Upgrade 60D to 6D for low light?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I currently use a Canon 60D and am considering upgrading to a 6D. The reason is I shoot a lot of latin and ballroom dancing and often in poor lighting. Or should I consider a second hand 5DMkiii?

I am happy to use the 60D upto iso 1600 but above that the image quality is not what I am happy with even after PP.

Would I see a marked improvement using a 6D?

Thanks

Second hand 5Dmkiii would probably be better in terms of AFing those moving subjects in low light. The 6D only really has 1 strong point, centre point, which is okay if thats all you use. Low light and DR is slightly better than the 5Diii.

Im guessing youll see 1 1/2 stop improvement.

Last edited:
I love my 6D:)

Full frame will give you a marked improvement in noise at higher ISO, I'm looking at a similar change for indoor sports. The 6D images look great but the lack of cross af points and slower fps is pushing me towards the 5dMkiii but its hard to find the extra cash.

Having used a 6D for over two years I can without reservation say it is the best low light camera I have owned. I am certain that you would find it a definite improvement.

Hi All

I currently use a Canon 60D and am considering upgrading to a 6D. The reason is I shoot a lot of latin and ballroom dancing and often in poor lighting. Or should I consider a second hand 5DMkiii?

I am happy to use the 60D upto iso 1600 but above that the image quality is not what I am happy with even after PP.

Would I see a marked improvement using a 6D?

Thanks
Much, much better. I was shooting a wedding at 10,000 ISO happily at the weekend!

6d is about 1/2 stop better than 5d3 at high ISO, and has advantage at being able to focus in lower light using centre point, 5d3 has advantage of better tracking and focus points spread accross frame

I don't rate the 5d3 at high ISO, my a7s is insane at high ISO, if you're going to change your entire lens line up then maybe worth jumping ship to a Nikon d810

Fortunately I have several EF lenses so don't think it's worth changing systems. My wife also has a 60d.

Back