Upgrade Nikon D80 or Fuji X30

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
Some thoughts would be appreciated.

I've a D80 which I've had from new plus assorted lenses. Love the camera but it's now beginning to show its age in terms of low light use and resolution. I've been thinking about getting a used D7000 which can be had for around £300.

I've also got a Fuji X10 which I also love as a decent compact camera but the lack of info on the optical viewfinder plus the lens barrel blocking the view means I have frustrations with it. I could jump to an X30 with its excellent EVF for around £300 new.

So either upgrade would cost about the same.

I've been using the X10 quite a lot more than the D80 of late simply because it's so small and light in comparison with the DSLR. Great for street photography and capturing those unplanned moments

BUT..........in some ways I think it's about time I got my mojo back with the DSLR. The D80 is pushing 9 years old and replacing it with a newer body does give me something that's a bit more up to date in its capabilities and I suppose it's a much more versatile option.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
A used D90 would still be a massive step up from the D80 which shouldn't be too expensive, if you can afford a D7000 I would say go for it. I had an X10 and was never that smitten by in terms of size and iq. If you want a smaller camera consider Micro 4/3 .

Some thoughts would be appreciated.

I've a D80 which I've had from new plus assorted lenses. Love the camera but it's now beginning to show its age in terms of low light use and resolution. I've been thinking about getting a used D7000 which can be had for around £300.

I've also got a Fuji X10 which I also love as a decent compact camera but the lack of info on the optical viewfinder plus the lens barrel blocking the view means I have frustrations with it. I could jump to an X30 with its excellent EVF for around £300 new.

So either upgrade would cost about the same.

I've been using the X10 quite a lot more than the D80 of late simply because it's so small and light in comparison with the DSLR. Great for street photography and capturing those unplanned moments

BUT..........in some ways I think it's about time I got my mojo back with the DSLR. The D80 is pushing 9 years old and replacing it with a newer body does give me something that's a bit more up to date in its capabilities and I suppose it's a much more versatile option.

Thoughts anyone?

I too had a D80 a few years ago, I wished I had not sold it. I also have the Fuji X10 and while the images are pretty good, as you say it is frustrating to use. Good idea going for something like the D7000, I toyed with the idea of getting one. Then veered off and thinking of the Sony RX100, just the cash flow stopping me at the moment.

If I had the money, I would have something like the D7000 to go with my old lenses, and the Sony RX100 for pocketability.

I had the d80, moved to D90 and happy with it but saving up for a D750. It's taking ages...[emoji24]

Go for a d7000.

Back