Unsorted/Random Pictures From the Last ~18 Months

Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies for the slightly cumbersome thread title. Here are a few unsorted/'random' shots I've taken over the last 18 months or so. Some of them are from things like testing a new piece of gear (e.g. a new lens, wireless shutter release, variable ND filter), some are from days out where I only took a few shots, some are quite 'abstract' (read: odd...) and some are animals in the back garden.

I welcome any comments and/or constructive criticism. If you want to know anything about a particular shot in the gallery (including "Why have you picked this, it's terrible?") just let me know which picture(s) and I'll try and answer.

Thanks for reading.

Full Gallery

William Wallace monument from Loudoun Hill. I probably should have shot this at a wider aperture to try and blur out the trees in the background, but I like the strong contrast between the sky and monument.

From a small bridge on the Stroan Loch in the Galloway Forest Park. Unfortunately the water was never still, so the reflection isn't great. I like the 'God rays' coming from the clouds.

Another one from the Galloway Forest Dark Sky park. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have an additional flash (just the pop-up flash on my 650D which produced really bad fill light on the tree (too hard, not uniform)), so I tried to bring up some detail in the tree in post-production with some exposure and shadow increases. This is also quite noisy, but I like it anyway.

This was from a test of my Yongnuo wireless shutter release set. The garden is in shade most of the time (obstacles on roughly 3 sides mean there isn't a lot of light most of the time), so I had to use a flash to get a relatively fast shutter speed without bumping the ISO too much. Unfortunately the flash sync speed for my camera/flash is 1/200th of a sec, so this image wasn't quite as crisp as it could have been, with a bit of motion blur. Also, the flash light is a bit harsh (didn't have a diffuser for it back then).

One of the first test images I shot with my Tamron 70-300 VC USD lens. I like the colour and detail in the wings. Bokeh quality could be a bit better though, the branches in the background are a bit distracting. I suppose that's one of the downsides of not being able to afford an F2.8 or F4 though.

Saw this on a photo walk around where I live a couple of weeks after I got the camera. I liked the balance in composition between the tree and the cell tower.

Another one from early on. There was something about the side lighting in this that caught my eye. I wish I'd paid more attention to the background and attempted to re-frame it to clean that up.

Last edited:
Struan loch is a cracker

Another quick addition. Last week I ordered a (relatively) cheap set of close-up filters from Polaroid. I already had a set of extension tubes which I bought last year, but I never felt comfortable working with those (the fit with the camera body and lens wasn't great, probably because they were also quite cheap). So, the idea of close-up filters seemed more appealing because there's less risk involved. The quality of the filters seems not too bad, but there's some quality loss in there, especially away from the centre of the frame. I've only played about with them for a few hours so far (hoping to put a bit more in this weekend), but this is my favourite shot so far:

Went for quite a shallow depth of field to get the lion, unicorn and crown in focus, then performed a black & white conversion with Silver Efex Pro.

Shot with my Tamron 70-300mm VC USD lens at 300mm (~480mm equivalent in 35mm). I'm not sure exactly how far away the turbines are, but something in the region of 5 miles. It's a shame the treeline is there in the foreground.

Back