unexpected shot!

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
I was walking along the local river watching a heron on the other side when i heard a rather high pitched noise behind me.. turned round.. and caught this flying above me!

Kestrel-flying.jpg

Faily big crop, Taken with a 300mm f/4 L

It's safe to say i'll be going back along there more often!

After reading a thread below.. this may be a hobby??...

Yes it IS a Sparrowhawk...the larger female at that.
Keith :clap:

Bloody hell.

Didn't expect them to be round here.

Great shot, they are quite common up there with the buzzards and kestrels but normally seen in the garden. There is a slight hallow around the bird, to much shadow & highlight maybe?

Great shot, they are quite common up there with the buzzards and kestrels but normally seen in the garden. There is a slight hallow around the bird, to much shadow & highlight maybe?

Thats the lightroom adjustments I put this onto my laptop and then transfered it across to my pc, haven't had much time to play around with it.. just wanted an ID more than anything!

Well, I've seen a couple in gateshead but they looked more "grey" than these, not sure what the difference is between a male and female tbh.

I'm glad I've spotted some and I've seen them again so.. fingers crossed they will stay for a while!

Thats the lightroom adjustments I put this onto my laptop and then transfered it across to my pc, haven't had much time to play around with it.. just wanted an ID more than anything!

Well, I've seen a couple in gateshead but they looked more "grey" than these, not sure what the difference is between a male and female tbh.

I'm glad I've spotted some and I've seen them again so.. fingers crossed they will stay for a while!

Nice shot of a female, the male is the steely grey coloured bird. (y)

Here is a male (click to open image)

Last edited:
The Hunter has been Hunted :thinking::thinking:
Well spotted and captured :clap::clap:

Back