that

They are all rather good, especially the Perc. with its host.

Cheers Chris

They are all rather good. I find myself wondering about the difficulties (I imagine) using a snoot underwater? How did you get over them?

Thanks Hugh. It's not the easiest style of shooting, but my strobes have a very good aiming light that helps. For the scorpionfish he was totally static, and not bothered by my presence so I shot that simply by staying still and moving the snoot. For the clownfish I held the snoot on loose arms and tried to follow him around. A bit spray and pray!

Finally I got my buddy to hold the snoot in position for the blenny so I could move easier. That worked out the best way if you have a good buddy.

Fair to say the hit rate overall wasn't the highest I've ever experienced!

Mike

Nice set mike , glad you got out there again , just a memory for me now

Great set Mike, did you feel that the reefs had improved since you last visited due to less divers?

I must admit, its been way to long since Ive been underwater!

Lovely set Mike, the clownfish in the anemone is lovely.

Nice set mike , glad you got out there again , just a memory for me now

Cheers Jeff - always time to get out there - cheap flights available, reasonably pried hotels, and very easy snorkelling access even if you don't go the full diving route.

Excellent shots, something a bit different for us to look at too.

Thanks Paul, glad you liked them

Great set Mike, did you feel that the reefs had improved since you last visited due to less divers?

I must admit, its been way to long since Ive been underwater!

Hi Lee, yes, there has been a noticeable improvement in the coral. Dived Carless Reef for the first time in 8 or 9 years and it was spectacular. I even had to grudgingly agree that the wrecks (which normally bore me silly!) at Abu Nuhas looked better than before and generally all round the coral looked a lot healthier.

Time for you to get wet again I reckon!

Lovely set Mike, the clownfish in the anemone is lovely.

Cheers Dale, that was a shot I had planned specially with the red anemone, had to plan the dive specifically, and am really chuffed I got it

Mike

I do know that Mike , 76 in a few months old mate it’s catching up with me now

Hi Lee, yes, there has been a noticeable improvement in the coral. Dived Carless Reef for the first time in 8 or 9 years and it was spectacular. I even had to grudgingly agree that the wrecks (which normally bore me silly!) at Abu Nuhas looked better than before and generally all round the coral looked a lot healthier.

Time for you to get wet again I reckon!

That great to hear, I had a lot of friends descend on the Red Sea a few weeks back (seemed everyone was there :)).

I am housing less at the moment as I changed my camera, need to work out what to take underwater with me next :)

Back