Uneasy

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
My other half wanted to go to a car boot this morning, so to keep the peace I agreed to take her.
I decided to take my camera with me while I wandered around.
Although I spotted some interesting people, I felt quite uneasy about photographing them.
Is there a right or wrong way to go about this "street photography" or is it just a case of almost point and shoot?
I only had a 24-70 lens with me and felt that maybe a longer lens would have helped.

Don't furtively creep around sneakily taking people's photos - that's my advice. If they spot you being furtive and sneaky, they'll assume the worst about you. Be bold, just do it, then talk to them afterwards.. let them know what you've done... show them the image.

I'm sure the usual people will be along soon to disagree with me, but IMO, street photography is not about sneakily, surreptitiously photographing people with a long lens.

Nope I agree. I mostly use my 24-105 and a lot at the closest range. Point the camera, shoot, move on. If angry face, smile, you'll often get a smile back, then whether this is before or after you've shot is up to you. It's not all candid.

You'd think a long lens is easy, but my big whit L lenses attract more attention than the wider ones. You could be shooting anything.

Whilst I would agree with what's been said above I think you would probably find more than a few sellers at car boot sales that would rather you not record their presence/activity.

Those who are obviously private sellers less so but where we are there are a high proportion of lets say less than legitimate traders.

And before anyone asks yes this is from privileged information :)

David

Whilst I would agree with what's been said above I think you would probably find more than a few sellers at car boot sales that would rather you not record their presence/activity.

At that particular venue, that's actually a very good point.

I only had a 24-70 lens with me and felt that maybe a longer lens would have helped.

Don't furtively creep around sneakily taking people's photos - that's my advice. If they spot you being furtive and sneaky, they'll assume the worst about you. Be bold, just do it, then talk to them afterwards.. let them know what you've done... show them the image.

I'm sure the usual people will be along soon to disagree with me, but IMO, street photography is not about sneakily, surreptitiously photographing people with a long lens.

You'd think a long lens is easy, but my big whit L lenses attract more attention than the wider ones. You could be shooting anything.

You would have thought a zoom lens would have been better as I also thought, until I actually went out and tried it. I tried getting people shots with my Compact Camera that has a good zoom range, it has 24mm 480 (35mm Equivalent) and at it's longest it just did not feel right. I did feel a little creepy zooming into people from that distance, and unfortunately it shows, and people soon twig and get very wary of me. At longer focal distances, the lens has to be pointed more directly at subjects. But I felt more at ease at with the lens set at 24mm, as I could stand very close to subject and get the photo, without pointing the Camera directly at the person being photographed.

I have taken photos at places like car boots, market stalls and other such gathering, and I used the surroundings as a ploy. I simply show interest at goods on display and make as though I am taking photos of the goods on display. At 24mm close up, not only do you get the goods, but you can also get some nice people shots also.

Oh and you tend to feel more at ease closer, as you can get into the crowd and mingle, you won't get noticed as you will be part of the group. But you will be noticed by the group that you are away from, and looking into from a distance. Or at least that's how it felt to me.

Thanks for your advice.
I think as it was my first time at this style of photography, it may be a confidence issue.
I may look for an event that attracts more people with cameras where I am not the only one and will not stand out so much.

Back