Updating Firmware on Grey Tamron Lenses - A small heads up

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

This Is something that I have just discovered, so it may help others out. Awhile back I bought a Tamron 100-400mm lens from E-Infinity and was absolutely chuffed with it, however upon my research into Mirrorless systems, I discovered that it needed a firmware update via the Tap-In Console for RF support. So I done some checking and Tamron clearly state on their Website that firmware updates can only be downloaded to lenses that have legally been imported into the EU.

So just over a week ago I thought I would take the risk & so I ordered the Tap-In Console from E-Infinity, which arrived today. I am extremely happy to report that not only did the firmware update but I was also successfully able to calibrate some aspects of the 100-400mm and not only is the AF completely silent but also is a lot sharper than it was before. I know that the Grey market is Marmite on here, but just wanted to give my experience to others that have lenses can be updated if required.

Unsurprising, same product but an excellent result! (y)

In all honesty twist, I didn’t know what was going to happen, as on the Tamron Website it clearly states :

Note: This overwrite service will only apply to products which were legally and officially imported into the EU, Andorra, Gibraltar, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Turkey or Ukraine, and distributed by an authorized Tamron Europe distributor (see also: Grey market)”

So am well chuffed it worked in my favour.

In all honesty twist, I didn’t know what was going to happen, as on the Tamron Website it clearly states :

Note: This overwrite service will only apply to products which were legally and officially imported into the EU, Andorra, Gibraltar, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Turkey or Ukraine, and distributed by an authorized Tamron Europe distributor (see also: Grey market)”

So am well chuffed it worked in my favour.

You rebel, proved them wrong, a nice bit of info for those with the same kit and exactly what a lot of people will google for (Ive never seen a message like that with updates, so good to have a confirmation). Great job mate.

Trying to get my head around how that would even be possible to do. :thinking:

You rebel, proved them wrong, a nice bit of info for those with the same kit and exactly what a lot of people will google for (Ive never seen a message like that with updates, so good to have a confirmation). Great job mate.

I didn’t really mean to be a rebel but i needed to see if it worked, as had it not worked, then i would had needed to purchase another glass that was already fully compatible with RF etc.

Trying to get my head around how that would even be possible to do. :thinking:

I think the only way to do it is by a SN block, Tamron detect it when you connect the lens & it returns with a error similar to a region block message. It may have just been that because I imported the Tap-In Console as well, that it was successful, I really do not know.

The men that oppose grey suits will visit you to enforce.

Should have had my VPN active when doing the update

I was under the impression Tamron UK would upgrade firmware on UK lenses for free, and a £50 (I think) charge for non UK/EU sourced lenses.

To upgrade my non EU 100-400, I just bought a Tap In console second hand for £49, upgraded the lens firmware and then sold it on eBay for the same as I paid for it. Bargain! Never had any error codes or problems updating the lens.

Last edited:
Back