Upgrade from 30D to 40D - worth it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

just curious as to whether anyone thinks that trading up from the 30D to the 40D is worth it at £150 or thereabouts?

It would be used for wildlife and macro work.

Mike.

Very much doubt it for macro work unless you intend to use liveview. Possibly for wildlife work though... What about skipping the 40d and getting the 50d instead?

Very much doubt it for macro work unless you intend to use liveview. Possibly for wildlife work though... What about skipping the 40d and getting the 50d instead?

Hi,

I wish, not wanting to spend as much as that although it would be nice it was just to upgrade my dad's one for him ;).

Mike.

Mike,

I think it depends on the type of wildlife you're shooting. There may be some benefit from the improved AF for targets that you're tracking.
The second point is the sensor resolution....2MP extra. If you're filling the frame and doing very little cropping in PP then you might see something worthwhile. If you're cropping in PP then the extra MP in the shot starts to become less and less relevent in simple pixel on target terms.

I've pondered a similar move for a while but managed to resist....the 50D (from a 30D) "ups the anti" though.

The challenges with macro are far too numerous that simply upping the resolution will give a fantastic improvement....IMO

Bob

Back