UPDATE - First time early moring coastal sunrise shoot - tips please

• Thread starter Deleted member 9479
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9479

Hi all.

Much to everyone in my family's amusement (as I really like my pit) I am planning my first early morning coastal sunrise shoot in April near Southwold pier. I have seen some really nice shots of this and I will be in the area for a few days. I have also recently purchased a set of Ngrads that I want to try out.

Having just checked the sunrise times for the area on that date (5.50am :eek: :eek: :bonk:) and assuming that as it's on the east coast, providing the weather is ok, it should be an experience.

Has anyone got any tips, advice, or kit-to-use suggestions for a first timer at this.?

Kit includes 40D, Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 IS, Tamron 28-300 XR Di VC, Sigma 17-70 f2.8 DC.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It is usually sun sets that I shoot rather than the start of the day, but principles are the same.

My advice:
If you are fairly close, check out the location before hand, alternatively check it out on google maps (you could even try googles new street map thingy...)

With sunrise at 5:50 plan to get there at 5:20, ..... the number of sun sets I have missed because I did not get there early enough .....

Get set up in plenty of time, sunrise / sun set moves pretty fast when it begins to happen. Sun rise is harder because you are preparing in the dark, with sun sets you at least get to bang off a few shots to get the composition right before the light changes.

Remember your remote release (I prefer a cable rather than an IR or wireless release).

Use your live view and switch to MF, it is great for this type of tripod based stuff.

Remember to look after yourself ... Take a flask and a sandwhich, gloves, hat, coat .... and a small torch can be handy to find stuff in your bag.

Enjoy and share the results when you get them ...

And a torch can be really handy to focus.

Use the live view and zoom in to check focus.

Set the camera to bracket +2 and -2 stops just in case. Shoot in RAW.

Use an ND grad if possible, combine 2 exposures if not.

I love early morning shoots... they make me feel so alive. And in most cases you're completely alone - unless you're shooting at Saltwick Bay when you end up sharing the beach at 5am with two other togs!

I usually aim to arrive an hour before. The light before the sun is really nice and gentle/subtle. Once it comes up, It can be quite bright on any damp areas of coastal rock etc, creating quite strong highlights. Not got any real advice tbh, just enjoy the peace. :) Am looking forward to seeing the results.

:) Might sound daft, but have you been to the location before?
I'm sure many (I know I have) have made the mistake of turning up at a location hoping to capture a glorious sunset/sunrise only to rush about trying to find a suitable focal point to photograph and genrally missing the best light!

Hi all...

Many thanks for the feedback so far people - lots of notes made (y)

1. Yes I will post some images after the shoot.

2. I have been to the location before during the day, so I have an idea of where I want to be. I want to catch both the actual sunrise, and some early morning shots of the pier, not just because of the (hopefuly) sky but the fact that (again hopefully) there will be no-one around.

3. One thing I have noticed is that one-one has suggested or recommended a particlar lens to use. Is that because it doesn't really matter - just personal or framing choice to suit shot ?

4. Will69 - I get your point about the sunset - If time allows I will try to do the sunset the previous night or the same day (if my eyes stay open long enough :baby:).

Some good advice here already, I would echo all that has been said so far

1. Take a lens cloth so you can keep your lens/filters clean, if it's windy your glass may become covered in spray
2. If you're on wet sand, watch out for your tripod sinking during long exposures, can lead to your image being softer than expected
3. If you don't get that epic sunrise, don't be disheartened as there is always plenty of things to shoot - try thinking outside of the box, forget the 'big picture' and look at your feet. Abstracts and intimate landscapes/details galore

I got myself one of those little head torches and it is great for the early morning shoots
Also I have had problems with the tripod sinking in soft wet sand during long exposures so get a set of coasters you use under the feet of your couch
I also take a small towel and when set up for the shot and waiting for the right light I pop the towel over the camera and filters to stop any spray blowing onto the filters

Cathal

So apart from the camera and stuff, the 'additional' kit list now has:

• A towel
  • Food and drink

and I have a shopping list comprising of:

• A head torch
  • Fat furniture coasters (i like that one)
  • Some ND filters (some mentioned to me about needing these if the day is very clear and bright once the sun gets up)

Thanks for all the advice so far, keep it coming if you feel somthing has been missed. Really looking forward to this :woot: - however if it rains I will be really p*ssed :crying:

A head torch

I got a handheld huge rechargeable torch from B&Q just before xmas... only about a tenner. No need for batteries, and you can use it to aid focusing because it's so powerful. It has a little 'foot' so you can sit it on the floor, and angle it upwards.

I got myself one of those little head torches and it is great for the early morning shoots
Also I have had problems with the tripod sinking in soft wet sand during long exposures so get a set of coasters you use under the feet of your couch
Both great ideas which I'm going to incorporate into my routine.

UPDATE.. well much to the supprise of my family and friends, I was actually up and out the door at 4.58am on Saturday, and much to my supprise it was actually quite light even before the sun came up, so no need for the torch.

It appears that this must be fav spot as there were 5 other togs there!

The shoot went well (I think) - I did use the ND filters and a polariser and I have to say I'm pleased with my first attempt at these. Initial feedback from non-togs is really good, so it felt worth while.

I have just go back home from the weekend away (some 140 miles away from Southwold) and need my kip, so will post some images tomorrow as requested.

Can I just say thanks to everyone for your advice - it was all spot on and very much appreciated. (y)

Looking forward to your photo's, i'm going to Cleethorpes for the week and plan on doing some sunrises, and this thread is really helpful, thanks.

Get there at least an hour before (as has already been mentioned).

Remember to look behind you. Sometimes you can be concentrating too much on the actual sunrise and miss what the beautiful light is illuminating.

Wide angle lenses generally need some sort of foreground interest, otherwise you get large expanses of sand/sea with not much going on.

EDIT: Ah..... I see you have already been there!

Steve.

Last edited:
At last - sorry about the delay - here are the photos:

IMG_4706a1.jpg

IMG_4705a1.JPG

IMG_4743a1.JPG

IMG_4731a1.JPG

IMG_4702a1.JPG

IMG_4701a1.JPG

IMG_4760a1.JPG

IMG_4760a_bw1.JPG

8. I thought this image would work with some B&W treatment. Yes.. no..?

1-6 taken using Sigma 10-20 with ND and CPL, 7 taken using Tamron 28-300 VC and same ND CPL combo.

Hope you like - would really appreciate feedback on these, as this shoot has been based on info and advice from this and other threads. First time using ND's (and getting up at 4.45am!!!)

Cheers all.

Some really great shots well worthwhile the early morning rise (y)

what strenth nd filter did you use

I like the b&w not to sure on the frame

:clap:
At last - sorry about the delay - here are the photos:

IMG_4706a1.jpg

IMG_4705a1.JPG

IMG_4743a1.JPG

IMG_4731a1.JPG

IMG_4702a1.JPG

IMG_4701a1.JPG

IMG_4760a1.JPG

IMG_4760a_bw1.JPG

8. I thought this image would work with some B&W treatment. Yes.. no..?

1-6 taken using Sigma 10-20 with ND and CPL, 7 taken using Tamron 28-300 VC and same ND CPL combo.

Hope you like - would really appreciate feedback on these, as this shoot has been based on info and advice from this and other threads. First time using ND's (and getting up at 4.45am!!!)

Cheers all.
Excellent effort. For a first time with ND (and getting up at 4:45) these shots are something to be very pleased with.:clap:

As someone who has to get up at the crack of dawn (I start work at 5.45/6.00 am), I say you did very very well with those. It is well worth getting up at that silly-o-clock time of the day. I love those subtle colours and how the very early morning dawn light has the effect of making things look very different.
Good work.

Back