Upgrade CS5 to CS6

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I am wanting to download and use some new brushes which only work with Adobe PS CS 6 or above.
I am using Adobe PS CS 5, is there an upgrade to CS 6 ? I have checked the Adobe site but unable to find what i am looking for...
Any help please.

PS 5 to PS6 ?

Sad to say you are years out of date........it is all/only subscription now. And to boot PS 6 was last sold a few years back!

I am using Adobe PS CS 5, is there an upgrade to CS 6 ? I have checked the Adobe site but unable to find what i am looking for

You could contact Adobe and ask them, if they have an old CS6 beta version, some years ago they were giving free downloads for CS2 and 3 as years have passed, they could possibly do that with CS6 now.

I'm afraid Adobe will be no help whatsoever. They've stopped selling CS6, and only want to push subscriptions. The special CS2 downloads were meant for people who had already bought CS2 and could no longer activate it using the original installers, since Adobe had killed the activation servers. Lots of other people downloaded them anyway, which is probably why they made CS3 licence holders jump through hoops to get activation-free installers when they killed the servers for that version. The special CS2 and CS3 installers have now been removed from Adobe's site, which doesn't bode well for owners of later versions. They might kill the activation servers for these without providing any other means of installing or re-installing the software you thought you owned. If you want anything more recent than CS5, you either have to subscribe to CC, or look at alternatives like Affinity Photo:

Easiest way is to pick up a legal CD copy on eBay. You can normally find plenty of them. I bought my CS4 that way.

The first thing I bought (with some trepidation at the time) was PS5.5 but had to make sure it was de-registered with Adobe .......they had a very specific process in regard to what the seller has to do & declare. I then bought the upgrade to PS6.

So, if PS4 is the same and so old can it still be installed and activated as appropriate?

The first thing I bought (with some trepidation at the time) was PS5.5 but had to make sure it was de-registered with Adobe .......they had a very specific process in regard to what the seller has to do & declare. I then bought the upgrade to PS6.

So, if PS4 is the same and so old can it still be installed and activated as appropriate?

Yep. There are no updates, obviously but it works fine, at least on Mojave. I recently installed my CS4 on a new MacBook Pro without any problems. I'm still waiting to hear how it functions with Big Sur so am waiting to upgrade but otherwise it's fine.

CS4, 5 and 6 can still be activated. Pre-CS versions like PS7.0 don't need activation. You might still find Adobe's download page for the CS2 special installers cached on archive.org. Legitimate secondhand copies of CS6 are pretty expensive; cheap copies probably aren't legitimate!

These days Adobe only want you to subscribe to CC.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure that subscription is my way, as i don't use PS as much as i once did. Not sure of the costs either.

The standard price is £120 a year for Photoshop and Lightroom, though there are sometimes discounts.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure that subscription is my way, as i don't use PS as much as i once did. Not sure of the costs either.
Sounds like it's time you tried Affinity Photo.
90% of Photoshop for 10% of the price.

With the current discount, Affinity costs about the same as 10 weeks of a Creative Cloud subscription. Nikon users like the original poster can download a free copy of NX Studio or Capture One Express and have a pretty complete solution for peanuts.

Capture one express does not have all the same tools as the full version of Capture One. So depends what the software is required for.

Depending on which bits of PS you use, PSE (Elements) might be worth looking into.

Capture one express does not have all the same tools as the full version of Capture One. So depends what the software is required for.
Sure - one major thing it leaves out is local editing. But that's something you can do in Affinity, so they complement each other rather well. NX Studio has a similar niche, but it's only for Nikon. Capture One Express is also free to Sony and Fuji users.

I suppose for how much i am using PS these days i can keep prodding along with CS5. Although interestingly after seeing the above mentioned about NX Studio , i have found my copy of Nikon View NX2 in my D750 box, not sure if and how it performs ?

Their latest one is NX Studio:

Like Capture One Express, it pairs well with Affinity Photo.

Adobe PS CC has some pretty nice tricks. I'm not sure if they are available on earlier versions but the Sky Replacement feature is scary good and I also quite like the Neural functions. There's also a quick Selection tool just for the sky which is handy.

Back