Uninteresting living near a canal path

What are you trying to achieve? Photos that you can post up on SM, which will hopefully gain you the affirmation of your peers, or images that caught your imagination and compelled you to want to capture them, for the sake of photography itself?

Don't try to force things. It's like having a poo; don't strain, it'll come of it's own accord, and you won't be left with a sore ring. Maybe you need to address your diet or employ the use of mild laxative though. Beyond that, see a doctor.

But I digress.

Don't feel compelled, just because you have a camera with you, that you HAVE to take photos. If nothing grabs you, then don't take any. You don't have to. Instead, look at what shapes, colours and light you can see. Try to strip things down to basic elements. Less is more. One suggestion I made to a lad I taught photography last year, is to maybe look for particular shapes, maybe triangles, or circles, look for images with those basic elements in, and work around that. Occam's Razor. It's a principle I've found works very well. Take out all that you don't need, and you're left with only that which matters.

No, but water could get in the camera and lens. ;)

I spent three hours in the rain this morning with my DSLR. It never went inside my coat!

I can affirm that.
I've just taken the dog outside - people and dogs don't melt either.

Tis true. Although people and dogs can get dejected.

_7512009.jpg

What are you trying to achieve? Photos that you can post up on SM, which will hopefully gain you the affirmation of your peers, or images that caught your imagination and compelled you to want to capture them, for the sake of photography itself?

Don't try to force things. It's like having a poo; don't strain, it'll come of it's own accord, and you won't be left with a sore ring. Maybe you need to address your diet or employ the use of mild laxative though. Beyond that, see a doctor.

But I digress.

Don't feel compelled, just because you have a camera with you, that you HAVE to take photos. If nothing grabs you, then don't take any. You don't have to. Instead, look at what shapes, colours and light you can see. Try to strip things down to basic elements. Less is more. One suggestion I made to a lad I taught photography last year, is to maybe look for particular shapes, maybe triangles, or circles, look for images with those basic elements in, and work around that. Occam's Razor. It's a principle I've found works very well. Take out all that you don't need, and you're left with only that which matters.

Me? I am not trying to achieve anything, other than getting some use of the gadgets that cost me so much money. ;)

Me? I am not trying to achieve anything, other than getting some use of the gadgets that cost me so much money. ;)
Let's try a slightly different question then.

What attracts you and interests you visually that may inspire you to use your expensive gadgets to create something with.

Let's try a slightly different question then.

What attracts you and interests you visually that may inspire you to use your expensive gadgets to create something with.

Probably the same as any hobbyist who takes photos for pleasure, and not for financial gain. For the memories and that certain feeling, a certain photo gives you.

So what is that actually interests you about photography then?

Your canal looks fairly well manicured Jon, with not a hint of mud, dead leaves or whatever on that path. Are there any locks on the stretch you walk, as they would be of more interest and perhaps even getting boats going through them? Old and/or rundown buildings would also be good, and fine subjects for your film camera!

Your canal looks fairly well manicured Jon, with not a hint of mud, dead leaves or whatever on that path. Are there any locks on the stretch you walk, as they would be of more interest and perhaps even getting boats going through them? Old and/or rundown buildings would also be good, and fine subjects for your film camera!

Only a couple of bridges in either direction, sometimes you might get a canal boat, but not often. I will have to veer off the path I think, and see what I can spot in the bushes and hedges. :)

Only a couple of bridges in either direction, sometimes you might get a canal boat, but not often. I will have to veer off the path I think, and see what I can spot in the bushes and hedges. :)
Maybe borrow a bicycle and go further along the canal? :thinking:

Hi,

Am I right that the canal you are talking about is the Bridgewater Canal and you live near Runcorn? How far are you from where canal joins the Mersey? Could you not time your walk when there is traffic entering or leaving the canal from Manchester. I live quite close to the same canal near Lymm but, I must admit, have not been able to find anywhere that gives a timetable for such traffic. Peel Ports' website does not really help. This is a good site for ideas - http://www.shipsofthemersey.me.uk/index?/category/130-manchester_ship_canal_runcorn_manchester

Some good shots on there of which I'm very envious.

Anyway good hunting.

Howard

Hi,

Am I right that the canal you are talking about is the Bridgewater Canal and you live near Runcorn? How far are you from where canal joins the Mersey? Could you not time your walk when there is traffic entering or leaving the canal from Manchester. I live quite close to the same canal near Lymm but, I must admit, have not been able to find anywhere that gives a timetable for such traffic. Peel Ports' website does not really help. This is a good site for ideas - http://www.shipsofthemersey.me.uk/index?/category/130-manchester_ship_canal_runcorn_manchester

Some good shots on there of which I'm very envious.

Anyway good hunting.

Howard

Yes that is where I am. Thanks for the link. I will keep an eye out near the bridges, and hope I can spot some wild life. :)

That does look like a very over tidy canal bank but if you find some areas with vegetation you’ll find plenty of insects to photograph
I’ve been chasing bugs for years now and haven’t got bored yet there’s so much to see

Try leaving the camera at home and walk the route looking at things rather than for a photo opportunity.

Try leaving the camera at home and walk the route looking at things rather than for a photo opportunity.

This is sound advice. Often, when I don't have a camera with me (or at least not a suitable one), I 'see' shots I could have taken. But this just serves to help me 'see' images better, I can often go back and take that pic if I want to. Having a camera with you, and just taking photos for the sake of it, isn't likely to give great results. As I said earlier; don't try to force it.

What about going "off piste" so to speak, instead of following the path, walk parallel to it but say 50 yards off to one side, then maybe the other side (if do-able) look for things like plants, shapes, light through the trees, old gates etc.
Or maybe explore all the little side paths, theres nearly always a few that people have used as short cuts, some of these come out in interesting places if your lucky.

What about going "off piste" so to speak, instead of following the path, walk parallel to it but say 50 yards off to one side, then maybe the other side (if do-able) look for things like plants, shapes, light through the trees, old gates etc.
Or maybe explore all the little side paths, theres nearly always a few that people have used as short cuts, some of these come out in interesting places if your lucky.

There is a Wood that runs parallel to the canal, can be a nice walk, and more things to see but tends to get very muddy. Looks like camera charged up, and Wellies on. lol

look for things like plants, shapes, light through the trees, old gates

along with patterns and textures.

Many togs complain about flat light causing a stumbling block when it comes to capturing decent shots but tbh bright harsh sunshine isn't always ideal and a grey overcast day can actually be beneficial, not least of all as it "forces" one to look closer rather than further.

It's surprising what one can come across just an arms length away.

TP.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes when things appear flat and uninteresting is when you need to stretch your compositional or creative thought, ie as has been suggested seeing an IR opportunity

Landscape-wise , this IS a terrible time of year to be looking for inspiration. Unless we get some snow or hoar frost or maybe a foggy morning or a showery day when there is a chance of a rainbow.........

Spring will soon be here (I keep telling myself) and wildlife will start to emerge. And when it does, don't miss it because mid-summer can be pretty uninspiring as well!

There is a Wood that runs parallel to the canal, can be a nice walk, and more things to see but tends to get very muddy. Looks like camera charged up, and Wellies on. lol

Round trip then! Up the muddy path then back along the canal with a boot swish to get the mud off!

Whack a ten stop on and set an exposure that will last the length of your walk. Then handhold your camera and walk the route. Repeat 50 times and you've got a fine art series

Interesting, but possibly a little tongue-in-cheek?

That kind of approach worked for Pookeyhead.

Canals are difficult to photograph in a way that's not cliched, boring or just a bit dull. They're man-made, but often without interesting decay and pass through flat terrain. Extremes of weather can help, as can golden or blue hours. I think you're more likely to get interesting images if you go around sunrise/set, when it's foggy or raining hard. If the air is still then you might get some good reflections, but as suggested earlier, don't try to force a picture - be happy to walk up & down looking for something that catches your imagination.

When you go to the canal next, try taking one more piece of equipment that could prove essential on a quiet canal like that. A lightweight folding chair, you may be surprised at just how much life turns up after you have walked along the deserted towpath if you sit awhile.

Hang a bird feeder or two, distribute a half pint of maggots over an hour or so (on land for robins etc.), maybe a few slices of bread for ducks. It may take a few days but they will come and your effort will be rewarded. Just don't overdo the feeding so it all get eaten without attracting rats.

Hang a bird feeder or two, distribute a half pint of maggots over an hour or so (on land for robins etc.), maybe a few slices of bread for ducks. It may take a few days but they will come and your effort will be rewarded. Just don't overdo the feeding so it all get eaten without attracting rats.

I tried this a few years ago. I sat at a lake with bird seed and a tin of luncheon meat.

I had shrews climbing over me and ducks eating out of my hand. Amazing.

I tried this a few years ago. I sat at a lake with bird seed and a tin of luncheon meat.

I had shrews climbing over me and ducks eating out of my hand. Amazing.

I was fishing once and a Robin ate more maggots than the fish did. I know it's hard to get a natural photo of birds on a feeder but once they start coming you can throw it on the grass or on a tree branch and reap the rewards. Even if you don't take photos you can get a lot of enjoyment out of watching them feed.

I'm pleased you have tried it before Roxanne.

When you go to the canal next, try taking one more piece of equipment that could prove essential on a quiet canal like that. A lightweight folding chair, you may be surprised at just how much life turns up after you have walked along the deserted towpath if you sit awhile.

I did toy with the folding chair idea, but just an added extra to carry, even a light weight one. But yes, it could be a good idea. :)

I did toy with the folding chair idea, but just an added extra to carry, even a light weight one. But yes, it could be a good idea. :)

£30 for this and there you go.

Ron_Thompson_Ontario_Backpack_Chair.jpg

Not sure if posting links to external sales sites is allowed so PM me if a search for fishing bag seat doesn't turn up something suitable.

Last edited:

A shooting stick would serve as a walking stick and a short term perch.

£30 for this and there you go.

View attachment 269574

Not sure if posting links to external sales sites is allowed so PM me if a search for fishing bag seat doesn't turn up something suitable.

I just might have a look at a bag like that. If I could get a small flask, and butties with room for a camera. :)

Back