Upgrade from Canon 550D?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says. My budget is around £600 for the body and I already have a range of L lenses. I mainly want an upgrade for better low light capabilities and night shooting. I don't shoot any specific type of subject, I shoot a bit of everything from portraits to action shots so better burst than the 550D's 3fps would be a bonus. I don't mind spending the £600 on just a body because there isn't any other equipment I want.

Cheers.

Forgot to mention I don't mind whether an upgrade would mean going with full frame or staying with a crop. As long as my 17-40, 70-200 and 100-400 L lenses fit ok.

If you can stretch your budget a bit the 70D is meant to be very good.

It does sound tempting and there's a few places that are selling it within budget. i'll have a look around though before I jump into the first one lol, cheers.

I don't mind about being outdated, especially with the 7D and it's toughness. Do you know if it will be any better than the 550D with shooting in low light and noise performance since they both have the same sensor?

Low light on the 7D is not one of it's strong points TBH, the 550D is probably a match in that respect. I'd go with the 70D for now if you are sticking to crop, but there are people on here that know a lot more than I do. :)

For better low light performance the only option would be the 70d. But you'll maybe have to stretch your budget.

The 7d is the obvious answer to the rest though, it's an absolute steal at current s/h prices, especially as there nothing been released to replace it.

Cheers, a lot of votes for the 70D, I think I'm sold on it now to be honest. I have found a few within budget but if they are not available on pay day then I can stretch the budget a bit. By the look of the specs it seems a nice upgrade to the 550D.

Roll on next friday for pay day:banana:

Does anyone know if the 70D's built in flash transmitter will work with the Yongnou 560iii flashes with their built in receivers, or will I still have to use the RF603 triggers for that? It wouldn't matter either way but it would be nice to use the flashes without the 603's, something else I can take out my bag.

Last edited:
Been looking at the 70D myself and saw that Panamoz are selling at £665 or £631.75 if you pay by bank transfer. (if you don't mind grey imports)

Been looking at the 70D myself and saw that Panamoz are selling at £665 or £631.75 if you pay by bank transfer. (if you don't mind grey imports)

Sorry what do you mean by "grey imports"? I've never bought a camera new before so I'm clueless.

You should also be aware that there have been some autofocus issues reported on the 70D but it does seem to be limited to Germany and the US - I haven't seen it reported on here in the 70D thread

Ive recently upgraded from a 550D to a 70D and the difference is night and day. Every single thing about the 70D from ergonomics (2 dials, buttons in right place) to focus speed and accuracy to burst rate to image quality is far superior. For me a very good upgrade.

It might be out of your budget if in the UK though (I paid the equivalent of £560 new for mine in Kuala Lumpur where the UK price was nearer £900).

Sorry what do you mean by "grey imports"? I've never bought a camera new before so I'm clueless.

They're from Hong Kong rather than being UK stock

And generally don't carry a manufacturer UK warranty - if any problems, then it's back to the seller or one of their repairers (which are probably the same ones Canon would use, just the seller picks up the tab).

Last edited:
Ah ok, cheers. I'll just stretch my budget and buy a 70D from UK stock. Not unless there are any good reputable companies that sell these "grey imports" but also good with carrying out the warranty and don't become tw*ts once you've bought it lol. I wasn't wanting to spend more than £600 on a new body with photography only being a hobby for myself, but now with all these recommendations and nice spec for the 70D I'm sold on it now lol.

You should also be aware that there have been some autofocus issues reported on the 70D but it does seem to be limited to Germany and the US - I haven't seen it reported on here in the 70D thread
I am about to sell a Tamron 18-270 mm because of focus issues on the 70D, it was great on my 650 but when I upgraded to the 70D using af nothing was in focus.

tho' its a lens problem not the camera

I am about to sell a Tamron 18-270 mm because of focus issues on the 70D, it was great on my 650 but when I upgraded to the 70D using af nothing was in focus.

tho' its a lens problem not the camera

Strange. Did you have any other lenses with that issue? I have a range of L lenses so hopefully won't have any problems when I get the 70D.

Back