Upgrade options from Nikon D50

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. Just looking for a bit of advice please.

I'm considering upgrading my camera body from a D50. The options I'm looking at currently are D5100 or a D90. Looking at this it seems it's a no brainer, but I'm still leaning towards the D90 due to the lack of auto focus motor in the D5100.

I only have a couple of lenses that I actually use which are both prime nikkor, namely:
Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8G DX
Nikon AF-D 85mm 1.8

Am I being daft limiting myself to a slightly lesser spec'd D90 for the sake of the 85mm which won't autofocus on the D5100? Countering that is the fact that I'll be limiting my future lens choices with the D5100 (and I am likely to be buying second hand lenses) as it's only the more recent ones that will auto focus on it. I do not want to be messing around with trying to manual focus.

I'm thinking there must be something still very desireable about the D90 over the D5100 as it seems to be more expensive!? Is that just due to the auto focus motor? Looks like i can pick on up for about £380 second hand from MPB photographic though..

I'm not unhappy with the D50 as such, but like the sound of the better ISO range, better sensor, more ergonomic control layout etc etc on the more modern bodies.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling, it's a stream of consciousness argument I've been having with myself for a couple of weeks now! :)

Any help much appreciated!

I don't think your daft at all. I went with the d5100 as all my lenses will AF and i wanted the better iso performance, but if the af motor is more important its a great choice.

It's not just the motor, it's also the pro-type controls. As I understand it the 5100 is largely menu based. Ken Rockwell reckons the D5100 is better, which is why I bought the D90.

I recently upgraded from a d80 to a d90 due to the iso noise on the D80.

Might be worth holding both and seeing which you prefer. I would say go for the D90 due to the inbuilt motor.

NickD said:
It's not just the motor, it's also the pro-type controls. As I understand it the 5100 is largely menu based. Ken Rockwell reckons the D5100 is better, which is why I bought the D90.

Exactly. There is but one user configurable button, which I have set up for the ISO control. So when in manual mode, I can change ISO, aperture, shutter speed without delving into the menu.

If I want to change other features, such as WB, shutter release mode, af mode, auto bracketing, metering mode etc. then I have to muck about in the menu. But it isn't too bad (the "i" button makes all the main features easily available.). I normally set these features are once for a session of photos and aren't changed too often during the shoot, unless I am trying something new.

Some of the features (eg flash mode) are buried deep in a hierarchical menu, and if you mess with them and forget to change back, then it isn't obvious that things are set up wrong from the viewfinder or the "i" button menu. That's a pain. The hierarchical menu isn't very user friendly and it is difficult to find things, but I don't use it very things often (eg I normally set TTL auto for the flash, and only occasionally set it to manual when doing macro).

The d5100 isn't too bad to use - a lot of people seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill on the menu driven control system. Common functions don't need a menu, less common (but still quite common) functions use a fairly well laid out menu using the "i" button. It's only when you want to use very uncommon changes that you have to delve in the menu. There probably are better cameras for usability out there, such as the d90, but it isn't as bad as people make out.

If you are upgrading because you want better low-light/high ISO, then you will not go wrong with e d5100. It has better performance in this area than the d90. If the lack of autofocus on your existing AF lens is a problem, then have you considered the d7000? It has the same sensor as the d5100, a slightly more pro feel to the controls, and a body motor as well as a few other 'pro' features.... I couldn't afford one at the time, hence the d5100 (which maxed out budget). I wouldn't worry about picking up second hand AFS lenses, seem to be plenty about.....

Good luck!

:LOL:

You can now get a good second hand D300 with few shutter clicks at a reasonable price now, may be worth a look

Realspeed

You can now get a good second hand D300 with few shutter clicks at a reasonable price now, may be worth a look

Realspeed

I will second that. When I upgraded from a D50 it was the D90 I was aiming for but I decided go up two rungs of the ladder instead of one and bought a D300.You can buy a good used one now for very reasonable money.

Realspeed

I second this. I bought myself recently as a second body and am delighted with it. Not just as good as the D7000 at high I.S.O but a stonking camera with a super focus system and much better build make up for this for me.

I paid £400 for mine and it had 1129 clicks on it.

I second this. I bought myself recently as a second body and am delighted with it. Not just as good as the D7000 at high I.S.O but a stonking camera with a super focus system and much better build make up for this for me.

1129 clicks! i think i did that on my 1st day getting the feel of my camera.

Got a secondhand d90 after the same debate.
I'm not sure the d5100 has flash commander mode either (?) but i could be wrong, its a while since i looked at that model.
Since the d90 purchase, flash (off camera) has become a very important aspect....
The d90 has developed my photography a lot, and that was the hope when i considered the 2 cameras. I was coming from a d3000, and video, more mp, a flip screen all did nothing for me.

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I'll be honest and say that I was wanting people to say go for the D90 but was just wanting confirmation that I hadn't missed something obvious so after the first few responses I thought I had it all sewn up. I was going to go with the consensus and my own instincts and have the D90.

Damn you Bazza, Jeff and Tommy for confusing the issue though ;) After reading around I now HAVE to get a D300!! Aside from the build quality, button layout and general overall feature set (and I know I said I didn't want to mess around with manual focus) the appeal of being able to use old bargain AI lenses and have them meter correctly is very tempting.

That sounds fantastic, where did you get that?! Everything I've seen in some initial searches seems to be arounf £450 - £500 for examples that are in good nick with ~50k clicks. Does that sound reasonable to everyone, cos if so I'm going to have to get one bought today or I won't be able to sleep tonight again lol :D

Thanks again for all your help everyone!!

I love to confuse:LOL:. Seriously though you won't regret getting a D300 there is no way I would get rid of mine. What I would say is don't try and learn everything at once with this camera there is a whole heap of settings in the menu, from active D lighting right through to "tuning" a lens/camera match for maximum sharpness as well. When each lens is matched it can be saved in the memory bank,up to 5/6 lenses if my memory serves me right. Then when a lens change is done the camera automatically detects that lens and uses the settings stored in the bank for that lens. Just one of the many features of the D300

You can also add Landscape to the menu "set picture control" via this link

http://www.nikonimglib.com/opc/landscape/index.html.en#os-windows

Tip

Ask if the firmware on the cameras is A1.10 and B1.10 as that is the lastest. if not you can update the camera as per link.

I have had the D70s ( 6mp) the D200 (battery heavy) and now the D300 which I think is the best camera Nikon ever produced with good battery life

http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/kdb/en/2008/25962/en/d300ab_win_en_ABF.html

I upgraded mine on both accounts so if I can do it anyone can

Realspeed

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic, where did you get that?! Everything I've seen in some initial searches seems to be arounf £450 - £500 for examples that are in good nick with ~50k clicks. Does that sound reasonable to everyone, cos if so I'm going to have to get one bought today or I won't be able to sleep tonight again lol :D

Thanks again for all your help everyone!!

I fell lucky with mine a work colleague had fallen out of love with photography.

I would suggest not rushing in as many pop up on here for under £500 with less than 20k clicks.

Bear in mind that a D300 is about double the weight of a D50. Sensor is the same size, so don't expect any massive differences.

Bear in mind that a D300 is about double the weight of a D50. Sensor is the same size, so don't expect any massive differences.

The difference is in what the camera is capable of and that is what you have overlooked. Check out the specification of both cameras and do a like for like comparison.

I can see where your comming from but its like saying an Austin7 is like a formula1 racing car, both do the same job but its what they can achieve that makes the difference.

Realspeed

Last edited:
Cistron said:

Same size maybe, but completely different generation. The D50 tops out at about 800 ISO before it gets ugly. The d300 is much better in this regard.
Also the button layout on the D50 really shows its age, and the screen is pretty dismal.
The d50 was the budget model in 2005 the d300 was the midrange model in 2008, so there is 3 years worth of technological advancement stuffed into the d300.

Another(y) for the D300(upgraded from a D40),although I am still at the looking confused at the controls/menu stage :LOL:.

Same size maybe, but completely different generation. The D50 tops out at about 800 ISO before it gets ugly. The d300 is much better in this regard.
Also the button layout on the D50 really shows its age, and the screen is pretty dismal.
The d50 was the budget model in 2005 the d300 was the midrange model in 2008, so there is 3 years worth of technological advancement stuffed into the d300.
Of course you are right. I've only mentioned this because I recently compared 5D and 60D wedding photos. There are about 5-6 years between those cameras and the 5D is certainly better in terms of detail resolution and colours, even at it's pushed ISO3200 setting.

I had a D40 for a long time and switched to Fuji S5 Pro. The picture quality was better (in particularly dynamic range), so was the overall handling, but I thought it wasn't worth the £450 or so I spent at the time. Upgrading the lenses would have been a better choice.

But the 5D is full frame, so it will be better quality than the 60D regardless of age difference. For the forseeable future anyway, older FF will be better than the latest crop sensors in certain circumstances like resolution, high ISO and colour rendition.

Both the D50 and D300 are the same size sensor, so its much more comparable.

I would suggest not rushing in as many pop up on here for under £500 with less than 20k clicks.

In a happy coincidence I've just realised I've now been given access to the classifieds. I've had a quick look and there are some exactly as you've described. I've calmed down a bit now so am just going to bide my time.

Thanks to all your guys help I now definitely know what I want! D300 it is :)

In a happy coincidence I've just realised I've now been given access to the classifieds. I've had a quick look and there are some exactly as you've described. I've calmed down a bit now so am just going to bide my time.

Thanks to all your guys help I now definitely know what I want! D300 it is :)

I mentioned this on a couple of other threads so I hope it doesn't look like I'm on some kind of marketing campaign but Aperture UK currently have a D300 listed at £390 with 29,000 clicks. Assuming it's not at death's door, that looks like a great price and would come with warranty.

D7000, you'll only want one if you buy its predecessor or the lower model ;)

I've done it! Got an absolute minter with <10k clicks boxed with all accessories and an mc30. Local so I got to have a play first for £500. Getting a nose bleed trying to get my head round it but am really excited by the quality it seems capable of. Feels like brick too especially with the 85mm afd on there :)

Thanks again for the advice, I would never have thought of getting one of these if it wasn't for asking on here!

Great stuff. I remember when I got mine spending the first 2 hours or so just setting up custom menus. I also spent an embarrassingly long time trying to work out how to open the memory card door!

Enjoy!

Great stuff. I remember when I got mine spending the first 2 hours or so just setting up custom menus. I also spent an embarrassingly long time trying to work out how to open the memory card door!
Enjoy!

:D:cautious:

Been there....

Back