Unsure what to buy next.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. I am looking for a bit of advice on my next lens. I use a 450d and have had the kit 18-55 is2 lens. This has now had it and will no longer auto focus. I have a budget of around £150 to spend. Most of my shooting (95%) is drifting and motorsport so do a lot of panning. I am looking at the canon 18-135mm and the 18-200mm sigma but get mixed reviews on the sigma. I dont really need the extra reach of the sigma but it would be handy. Any suggestions?

Neither. Canon 18-200 IS. Its only a little more then the 18-135 and is the same speed but with a faster focus drive. It will also open up a larger world of creative photography for you having a bit more reach but still staying sharp.

Slightly above your budget but i just bought the tamron 18-270 for my wife recently and its an absolute cracker of a lens, she loves it pin sharp and good at both ends of the zoom, hth mike.

Neither. Canon 18-200 IS. Its only a little more then the 18-135 and is the same speed but with a faster focus drive. It will also open up a larger world of creative photography for you having a bit more reach but still staying sharp.

Just had a look into that and cant really find any that would be in budget. Max i could stretch to is about £200

Slightly above your budget but i just bought the tamron 18-270 for my wife recently and its an absolute cracker of a lens, she loves it pin sharp and good at both ends of the zoom, hth mike.

I think that would not quite be what i am looking for as i dont need the 270mm length and could do with being closer than 70mm as i do get fairly close to the action.

How about an EF-S 55 - 250.

I looked at this and thought maybe to buy the 18-55 and the 55-250 so i have a bit of variety.

Tamron, Sigma 70-300mm?

Again as before i dont need the 300mm zoom and could do with less than that. I looked at the Sigma 18 - 200 but have heard very mixed reviews on it.

Could you get by with manual focus and save up a little more / ask for some vouchers for christmas etc? You're not really going to get much worth buying in that price range unless you get a super deal on something second hand.

It is going to be second hand but i dont mind that. For what i shoot manual focus is just not going to cut it. I do motorsport so need to have autofocus. I am not bothered about having something that is 100% sharp and crisp because a lot of my shots are panning so its not like you are going to zoom in and look at every sticker on the car. I think its going to come down to a used Sigma / Tamron 18-200 or a Canon 18-55 & 55-250

Just had a look into that and cant really find any that would be in budget. Max i could stretch to is about £200

I think that would not quite be what i am looking for as i dont need the 270mm length and could do with being closer than 70mm as i do get fairly close to the action.

I looked at this and thought maybe to buy the 18-55 and the 55-250 so i have a bit of variety.

Again as before i dont need the 300mm zoom and could do with less than that. I looked at the Sigma 18 - 200 but have heard very mixed reviews on it.
PAY ATTENTION :bang: you ask for help then don't read the posts properly that reply to it. this is an 18-270 not a 70-270 :whistle:

Back