[UPDATE] - Home plugs

Name
Eric
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought a dual pack of these form Wack (thread here)

Now, can I use any brand to add to this, or do I have to use the same make/model as what I have to extend the network?

Thanks!

UPDATE

Ok, so I had the Net-X 200mb ones. I purchased a TP-Link one (Both AV) 200mb also.

Plugged it in and no go. Ran the network tool for the TP-Link one, it found my other two, highlighted one of them, and it connected first time.

So yes, to my original question, brands do mix (same speed), well the two brands I have anyway!

Thanks all for your input.

Eric

Last edited:
Had a read and nothing! Although a few forums say aslong as they are the same speed, they should work fine.

I don't have any but a friend who has had problems getting different makes to talk to each other. Also had same make different speed and they definitely didn't!

as far as I am aware you can use them with any other unit with the same chipset and speed ie yours are homeplug av (other main type are DS2) so just make sure you do not get a set of ds2 ones and you should be fine

Depending on their standard, there is a homeplug standard, at various versions. Find out the version they are running, and make sure the new ones you buy are the same version or higher. You might have a little setup to do to join a new one to an existing pair. I have 4 running in my house without a problem

The Net-X I have, I did not setup anything. Plugged and go.
Is there much to do as regards to adding a 3rd party one?

If I remember correctly, these have a form of encryption that can be enabled. I guess they would need to have the same key? Maybe thats why they might not work cross brands?

slightly OT but to add a wireless homeplug AP in a distant room in the house what do I need to add at the router?

They need to be the same brand in my experience.

I used to have the net-x ones and they were fantastic, never dropped or anything.
But when i wanted to add more i could not find anyone selling net-x any more, so purchased another brand expecting them all to work with each other.

They didn't.

So i sold the perfectly good 200mb net-x ones, sent back the new ones and purchased four gigabit belkin home plugs. I decided it was worth paying out the extra to get a well known brand so i was future proof and wouldn't have the same problem should i want to get more at any time.

The belkin ones are crap. Run much much slower than the net-x, and regularly drop connection all together, i'm talking a couple of times an hour.

Looking forward to ripping up the floorboards and cunning some cat5 now. :LOL:

I think you would just need a couple of homeplugs. Then get a wireless access point. Pop the homeplug into the wireless access point, then that will become a wifi device in that area. Thus expanding your network.

Perhaps something like this

Dave, thats incorrect. I have Net-X which I bought from this forum. I am now running that with a TP-Link one from eBay. Took the time of installing the software, and hitting the connect button to pair.

I can not speak for the brand you tried to match with the Net-X, but works just fine for me.

Eric

They need to be the same brand in my experience.

I used to have the net-x ones and they were fantastic, never dropped or anything.
But when i wanted to add more i could not find anyone selling net-x any more, so purchased another brand expecting them all to work with each other.

They didn't.

So i sold the perfectly good 200mb net-x ones, sent back the new ones and purchased four gigabit belkin home plugs. I decided it was worth paying out the extra to get a well known brand so i was future proof and wouldn't have the same problem should i want to get more at any time.

The belkin ones are crap. Run much much slower than the net-x, and regularly drop connection all together, i'm talking a couple of times an hour.

Looking forward to ripping up the floorboards and cunning some cat5 now. :LOL:

Cheers:)

Sorry, mine were different speeds also, i missed that when reading your first post.
Still, don't get the bloomin belkins. lol

LOL, yes they do need to be the same speed, I managed to find that bit before I bought the TP-Link ones! They also both need to be AV or DS2, depending on which you have originally. My Net-X were AV, so bought AV TP-Link.

Back