Upgrade plan?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
OK so its getting quite near the time where I can fund some new bits of equipment and I have a plan :)

Now I'm considering a 50D (body only) which is looks to be about £475 (judging by TP) and I reckon I could sell my 500D kit + bag + extra bits for around £375; so it'd be £100 for this 'upgrade' - I'm not yet convinced I'll see a difference but I've seen posts saying that the 50D is much better

Turning to the lenses I'd like

70-200 f/4L £380
and one of the following
85 f/1.8*
50 f/1.4
30 f/1.4*
they all seem to be about £225-£250

(*could do with both of these actually!)

Now that leaves a total outlay of ~£700; does this seem a reasonable upgrade? or do I forego the camera upgrade and go for both the 85 and 30 lenses for a bit more cash (and upgrade in time to a 5DII)

Comments/critisism/ideas most welcome before I actually splash the cash

FYI my current Kit

500D + kit lens
17-50 Tamron
80-200 (on loan from a mate) f/4.5-5.6 - old, sucks with CA and soft focus
50mm f/1.8

Unless you know you've reached the limits of the body I would go for glass first, it is more likley to add to your images than a new body. The most obvious advantage of a new body will be features (which you may or may not want, need or use). The least obvious will be IQ unless you need the current body to something it can not do like FPS rate.

Agree with above, go for glass first, although the handling of the xxD range is alot nicer(IMO) than the xxxD range.

I would go for the glass first but instead of going for the 70-200 F4 I would save more and then get the F2.8 version

I'd say go glass first, but bear in mind that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a DC (Crop) lens, so you won't be able to shift up to a 5D and keep using it.

As above really. I upgraded from my 450d when I kept hitting the iso limit. But I wouldn't bother with the 50 1.4. The 1.8 is a lot cheaper and not a lot in it

Back