Upgrade from Nikon D7200 TO D500??

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I love all genres of photography but really want to improve my aviation shots.
I currently own a Nikon D7200 with several lenses, all DX types, including:
Nikon 300mm F4 prime,
Sigma 150-600mm C F5-6.3,
Sigma 50-150mm F2.8,
Tamron 11-16mm F2.8,
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4,
30mm and 50mm F1.8 primes.

I was thinking of going FF but all my lenses wouldnt be compatible so someone suggested looking at the D500 DX.
I believe it has a faster shooting capability continuous 10fps and higher ISO range, and more focus points. But a lower pixel count, only 20mp, against the D7200 24mp
Would this be a noticeable upgrade from my D7200?
I'm looking for something that would give me sharper, faster shots for fast moving military aircraft, and fast moving birds on dull days (we dont get many sunny days in the UK).
Thanks for any advice.

The D500 has superb AF and can give much better sharpness as a result (subject to correct use!). When mine was paired with my Nikon 200-500 f5.6 it was the best combination for sharp capture that I have ever had.
Don’t worry about the slight drop in MP, the D500 will more than make up for that. :)

Faster AF - yes
Faster FPS - yes
Big increase in image quality - debatable
Grey days - are still grey days
Try before you buy - yes

Following this thread with interest as I've been mulling over the exact same upgrade.

D500 has without doubt the best AF acquisition and tracking of any Nikon DX body. Wouldn't expect you to see any detriment in IQ either.

GC

I would go d7500 but then I don't care about the common complains people have about them like about the grip and memory options.

Back