Upgrade Graphics card

Edit My Images
Yes
All, I'm currently doing some upgrades on my 2012 Dell XPS 8300 (i7-2600 @3.40GHz) including memory up to 16Gb and adding an SSD.

Currently installed is an NVidia GTX 560 Ti.

I was wondering about upgrading the graphics card as well as I'm now starting to use Capture One for editing (nothing too heavy at this point, but it may be worth doing longer term). I don't use the PC for playing games.

Any recommendations or suggestions welcome - I have read some things about having to upgrade the power supply, too, and I'd rather avoid doing that.

Thanks in advance.

Probably the best (most powerful) graphics card that doesn't need an external power feed is the Nvidia GTX 1650. It runs purely from the power supplied to the PCIE slot on the motherboard.

Yes, I agree. The GTX 1650 has a benchmark score of almost 7900 compared with the GTX 560 Ti's 2900 and only uses 75 watts to do it rather than 170. A bit of a no-brainer.
You could actually go for a GTX 1660 Ti without needed to change the PSU as your current GTX 560 Ti must need a PSU connector. This bumps the benchmark to almost 13000 but also doubles the price.

The motherboard didn't like the 1650, so will try another plan. Will the 1660Ti probably cause the same problems, or should I go for something less powerful?

All, I'm currently doing some upgrades on my 2012 Dell XPS 8300 (i7-2600 @3.40GHz) including memory up to 16Gb and adding an SSD.

Currently installed is an NVidia GTX 560 Ti.

I was wondering about upgrading the graphics card as well as I'm now starting to use Capture One for editing (nothing too heavy at this point, but it may be worth doing longer term). I don't use the PC for playing games.

Any recommendations or suggestions welcome - I have read some things about having to upgrade the power supply, too, and I'd rather avoid doing that.

Thanks in advance.
. I upgraded to the GTX1050ti and so much better. well worth getting

Last edited:
The motherboard didn't like the 1650, so will try another plan. Will the 1660Ti probably cause the same problems, or should I go for something less powerful?
Probably the card is trying to draw too much power, depends on which version you have, some need extra power and your supply might fall short of delivery. If you are not playing games then you might get away with a 950 or 970 but again, some makes require more power than others. For Photo work you can use most cards that has at least 2 gig of ram on them which is twice what you have at the moment.

It seems some cards use an additional power connector (which is what's there already), Would one of those me more likely to work?

If you aren't gaming I would think that a 1660 is a big overkill surely? I ran a GTX 1050Ti for ages and it handled all games on reasonable settings, so for non-gaming it should be powerful and it's reasonably priced. No additional power needed either, I only replaced it as I wanted even more power.

The change could then go towards either taking it to 32GB of ram instead of 16GB or perhaps maybe even something preventative like a new PSU?

I built my machine in Sep 2012 and used a Thermaltake PSU which isn't regarded as very good but it lasted until now where I've been getting little tell-tale signs of it starting to go. Popped a new Corsair RM750i in today and everything is perfect again. Can't remember if Dell still use different form factor though, It's been a while.

If you aren't gaming I would think that a 1660 is a big overkill surely? I ran a GTX 1050Ti for ages and it handled all games on reasonable settings, so for non-gaming it should be powerful and it's reasonably priced. No additional power needed either, I only replaced it as I wanted even more power.

The change could then go towards either taking it to 32GB of ram instead of 16GB or perhaps maybe even something preventative like a new PSU?

I built my machine in Sep 2012 and used a Thermaltake PSU which isn't regarded as very good but it lasted until now where I've been getting little tell-tale signs of it starting to go. Popped a new Corsair RM750i in today and everything is perfect again. Can't remember if Dell still use different form factor though, It's been a while.

Thanks for that.

I have a 1050Ti on the way - Ebuyer are very slow with returns.

Unfortunately 16Gb is the most the motherboard will handle, and I wanted to avoid a new PSU. Will see how things go, but the SSD and additional 8Gb of RAM has already improved thing significantly

OP used a 1650, this would be a class below the 1660 according to Nvidia but better than a 1050. The second last digit signifies the class, both are 5 but then obviously 16 is higher than 10 - that's how I read Nvidia cards though it's likely not so simple. I have the non Ti, non OC 1660 and it is more than enough for me, and I like me some juicy graphics. The next step up would be something like a 1070 or the 2060 if you like to push games [hardcore gamers would be looking at the '80' series of cards] The 1050ti should be plenty for casual gaming with some tweaks

Last edited:
1050Ti on its way now, and one which has an external power supply connector. Hopefully it'll work.

That seems pricey for the 1050Ti, when you can get the 1650 for about the same price, or not much more

They all seem to be a similar price at the low/older model level.

The equivalent Super Gaming X 1650 is £190 https://www.ebuyer.com/921161-msi-g...g-x-4gb-graphics-card-gtx-1650-super-gaming-x

£138 on Amazon for the mini Zotac version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOTAC-GAMI...ild=1&keywords=gtx+1650&qid=1589054235&sr=8-3

£144 for the dual fan Gigabyte version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-G...ild=1&keywords=gtx+1650&qid=1589054577&sr=8-6

Both over clocked.

I mean, you have bought your card already so it's of no use to you but if you ever felt you wanted to upgrade a bit, do shop around. Or even consider buying a used card. For this money you might be able to get something like an RX 580, I've seen those going used locally for €140, which is about £120

Last edited:
Thank all, I'm not really that fussed to be honest, just glad it works. This is a once in 10-15 year purchase, so it makes little difference in the end.

Thank all, I'm not really that fussed to be honest, just glad it works. This is a once in 10-15 year purchase, so it makes little difference in the end.

It's fine for your needs, nothing wrong with the card, but, I like saving money :D

The only thing I'd worry about buying used is how hard the card was pushed, was it over clocked, was it used for mining or simply used by someone who was gaming round the clock with it for 2 years. You're looking for an honest seller really, so new is always best

£138 on Amazon for the mini Zotac version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOTAC-GAMI...ild=1&keywords=gtx+1650&qid=1589054235&sr=8-3

£144 for the dual fan Gigabyte version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-G...ild=1&keywords=gtx+1650&qid=1589054577&sr=8-6

Both over clocked.

I mean, you have bought your card already so it's of no use to you but if you ever felt you wanted to upgrade a bit, do shop around. Or even consider buying a used card. For this money you might be able to get something like an RX 580, I've seen those going used locally for €140, which is about £120
Those are both 1650 which my motherboard won't work with (see earlier posts), so it's largely immaterial. The original 1650 card I bought was similarly priced to those, and had GDDR6 RAM to boot, so actually represented better value.

Those are both 1650 which my motherboard won't work with (see earlier posts), so it's largely immaterial. The original 1650 card I bought was similarly priced to those, and had GDDR6 RAM to boot, so actually represented better value.

Yeah I assumed it was a dodgy card? What stopped it working where it allows the 1050? I would have thought if it can run one it'll run the other unless it's your psu? In which case it might have been better to upgrade that

I did not want to upgrade the PSU as per the first post.

The one I bought has an external power connector rather than relying on the motherboard for power, and works very nicely.

Back