Beginner Upgrade from Canon 1100D

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, i currently have a Canon 1100D and im finally looking to upgrade as i feel i have reached the cameras limitations, and i generally find it quite slow, and the images not of the quality i would like.

I have a budget of around £400 (although could go to £500 at a stretch), and im looking for a jack of all trades camera. I tend to take a lot of animal pics (dog sports/horse sports, livestock etc) plus scenery (needs to be able to handle dark woodlands) with a view to getting a decent zoom and taking more wildlife photos. So it does need to be good with action shots. Video isnt a consideration.

Im currently veering towards a Nikon rather than a Canon at the moment, and have been looking at the D3300 and the D5200, but i now find myself out of my depth looking at the specs due to my amateur stasis.

If anyone has any advice, or suggestions i would really appreciate it.

Hi, i currently have a Canon 1100D and im finally looking to upgrade as i feel i have reached the cameras limitations, and i generally find it quite slow, and the images not of the quality i would like.

I have a budget of around £400 (although could go to £500 at a stretch), and im looking for a jack of all trades camera. I tend to take a lot of animal pics (dog sports/horse sports, livestock etc) plus scenery (needs to be able to handle dark woodlands) with a view to getting a decent zoom and taking more wildlife photos. So it does need to be good with action shots. Video isnt a consideration.

Im currently veering towards a Nikon rather than a Canon at the moment, and have been looking at the D3300 and the D5200, but i now find myself out of my depth looking at the specs due to my amateur stasis.

If anyone has any advice, or suggestions i would really appreciate it.

I can't comment on Nikon bodies, but for my money I would be investigating the used market through a reputable dealer. I would also consider what your budget is once you've sold/PX'd your 1100D. As far as Nikon vs Canon goes - my own experience tells me you'd be giving up the Canon AF system and glut of used market lenses and bodies. I think it's generally accepted that Canon is currently lagging behind Nikon in sensor tech (high ISO performance etc).

I presume you've been using a zoom lens, an 18-55 or something. Moving to a zoom with a wider and constant aperture would be wise - something with a top end focus motor (USM etc) would also be sensible given your dog sports subject. My overriding recommendation is to buy a prime lens along with whatever body you choose.

If it's the body that's limiting you, I would recommend buying a good copy of a Canon 50D (NOT a 60D or 70D). I did own one and got rid for financial reasons, but took some good shots in the meantime, some below. From memory, I think it could shoot 6fps continuous. You'd need some compact flash cards. Alternatively, mark 1 7Ds are a good idea - wouldn't leave much budget to deal with the lens situation though.

gatehouse by the pond
by Mitchell Howard, on Flickr

Bee in White Foxgloves, Manor Farm, Derbyshire, England

Bee in Pink Foxgloves, Manor Farm, Derbyshire, England

Thanks for your reply. I will have a good look at the 50D - im in no rush, and would much prefer to make the right choice for my needs.

I do use primary lenses predominantly - i only have the 50mm and the 24mm pancake at the moment though, and have been loathed to buy more until i have sorted out what body to get.

You are right about the high ISO. I sometimes feel that my old cheapy compact, that was held together with an elastic band, took better quality pics than my DSLR.

Im very much a walk and snap sort of person; i have my dog in one hand and my camera in the other - ideally i do need to rely on my equipment at times, rather than my [lack of] skills.

These are some of my more recent shots - and poor composition aside - they just dont cut it.

IMG_1658 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_9590 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_0015 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_8553 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_9996 by Ned Ster, on Flickr

I'd go second hand for a crop sensors d7000 and a 70-300 zoom for you're birding shots on you're budget

The 3300 has a good sensor but is missing buttons which need you to go into menus! I had a d7k and loved it! My mate has a 3300 and I couldn't find half the stuff on it when playing while out Sunday evening

Sorry, i've just realised my reply is awaiting mod approval.

Thanks for your reply. I will have a good look at the 50D - im in no rush, and would much prefer to make the right choice for my needs.

I do use primary lenses predominantly - i only have the 50mm and the 24mm pancake at the moment though, and have been loathed to buy more until i have sorted out what body to get.

You are right about the high ISO. I sometimes feel that my old cheapy compact, that was held together with an elastic band, took better quality pics than my DSLR.

Im very much a walk and snap sort of person; i have my dog in one hand and my camera in the other - ideally i do need to rely on my equipment at times, rather than my [lack of] skills.

These are some of my more recent shots - and poor composition aside - they just dont cut it.

There's nothing wrong with those shots by any stretch of the imagination, there are a couple that are great. I would say they're all static subjects though - i.e. high FPS continuous and high ISO aren't immediately necessary.

They're not your average snapshots, there's been some thought put into them. If you're looking for some extra 'pop' it might be worth looking at a body known for a fabulous sensor and colour; the original 5D. Your 50 would be compatible, nothing else though.

I see you've been to Harry Potter World in Watford! I grew up over the road!

Whilst the 1100D is from the bottom of Canon's range, and the 50D a model from the middle of Canon's range there will be some improvements, but the 50D represents technology from 2008 when it was announced. The 1100D was launched in 2011 and whilst its not cutting edge technology due to its price-point in the range, it may not represent a big jump in IQ. More features - better screen, more MP, nicer to use, bigger body.

A 50D should be about £ 200.

Some of the recent xxxD bodies using much more recent sensors and may seek a good increase over a 50D.

There's nothing wrong with those shots by any stretch of the imagination, there are a couple that are great. I would say they're all static subjects though - i.e. high FPS continuous and high ISO aren't immediately necessary.

They're not your average snapshots, there's been some thought put into them. If you're looking for some extra 'pop' it might be worth looking at a body known for a fabulous sensor and colour; the original 5D. Your 50 would be compatible, nothing else though.

I see you've been to Harry Potter World in Watford! I grew up over the road!
Yes, a HUGE Harry Potter fan (was my 4th visit! and ive just been having a secretish blub over the death of Alan Rickman).

Static shots are certainly my best with the current camera. As soon as i increase the shutter speed, and ISO (i mainly use auto ISO which i know has its drawbacks as it tends to err on the higher side) the quality of the image reduces. I also find the 1100D takes so long to focus, that the action has happened by the time the shot is taken - my current hand to eye needs improving as i appreciate i need to press the button a tad faster. I often though get my dogs body in focus if he is running towards me, but his head out of.

These are a couple of shots i took on a walk yesterday, and they look no better than a cheap camera phone to me. Your bee shots are stunning, and thats the sort of quality and crispness id like to aim for.

IMG_0556 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_0551 by Ned Ster, on Flickr

Whilst the 1100D is from the bottom of Canon's range, and the 50D a model from the middle of Canon's range there will be some improvements, but the 50D represents technology from 2008 when it was announced. The 1100D was launched in 2011 and whilst its not cutting edge technology due to its price-point in the range, it may not represent a big jump in IQ. More features - better screen, more MP, nicer to use, bigger body.

A 50D should be about £ 200.

Some of the recent xxxD bodies using much more recent sensors and may seek a good increase over a 50D.

I do hate to reference these sorts of spec comparisons;http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Canon_EOS_50D/detailed but comments about 'old tech' rile me! :banghead:

For me, the key take-away is;
1) 2008 has seen negligible improvements - I challenge you to look at shots from a 50D, 60D, 70D and tell the difference. This obviously relates purely to a sensor comparison. In my opinion (!) video and other gimmicks like WiFi and GPS have been added to these xxxD annually-released bodies to justify their release.
2) The real distinction between entry level and pro bodies has always been functionality surrounding the sensor, i.e. features that allow you to get a better job done. The snapsort link conveniently demos that - 4x the screen res, weather sealing, dust cleaning, better res, brighter pentaprism viewfinder, 9 x-type points, vs 1 x-type.
3) I went for a 50D because its weather proofing, alloy body, CF card support and high continuous fps all bettered the 60D.
4) Not to mention the improved ergonomics - top panel LCD, physically larger grip, joystick and wheel on back that are far more pleasant (same as 5D and 1D).

Last edited:
Yes, a HUGE Harry Potter fan (was my 4th visit! and ive just been having a secretish blub over the death of Alan Rickman).

Static shots are certainly my best with the current camera. As soon as i increase the shutter speed, and ISO (i mainly use auto ISO which i know has its drawbacks as it tends to err on the higher side) the quality of the image reduces. I also find the 1100D takes so long to focus, that the action has happened by the time the shot is taken - my current hand to eye needs improving as i appreciate i need to press the button a tad faster. I often though get my dogs body in focus if he is running towards me, but his head out of.

These are a couple of shots i took on a walk yesterday, and they look no better than a cheap camera phone to me. Your bee shots are stunning, and thats the sort of quality and crispness id like to aim for.

Flickr

Thanks for the kind words.

From your shots, I think you might benefit from thinking about 4 things;
1) Position when shooting, i.e. choosing the background, envisaging the image you want to create). It's quite obvious the image is taken with you standing and pointing down at the dog.
2) Using spot metering to improve illumination of subject.
3) Using AI-Servo focus mode to continually adjust focus on your moving subject.
4) your post-processing technique - are you using RAW and converting after?

Have you ever heard of ETTR (expose to the right)?
Personally, I would have the camera in Av mode, and exploit your single centre cross-type AF point to get the best AF tracking performance in Ai-servo mode.
Sensors in cameras perform better (collect more information) when slightly overexposing than underexposing, and this is most evident as the ISO increases - the only way you can control the 'consistent' overexposure is by using exposure compensation - do you know how to use this?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words.

From your shots, I think you might benefit from thinking about 4 things;
1) Position when shooting, i.e. choosing the background, envisaging the image you want to create). It's quite obvious the image is taken with you standing and pointing down at the dog.
2) Using spot metering to improve illumination of subject.
3) Using AI-Servo focus mode to continually adjust focus on your moving subject.
4) your post-processing technique - are you using RAW and converting after?

Have you ever heard of ETTR (expose to the right)?
Personally, I would have the camera in Av mode, and exploit your single centre cross-type AF point to get the best AF tracking performance in Ai-servo mode.
Sensors in cameras perform better (collect more information) when slightly overexposing than underexposing, and this is most evident as the ISO increases - the only way you can control the 'consistent' overexposure is by using exposure compensation - do you know how to use this?
1) Tbh, the image i want to create is merely one in focus and 'crisp'. I take pics purely for myself, and composition isnt really a current concern - certainly not until i manage to improve my other overall skills.. Getting down on my dogs level isnt a good idea at the moment; not unless i want 20kg of Bull Terrier in my face and knocking me over. He's young and VERY enthusiastic. I also tend to be moving all the time i take photos as i document my entire trip out. Boring for most - a compulsion for me.

2) No idea what this is, so i shall have a Google and do some research.

3) I normally use AI Focus, which according the the user guide, gives the best of both worlds (Servo and One Shot). Ive had a couple of walks since where i have used just Servo, with mixed results - certainly got some shots i wouldnt have done previously though:

IMG_1757 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_1756 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_2282 by Ned Ster, on Flickr

From doing a bit more reading on my current camera, it seems that having only 7 focal points is one of its huge downfalls. Im currently leaning towards a Nikon (it seems for my budget i will get a much better piece of equipment, with more affordable lenses for those on a tight budget) and the model im looking at has 39.

4) I dont shoot in RAW, and i dont edit my images. I take around 500 a day, and i just dont have the room, nor the time. Im never going to step from a hobby/amateur photographer, so ive never really thought about it. I took a couple once, saw how much room they took up on my memory card, and have never bothered since.
If i start taking better quality, and more 'artistic' shots, then i would probably considering RAW and editing.

ETTR, and the following paragraph - well my lack of knowledge shines though. Im going to look at a few photography courses, as i think i would benefit greatly from more technical knowledge. Whilst im not a 'point and shoot in auto mode', i am a 'fiddle without really knowing what stuff does, until i get something that looks ok'.

I will confess i would like a camera that is able to compensate for my lack of skills, but that also lets me have a greater degree of control than a compact tends to offer.

1) Tbh, the image i want to create is merely one in focus and 'crisp'. I take pics purely for myself, and composition isnt really a current concern - certainly not until i manage to improve my other overall skills.. Getting down on my dogs level isnt a good idea at the moment; not unless i want 20kg of Bull Terrier in my face and knocking me over. He's young and VERY enthusiastic. I also tend to be moving all the time i take photos as i document my entire trip out. Boring for most - a compulsion for me.

3) I normally use AI Focus, which according the the user guide, gives the best of both worlds (Servo and One Shot). Ive had a couple of walks since where i have used just Servo, with mixed results - certainly got some shots i wouldnt have done previously though:

IMG_1757 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_1756 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
IMG_2282 by Ned Ster, on Flickr

From doing a bit more reading on my current camera, it seems that having only 7 focal points is one of its huge downfalls. Im currently leaning towards a Nikon (it seems for my budget i will get a much better piece of equipment, with more affordable lenses for those on a tight budget) and the model im looking at has 39.

4) I dont shoot in RAW, and i dont edit my images. I take around 500 a day, and i just dont have the room, nor the time. Im never going to step from a hobby/amateur photographer, so ive never really thought about it. I took a couple once, saw how much room they took up on my memory card, and have never bothered since.
If i start taking better quality, and more 'artistic' shots, then i would probably considering RAW and editing.

ETTR, and the following paragraph - well my lack of knowledge shines though. Im going to look at a few photography courses, as i think i would benefit greatly from more technical knowledge. Whilst im not a 'point and shoot in auto mode', i am a 'fiddle without really knowing what stuff does, until i get something that looks ok'.

I will confess i would like a camera that is able to compensate for my lack of skills, but that also lets me have a greater degree of control than a compact tends to offer.

You can achieve this easily on your 1100d. The 7 AF points shouldn't limit you for shots such as the above - select the only you want to use, normally the centre, and just use that (on the 1100d) - you're probably letting it hunt. Its easy to say "I want a camera with 39 AF points" but you can achieve perfect focus on just one :)

It might be worth expanding your lens collection and looking at technique.

You certainly should be looking at shooting and processing raw files, digital shots, even JPEGs need processing. TBH I wouldn't look to upgrade just yet as you've not got close to reaching the technical limit of your current kit, in the nicest possible sense :) That said, the images on your Flickr are pretty good, much better than the output you'd get from the average compact!

Last edited:

I can provide some limited feedback/opinions on the above;

1) For me, getting crisp images starts in-camera; shutter speed fast enough, ISO as low as you can get away with. From there on, the impression of crispness comes down to RAW processing (to tweak colour and sharpness) and cropping to remove distractions from the frame. I guess that invokes composition as a factor in getting a crisp image, rather than looking at 'crispness' as a purely technical goal.

2) I'll say this about the focus modes; none of the 1D series bodies use Ai Focus - if they don't include it, I'd say it's a focus mode that's neither here nor there and doesn't give you a repeatable behaviour. It's the same reason people move away from using green box and programme modes - the depth of field is completely uncontrolled as the camera messes around setting things for you. For most, the rule is Ai Servo for moving subjects (as it continues to set focus inbetween frames (you should be using continuous drive mode)) and one-shot for static subjects where you want to hear the focus confirmation beep.

3) I'm not a pro either, nor have I been on any courses, but as the other chap said, RAW is really something to look at. Don't go down the Lightroom route immediately. There are plenty of other testing grounds - try DPP, the software that came with the camera. With regards to storage, there's no need to keep all the images, surely? When I get back from being out, I fire-up DPP's full screen preview and hit 'x' to mark as rejected if there's nothing worth keeping. You can bulk-delete thereafter.

Last edited:
Back