Unusual lens problem

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Like many of us, I love old camera gear. Included in that, I love vintage lenses. A few years ago I bought a Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 - the 15 blade bokeh monster - and used it happily with my 550D. I am currently on the hunt for vintage f/1.4 glass and it reminded me of this lens and so I dug it out. However, there's a problem.

Whenever I take a shot, the bottom quarter of the image is black. The only time I've seen this before is when you're trying to sync a flash to speeds it cannot handle. I've tried changing to a lot of different apertures, I've tried shutter speeds from very fast to very slow, I've taken it off the mount and refitted it but the problem persists.

Any ideas anyone?

I can't make out the circumstances when this is happening from your opening post - it's a little confusing and missing some vital information..

You're only getting the black line when the Pentacon 135/2.8 is fitted?
What mount is the Pentacon?
What adapter are you using?
Have you an alternative lens in the same mount you can try?

Can you please post an example shot - sometimes there's something that others can see about the problem that you haven't and it should be compulsory to post an example when asking a question like this.. ..

Sorry you're right, I wasn't clear - I had people in my ear whilst I was writing it.

Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 on Canon 5D II.
M42 with a miscellaneous adapter to EOS - it worked on my 550D.
I don't have an alternative unfortunately.

I will get an example shot up later. It's a perfectly straight black section at the bottom quarter of the image. It doesn't sound like it's clipping the mirror to me but I couldn't be sure.

From your last post, I'd stop using it immediately. The mirror is likely catching on the back of the lens or adapter....the mirror on the crop body is shorter so doesn't have the same issue.

Bob

You didn't mention the bit about the 5D before, and it's important.. ;)

I suspect it's the adapter - the 5D has a larger mirror than the 550D and the adapter may be obstructing it. This is a known problem for some m42 lenses with full-frame Canon bodies, but the Pentacon/Meyer 135/2.8 is generally reported as a lens without problems on the 5D. So that leaves the adapter.

Bugger. Ok, well mystery solved. Thanks chaps. I'll have to track down the f/1.4 I'm after for my vintage lens fix.

Just to rub salt in.. got my vintage f/1.4 fix last week, Carl Zeiss 50/1.4 Planar HFT ;)

If it is the adapter, until you change that you'll probably run into the same problem with every lens you use on it. I'd try a Big_IS adapter from Ebay, they're generally well regarded for use with Canon although I've only used one with a 40D.

Just to rub salt in.. got my vintage f/1.4 fix last week, Carl Zeiss 50/1.4 Planar HFT ;)

If it is the adapter, until you change that you'll probably run into the same problem with every lens you use on it. I'd try a Big_IS adapter from Ebay, they're generally well regarded for use with Canon although I've only used one with a 40D.

Consider my wound salted! How much did that set you back? That seems to be the best option in terms of wide open sharpness from a vintage lens. Did you get it from eBay?

It's not the adapter, I did some research and it turns out (as was said above) the bokeh monster doesn't play well with the 5D.

Consider my wound salted! How much did that set you back? That seems to be the best option in terms of wide open sharpness from a vintage lens. Did you get it from eBay?

Not as much as I feared.. I picked up for £150 from the Netherlands via an off-forum trade on another forum. Someone knew I'd had to send back the first one I bought on Ebay due to fungus a while ago and got on contact a couple of weeks ago to see if I was still interested, and to say they had one available. In the Rollei QBM mount it can be found for £150-200 if you have patience - other mounts seem to be substantially more desirable.

Back