Upgrade from kit lens on Canon 400D to Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Edit My Images
No
Hi Im just about ready to upgrade my kit lens from the Canon 400D. (I know its taken some time!)

Got my eye on the: Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS HSM, and would really like to notice a difference in sharpness/image quality to my reasonably untrained eye.

With its mixed reviews wondered what anyone else may have to say about this lens?

Thanks for any input. (Max budget up to £400)

I am also looking to buy a decent lens for my 400D. I was thinking the 10-20m Sigma

I'm having a similar thought, what did you decide about the sigma?

The Sigma 17-50 f2.8 will be a good choice over the kit lens and you should see a big difference in sharpness , The 10-20 is a great wide angle lens ( either version ! ) although not really a kit lens replacement as they are more 18-50 range .

Not the sigma but I bought the Tamron 17-50 2.8 after reading lots of reviews and it is absolutely fantastic. I have the non VC version and using it on my old 400D feels like a world of difference compared to the kit lens. Can be picked up for less than £200 on these forums or fleabay!

EDIT: The lens is extremely sharp and well built, feels indestructible, forgot to mention that!

Last edited:
I just upgraded last month from the 18-55 to the sigma 17-50 and could not be happier it is nice and sharp the colours look more vivid? I think that is how you would say it. And there also seams to be more contrast. Over all I am very happy and can't see how the canon could be twice as good. But I am sure someone will tell me. The only slight little niggle is the focus ring moving but got used to that pretty quickly. I got mine from wex cheaper than any of the far eastern places were advertising.

Ebay used canon 17-55 f2.8? Got one last month and it's an amazing piece of glass...

My first lens upgrade was the older Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and I never looked back after that. The difference over the kit lens was very noticeable in terms of IQ and usability. The extra stop allows you to play with dof alot more as well as shoot in lower light.

Having thought through the various options and considering the cost think I'll have it pinned down to either the sigma 17-50 f2.8 or the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. Simply electronics look like they have good prices but gonna check wex having read this

Hi Im just about ready to upgrade my kit lens from the Canon 400D. (I know its taken some time!)

Got my eye on the: Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS HSM, and would really like to notice a difference in sharpness/image quality to my reasonably untrained eye.

With its mixed reviews wondered what anyone else may have to say about this lens?

Thanks for any input. (Max budget up to £400)

I have the Sony 16-50mm f2.8 and if the Sigma is as sharp, you'll be onto a winner there

Les (y)

Thanks all, decided on the 17-70mm in the end. Simply electronic have them at £300 with free postage.

the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is also a superb option at only £270 uk price or £200 DR price, always on one of my bodies and 98% the image quality of a canon at half the price.

Would strongly recommend it.

Back