Upgrade from Nikon D700

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had 2x gripped D700s for an age, and they have served me very well.

I couple these with Nikon 24-70 + 70-200 f2.8s ... A dream set up for events, being able to switch quickly between the two on a double strap.

I don't do so much photography these days, and considering swapping out both bodies for a single new/nearly new body.

I've been out of the loop for a while with what's new... Which body would you look at upgrading to? Have you been in a similar situation?

My main improved feature would be something with better ISO capabilities, so I can get better low light shots.

Last edited:
You don't say what you are going to use it for but for low light the D750 seems to be a good candidate.

My D750 in the classifieds!!!

I came from a D700,, was concerned about the size but it was perfect, Much lighter and nice to handle. Better ISO performance, resolution was great, used mine a lot with 24-70 and occasionally with 70-200. Great value camera

Used d810 ? I had a d600 and found the 24mp sensor quite boring personally but with 36mp I felt like it was a significant bonus in cropping ability and resolution.

My D750 in the classifieds!!!

I came from a D700,, was concerned about the size but it was perfect, Much lighter and nice to handle. Better ISO performance, resolution was great, used mine a lot with 24-70 and occasionally with 70-200. Great value camera

Nice! D750 is what I remember researching a year or two ago... Interesting to know it's still up there amongst sensibly priced bodies!

Recently bought a D700 and love it to bits. Depends what you are snapping as someone has already mentioned.

Another vote for the D750. While the 8** series do boast more pixels, unless you do massive crops and still want A3+ prints, the 750 has plenty.

I used to shoot D700, then D3
I found at least a stop better performance in high ISO when I switched to the D4

I had a D700 for years, decided to change it and went to a shop to try a D750. But it just seemed a bit small and toy-like compared to the size and heft of the D700. It felt more like the D70 I'd started with before the D700. Got a D810 in the end, as it just felt like a slightly lighter D700 and everything was in the right place. While the D810 is an excellent camera, with hindsight, a D750 would have been more than enough camera, I should have got one and learned to live with it. Either would be a great choice though!

If it matters to you, only the D850 will top the FX framerate you get with a D700 + grip - all the others mentioned will be slower. The D750 is also a 'lower tier' body than the D700, with the top dial and viewfinder of the mid-range cameras, though of course as a more recent model it improves on the D700 in many other ways, and you might welcome the lighter weight and smaller size.

I have had 2x gripped D700s for an age, and they have served me very well.

I couple these with Nikon 24-70 + 70-200 f2.8s ... A dream set up for events, being able to switch quickly between the two on a double strap.

I don't do so much photography these days, and considering swapping out both bodies for a single new/nearly new body.

I've been out of the loop for a while with what's new... Which body would you look at upgrading to? Have you been in a similar situation?

My main improved feature would be something with better ISO capabilities, so I can get better low light shots.
I am a little puzzled, frankly. You seem to be saying that your interest in photography has flagged, and that you want to upgrade to another camera to get better ISO performance. This seems to be confused logic. More seems to be that you want to upgrade to reinvigorate your flagging interest in photography, I believe. Not something no one has done before. You are not alone. It is time to do a lot more soul searching and learn your true motive. Then decide on your method. Good luck.

go for the Nikon D810 ,I did via the D70s-D200- d300 and D800. Get used to it and find out how good it is. Not having the AA filters sure makes a huge difference

Last edited:
I had a D700 and a D3s. Chopped them in for two D750s. The low light high ISO performance is slightly improved on the D3s, which was a little better than the D700. As I have no use whatsoever for more than 24mp (16 would suffice) I can't see me changing until something breaks. Once I got used to the slightly different layout and set it up to suit me it's a camera that just works.

As for the 'complaints' about build quality that's a mistaken idea that made of metal and heavy is better than made of composites and lighter. That's outdated thinking. They make 'planes and battle ships from composites these days. :D

I am a little puzzled, frankly. You seem to be saying that your interest in photography has flagged, and that you want to upgrade to another camera to get better ISO performance. This seems to be confused logic. More seems to be that you want to upgrade to reinvigorate your flagging interest in photography, I believe. Not something no one has done before. You are not alone. It is time to do a lot more soul searching and learn your true motive. Then decide on your method. Good luck.

Haha, au contraire my philosophical friend!

My interest in photography has not flagged, however the photography that I continue do is primarily low light stuff - concerts, events and the like.

I do not really have the need for / can justify having 2x bodies (as useful as that can be), so I would look at chopping them both in to get my hands on a single body, which can give me better results in low light than the D700.

I had a D700 and a D3s. Chopped them in for two D750s. The low light high ISO performance is slightly improved on the D3s, which was a little better than the D700. As I have no use whatsoever for more than 24mp (16 would suffice) I can't see me changing until something breaks. Once I got used to the slightly different layout and set it up to suit me it's a camera that just works.

As for the 'complaints' about build quality that's a mistaken idea that made of metal and heavy is better than made of composites and lighter. That's outdated thinking. They make 'planes and battle ships from composites these days. :D

Thanks Ed, that's really useful. A broad question I know, but how would you compare the low light capabilities of the D700 to the D750?

Thanks Ed, that's really useful. A broad question I know, but how would you compare the low light capabilities of the D700 to the D750?
The D750 is noticeably cleaner at higher ISOs. How much better is a bit subjective. I find I can 'rescue' far more from badly exposed frames out of from the D750 than the D700. It also seems to focus better in low light - but that could be imagination!

The D750 is noticeably cleaner at higher ISOs. How much better is a bit subjective. I find I can 'rescue' far more from badly exposed frames out of from the D750 than the D700. It also seems to focus better in low light - but that could be imagination!

Agree. Not scientific but I think a stop better at least. 1600 on the 750 seemed like 800 on the 700.

Have to agree with Dave and Simon above. At least a stop better, maybe 1 1/2 stops. I had a D800 for a year but traded it in since I found I didn't want/need the extra pixels and didn't like the extra weight of the thing over the D700. Now use a Fuji CSC system more but come back to the D750 for low light stuff (and will be taking it away later this month almost purely for Milky Way shots - very dark sky in the South of Crete!)

I went from D700/D3 to D750 too, I was shooting in a pair so one of the upsides for me was weight saved; albeit when primes/pro zooms are added it feels less of a difference but any weight saved was good. Over 2 bodies I was probably getting on for 1kg saved which after a 12 hour stint at a wedding I was grateful for :LOL:

The big things for me were low light, which the 750 improved on some already excellent cameras, ISO was cleaner but AF acquisition was faster and more accurate in the really low light. I was always happy with the IQ of the older cameras but again the 750 was better again, I’m sure the higher MP D8xx are even better still but these were a little more restrictive when it came to buying 2 bodies price wise so the 750 was a perfect compromise. They can be had for superb prices now, and despite stopping shooting professionally I’ve still kept 1 as I didn’t know what I could realistically swap it for in its price range.

Overall the 750 just improved on pretty much everything over my old cameras, none of it a massive amount as the old ones were already very good, however all those little differences added up to one big difference overall. One thing some people didn’t like about it is the feeling, which I agree doesn’t feel as sturdy but it’s still a very well put together camera and doesn’t feel cheap at all. It’s a smaller body but it has a deeper grip which makes it comfortable to hold unlike some of the smaller bodied cameras I’ve used.

I suppose some of it depends on how much money you think you’d get for your current kit and how much you’d be willing to add to a new body. I always read excellent things about the D810 too, and of course the D850 but one of those would require a substantial sum adding to purchase :)

FWIW 2 x D700's in the classifieds should bring in enough for a D750 so no loss to the OP financially but should be a significant gain in IQ, focus speed, low light capabilities, high ISO...... need I go on ;)

FWIW 2 x D700's in the classifieds should bring in enough for a D750 so no loss to the OP financially but should be a significant gain in IQ, focus speed, low light capabilities, high ISO...... need I go on ;)

I think you've summed it up perfectly there!
It's a real treat having two bodies, but I don't do as many 'paid for' jobs these days, so it's a bit of luxury really.

I think I'd appreciate having 1x d750 over 2x d700. If funds allow, I might look to sell 1x d700, acquire 1x d750 and keep 1x d700 for a while, to see if I 'need' it... is it a real hassle to swap over lenses on one body...

I've held a d750 and have no problems with the build... And not to be lugging around 2x gripped d700s is a welcome thought :D

I think you've summed it up perfectly there!
It's a real treat having two bodies, but I don't do as many 'paid for' jobs these days, so it's a bit of luxury really.

I think I'd appreciate having 1x d750 over 2x d700. If funds allow, I might look to sell 1x d700, acquire 1x d750 and keep 1x d700 for a while, to see if I 'need' it... is it a real hassle to swap over lenses on one body...

I've held a d750 and have no problems with the build... And not to be lugging around 2x gripped d700s is a welcome thought :D

That's what I did, although once you use the D750 the D700 will be genuinely left as a backup!

Back