Underwhelmed by latest EOS video quality

Name
Hammy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone,

I currently own an EOS 700D, I've not had much chance to really enjoy it as I've been unwell for a while, but whilst browsing YouTube and Vimeo looking at what people have been doing with the 650D and 700D, I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the overall quality of even 1080p videos, the 550D videos from several years ago seem to be much better looking in my eyes, yet supposedly the sensor has remained the same over the years whilst the DIGIC processor has been upgraded.

Is this purely down to the way that people process their videos and prepare them for upload on services like YouTube and Vimeo without really understanding compression too well? Because even some of the reviews talking about video look pretty bad, I've seen better videos shot on iPhones, and yes, I'm definitely looking at these videos in 1080p, and I fullscreen them just like I would any video footage for what it is worth. Currently mulling over other options for video like Nikon though I've not heard great things about Nikon for video.

I've searched the web looking for others talking about this, is it just me who has noticed this? Can anybody shine a light on this for me? Are people just less skilled with the processing side of things these days or is the new DIGIC processor really impacting video footage that much?

Hamual

The file sizes are pretty big from the 550/700 etc I'd be guessing and say the down sample for youtube size is going to reduce the quality a lot. Theres also a few options on file format/size etc on the camera, so maybe not on 'best' options for quality (I don't do video much)

Currently mulling over other options for video

Have you looked at Sony's NEX system? I've seen better video from it than from Canon APS-C.

The file sizes are pretty big from the 550/700 etc I'd be guessing and say the down sample for youtube size is going to reduce the quality a lot. Theres also a few options on file format/size etc on the camera, so maybe not on 'best' options for quality (I don't do video much)

Youtube can display 1080p so you can watch without any downsampling.

The main problem I can see is not enough light and someone who can't hold a camera still. There's motion blur on just about every frame.

Youtube can display 1080p so you can watch without any downsampling.

The main problem I can see is not enough light and someone who can't hold a camera still. There's motion blur on just about every frame.

I stand corrected, I assumed that several gb of video would have be made smaller to upload to places like youtube etc.

I stand corrected, I assumed that several gb of video would have be made smaller to upload to places like youtube etc.

Are you getting downsampling and data rate reduction (compression) mixed up?

The spec for upload to YouTube asks for 30Mbps for top quality, 5 for consumer.

Back