Upgrade from a D3100 to a D5100

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I have a D3100 which I am learning on at the moment but have been offered a D5100 at a really good price by a client I have done some work for.
Now I am after a bit of advice, will I notice much difference between the 2 or should I stick with the D3100 and sell the D5100.

There are differences but I don't think we're talking night and day here.

A few more mp's
Probably a stop or so better iso performance
Better video
Flippy screen
A few in built in gimmicks
Bracketing

Unless the swap is a cheap one, I'd probably not bother.

As above, it's not a huge leap, but if you won't loose money on it, then it guess there a few extras there to make it worthwhile, but you certainly won't be blown away by the differences.

Would have to find about £30 cash for the upgrade. Looking at it I think I will go for it as iso performance is slightly better and a lot of my photos are in low light.

I upgraded from the D3100 and so far I have found the D5100 a better camera specially in terms of slightly better DR, custom controls and few other features.

If the price difference is not huge, the D5100 is a better choice.

I bought d3100 new and returned it after couple of days as I found that d5100 sits better in my hands. I like the fact that i can close the screen when not in use so that it's protected. also prefer not to have that horrible thing for LV on d3100. Sensor on d5100 is the same as highly regarded one as on d7000. Would I notice the difference? I doubt it. For me, it was worth the money. Pick one that feels right in your hands, you'll forget about price difference very very quickly.

I bought d3100 new and returned it after couple of days as I found that d5100 sits better in my hands. I like the fact that i can close the screen when not in use so that it's protected. also prefer not to have that horrible thing for LV on d3100. Sensor on d5100 is the same as highly regarded one as on d7000. Would I notice the difference? I doubt it. For me, it was worth the money. Pick one that feels right in your hands, you'll forget about price difference very very quickly.

Hi mate could you tell me where you got your D5100 from as the wife is now saying she might want one as well, seems you got a good deal with the lens and battery.

D5100 from SRS (Watford) £275.
Lens from JL (their price £204 price matched to £149) from Bristol Cameras or something (check camerapricebuster for latest).

Or maybe just ring few outfits and see if they are going to combine 18-105 instead of 18-55.

HTH.

Back