Beginner Upgrade from Canon 1000D where next? 700D or further into space?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys and thanks for your time.

Im looking to upgrade possible spending up to £500 but hoping for around £300.
I have 1000D ( bought for £300ish ) also have Samyang fisheye, 10-20 wide angle & kit lens.

Something that has a more useable ISO range for faster, sharper shots as action and low light is where the 1000D falls short for me but that could be me.
Something that does video.

I like the idea of the flip screen on the 700D and would use it all the time.
I like the extended ISO range on the 700D but don't know how much of this is usable.
I like the idea that i could use Magic Lantern on the 700D itself to unlock more features ( ive no idea what they are atm or if worth influencing camera choices )
I like the idea of the magnet motors on the kit lenses.

Is the 750D better than the 700D or is there a better model out at the mo?
Were to buy new as its not on Panomoz, E-infinity?
Were to buy second hand and are there guarantees/warranties with MPB ?

London based.

Last edited:
Just a personal view not entirely scientific. You emphasised sharper, however you didn’t say why your current photos are not sharp, if it’s the lens a newer body may not help. When it comes to low light whilst there are some improvements in the newer sensors you might still be dissatisfied with the performance as you could be looking at the most a two stop improvement I.e ISO 800 equals 3200 on the newer body. You may find that only a newer body plus faster (lets more light in) lenses may do the trick. If you add in good noise reduction software then you would find better results. The autofocus on newer cameras dependant on the model would be much improved. What genre of photography do you participate in?( landscapes, portraits etc)

A 750d used, is around your budget, 24mp sensor with much better low light capability, but as said above, you still need the right lines and technique.

DSLR's are arguably an evolutionary dead end with the near future belonging more to mirrorless and for the advantages that mirrorless may bring I personally would be looking to go that way. DSLR's are sometimes cheaper but (again, I personally) wouldn't invest any significant amount of money into them, I'd rather sell up and go mirrorless.

If staying with DSLR's maybe be best move would be to get a 17/18-50mm f2.8. I think Sigma and Tamron both do them whilst the Canon equivalent may be more expensive or at least that's how it was when I had Canon DSLR's.

Just a personal view not entirely scientific. You emphasised sharper, however you didn’t say why your current photos are not sharp, if it’s the lens a newer body may not help. When it comes to low light whilst there are some improvements in the newer sensors you might still be dissatisfied with the performance as you could be looking at the most a two stop improvement I.e ISO 800 equals 3200 on the newer body. You may find that only a newer body plus faster (lets more light in) lenses may do the trick. If you add in good noise reduction software then you would find better results. The autofocus on newer cameras dependant on the model would be much improved. What genre of photography do you participate in?( landscapes, portraits etc)
Hiya, any view is fine lol. Ok sharpness may not be the best word its more unable to freeze action. Especially if not in direct sunlight for example on a sunny day but between 2 buildings with a protest crowd. I cant find the shots now or remember the settings but lets say 1/6000!! It will freeze but will lean on the dark side and the only way i can counter this is firing the flash to get on ok exposure without so many shadows in the stuff close by. Ive got to admit i just sort of hold the camera up and fire rather than use the view finder, spray and prey approach. I should try and find some shots.

Yes im hoping for i higher usable iso so 3200 or more without noticeable noise would be great . Not sure i want to buy more lenses but the fish eye seems to give good results if a little soft. I think its 3.5f not to mention getting a lot into the frame.

Autofocus also seems to be an issue. The fish eye is manual so i just dont adjust it.

Has auto focus improved much since the 100d?

focusing was also an issue. Again i would adjust the flash setting accordingly, manual focus, spray and prey.

When i took photos of buildings i always used a tripod so everything was much more controllable. Ive been taking photos of protests and large gatherings more recently and this is where the iissue comes up, especially at dusk and at night, ... forget it or face a bit of blurr or a lot of noise.

As i think the camera has gone past its recommend actuations and i did a lot of bracketed shots for buildings and was out every weekend for a couple of years.

Not sure if im making any sense.

Ill try and dig out some photos tommorow.

Sharpness is usually more indicative of a shortfall in the lens or technique departments, not the body.
Yes i think your right. My technique is shocking. I basically want the camera to just freeze everything with a decent exposure but waving it around only increases the speed of what ever is already in motion i think.

I hope that everything is frozen instantly but this is not always the case.

there are probably sharper lenses but im unlikely to invest. If its not blurry then high pass filter overlay does wonders.

DSLR's are arguably an evolutionary dead end with the near future belonging more to mirrorless and for the advantages that mirrorless may bring I personally would be looking to go that way. DSLR's are sometimes cheaper but (again, I personally) wouldn't invest any significant amount of money into them, I'd rather sell up and go mirrorless.

If staying with DSLR's maybe be best move would be to get a 17/18-50mm f2.8. I think Sigma and Tamron both do them whilst the Canon equivalent may be more expensive or at least that's how it was when I had Canon DSLR's.

Are there any budget mirrorless camera that could compare to something like a 750/700D?

Agreed. many phone cameras can compare to traditional cameras nowadays and for most, it is their go to.

Yes again. less moving parts, less to go wrong. DSLRs are big and heavy.

Mirrorless cameras area way forward and ive seen some amazing low light handheld shots with them but these cameras were a grand plus! Then add lenses.

I think that after my next purchase that would be the way i would go unless the tech changes and something smaller, lighter and better pops up.

Yep it seems for £200 i could get your suggested 2.5. That would be quicker i think but not sure i want to buy more lenses.

I have Sigma 202101 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM, kit lens and SAMYANG 8 mm f / 3.5 IF MC Fisheye Lens and cant help but feel the money would be better spent on the camera side of things as mine is on the way out anyway. Maybe i should get another Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM but the last one was made very plasticky and got stuck on the camera so i had to dismantle it off!!!

Last edited:
Yes i think your right. My technique is shocking. I basically want the camera to just freeze everything with a decent exposure but waving it around only increases the speed of what ever is already in motion i think.

I hope that everything is frozen instantly but this is not always the case.

there are probably sharper lenses but im unlikely to invest. If its not blurry then high pass filter overlay does wonders.
Brush up on your technique... Thats the free bit.

A 750d used, is around your budget, 24mp sensor with much better low light capability, but as said above, you still need the right lines and technique.

Where would be the best place to buy a second hand or new in your experience? e-infin doesn't seem to sell them at the moment ( the cheapest new i could find ) or degital rev or Panomoz, maybe end of line?

Used scares me a little especially if there is no warranty but according to e -infin they brand new the are £399 so i wouldn't mind a risk if there is a second hand for £200/£300. Is this likely?

Last edited:
Hi, it does sound like the main problem is technique. Without working on that you could spend as much as you like and still be disappointed with the results.

You mention capturing action in low light. One option to improve that is to get a lens that lets in more light. The 50mm f1.8 is a common choice as its relatively inexpensive.

Hi, it does sound like the main problem is technique. Without working on that you could spend as much as you like and still be disappointed with the results.

You mention capturing action in low light. One option to improve that is to get a lens that lets in more light. The 50mm f1.8 is a common choice as its relatively inexpensive.

yup i agree, ive do try and hold sturdy, lean on walls at 3.5 ( as wide as my lenses go ) and as fast a shutter speed as i can get away then fire flash to fill in the exposure with but it can be hit or miss.

Thanks for your suggestion, it makes sense. Years ago someone said the same thing to me. i did get a 50mm f1.8 but didn't like it very much. I think it had a very small frame so didn't get much into the shot, then it got stuck on the camera.

I still cant help feel that a higher useable iso would help. I would also like video.

What are people using to find actuations shutter count nowadays. i think i use EOSInfo before but that doesn't seem available. also tried to upload an image but the sit couldn't find the shutter count. Its for 1000D?

This is turning into a rabbit hole :) and im not sure ill explain it well but it seems im even debating on a Canon Mark III full frame but my lenses are for crop sensors. Simply as the cost is similar for second hand.

If i crop the black viginerating from the 5D iii image ( full frame ) would i just be left with exact same shot taken from my 1000D ( crop sensor )? Eg shots will be exactly the same as my current camera but i will have 5D iii features at my disposal. I just need to batch crop all images.

Last edited:
Are there any budget mirrorless camera that could compare to something like a 750/700D?

I'm not really up on what's available and how it all compares but I think it's fair to say that Canon haven't been at the ultimate cutting edge of sensor technology and your lenses may not be amongst the best either so just about any modern APS-C or even Micro Four Thirds camera and a decent lens or two could be worth looking into. Other than APS-C and MFT the Sony A7 is "full frame" and offers good image quality if rather mediocre focus performance, relatively slow but accurate, if it's still available but if not I wonder if you'd consider buying used? Actually that's an idea as I've bought quite a bit of used kit without headaches.

LOL yeah, tell me about it.

I wouldn't mind a 5D IV........ or equivalent and i couldn't blame the camera then :)

Whilst in some aspects a top end camera makes some things easier, they do punish poor technique as well.

Not recommended to fit crop lenses to full frame cameras, its possible the mirror can hit the back of the lens which isn't a good thing...

I'm not really up on what's available and how it all compares but I think it's fair to say that Canon haven't been at the ultimate cutting edge of sensor technology and your lenses may not be amongst the best either so just about any modern APS-C or even Micro Four Thirds camera and a decent lens or two could be worth looking into. Other than APS-C and MFT the Sony A7 is "full frame" and offers good image quality if rather mediocre focus performance, relatively slow but accurate, if it's still available but if not I wonder if you'd consider buying used? Actually that's an idea as I've bought quite a bit of used kit without headaches.
Thanks, yeah its a minefield thanks for your insight. I had to google Micro Four Thirds camera , they look interesting and ill look further into it. This would make my lenses etc redundant and a sell up, something i may well consider.

Im warming more to the used now as the prices are so much lower and i dont mind what it looks like as long as it works and has a decent lifespan and performance. Thanks for the vote for used stuff, it make me fell a little more confident.

Whilst in some aspects a top end camera makes some things easier, they do punish poor technique as well.

Not recommended to fit crop lenses to full frame cameras, its possible the mirror can hit the back of the lens which isn't a good thing...
Technique is good to know. I would like to walk through a door on any scene any where in the world and even before getting a camera out know exactly what settings to use. Knowledge is power, learn the rules and break them etc lol Ive defiantly got some work to catch up on. Ultimately though it seems composition, kit, story telling seem to be other add ons.

Yeah ive seen good things about the 5d and everyone banged on about its video also so when i saw a second hand one for 150 more then i was considering paying for a lower spec i started to sweat a little.

Ah didnt know about mirror hitting lens. Ive also stupidly realised that the vinaigrette will also be in the video and that sounds like a nightmare. Ive also just realised that if i had bought lenses that would have fitted a full frame camera in the first place i could have then switched over but to be honest several years ago the cost of buying a brand new 5D put me off.

Back