UPDATED- NikonSimon's 52 for 2011- Week 3- 'Style'

Hi Simon,

Nice take on the theme and I think it works really well in B&W.
My only crit would be that for me there is a little too much black space above the subject. Apart from that its nice.

Ben

PS. I think that a lot of members dont look at the 52's until they have posted there's so it maybe that you get more feedback later on in the week.

Hi Simon,

Nice take on the theme and I think it works really well in B&W.
My only crit would be that for me there is a little too much black space above the subject. Apart from that its nice.

Ben

PS. I think that a lot of members dont look at the 52's until they have posted there's so it maybe that you get more feedback later on in the week.

Thanks Ben, and yeah, I know what you mean about the black space. That's actually slightly cropped from the original, but maybe I needed to do a little bit more.

And yes, and know what you mean about feedback etc. I just didn't want my thread getting lost on page two or three! I posted it last night, and it was halfway down page two already this morning!

Thanks for your comments.

And yes, and know what you mean about feedback etc. I just didn't want my thread getting lost on page two or three! I posted it last night, and it was halfway down page two already this morning!

Yeh I know what you mean. Pheraps give it a bump Firday sometime as post people will probably have posted theirs by then..

I'm still trying to figure out what im going to do :cautious:

Yeh I know what you mean. Pheraps give it a bump Firday sometime as post people will probably have posted theirs by then..

I'm still trying to figure out what im going to do :cautious:

I'll keep a look out for yours. I just got a bit lucky with mine really. Didn't have a clue what I was going to do, took this shot randomly, and then applied a lose interpretation of theme!

Hiya Simon,

Wow you have been quick off the mark for this weeks theme, and DRAT! you have used an idea that I was going to use .... never-the-less I am still going to use it as I had a bit of a different take with the same subject ;) OMG I am so excited about this theme because I have a great idea (well I think it is), but is going to really be pushing the boundries and is something I haven't tried before and is going to take a lot of prep work :D

As for your pic, I agree with what has been said about the the dark space .... the subject gets a bit lost in the frame. I do however like the b&W (y) The whites look a tad over-exposed and to be honest I wouldn't have really known what the pic was about without the description. But I like your thinking for this one - perhaps that is where a crop would have helped.

Well now you have all the time to go and comment on the other posts seeing as you have posted yours :D

I understand about your 'posting early', but don't worry, I think there will be many passing, especially if they are keeping track via the spreadsheet. Just give it some time, granted we all lead busy lives, but I think the dedication shown in weeks 1 and 2 proved that there are some very eager participants in this project.

Now I better get on with putting my pic together, it could take some time to do this one (even went out to buy some props today :LOL:) not to mention some that I made.

This may be early but I do look forward to seeing your week 4, and I will be keeping an eye on the comments others leave for you, afterall that is how we learn.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Last edited:
Hi Simon,like the week 3 shot & agree that maybe too much black space above it . No expert but personnally I'd have liked to have seen the shot in color possibly with the still dark background,just to make it easier to know what is was. (But thats just my opinion)
Good luck with next 49 weeks...... :)

Hi Simon,like the week 3 shot & agree that maybe too much black space above it . No expert but personnally I'd have liked to have seen the shot in color possibly with the still dark background,just to make it easier to know what is was. (But thats just my opinion)
Good luck with next 49 weeks...... :)

Hi Lynne,

I actually originally shot in colour, but it doesn't work nearly as well as in B&W. I quite like shooting high contrast scenes like that in B&W. In colour the background doesn't look nearly as dark.

re: the dark space above. That's actually slightly cropped from the original. Maybe I should have cropped some more! I actually quite like the empty space above the material, but maybe I could've had a bit less

Thanks
Simon

Excellent lighting on the shot. I actually like the black space. The thing that spoils the photo for me slightly is the plastic/polythene bag? It seems to be a bit shiny and reflecting light. I think with just sheets/blankets/paper (non refelective) materials the shot would look... for the want of a better word, would look more 'classic'

Excellent lighting on the shot. I actually like the black space. The thing that spoils the photo for me slightly is the plastic/polythene bag? It seems to be a bit shiny and reflecting light. I think with just sheets/blankets/paper (non refelective) materials the shot would look... for the want of a better word, would look more 'classic'

Thanks Ray.

Completely agree. Unfortunately, I didn't 'stage' it at all. It was just a one off shot which I realised would work as my style shot. Wish I'd paid more attention and removed the plastic wallet.

it's simple and I like it :) Personally I think the black space works well and helps emphasise the lighting. (y)

Thanks Paul. That's my thoughts too. I like the black space, but others don't. That's the good thing about photography, everyone has a different opinion on what they like and what they don't.

cheers for the comments

Back