Beginner Upgrade suggestion

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Evening all,

Another camera suggestion thread, would appreciate any advice before i make any purchases. Looking to buy a new camera, currently using a Nikon D5000. Reason for upgrading is for wireless features, would be handy to be able to access a live view via an app on my phone or similar, would be great to have a weatherproof body for when i go on my hikes come rain or shin, also quite fancy a pentaprism viewfinder and full frame sensor. Upgrade is more of a want than a need if i am being honest! Got a bit of spare money and want to treat myself!

I'm not tied to a particular style, i like to shoot all kinds of things (Landscape, Wildlife, Portraits, Night photography). :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don’t shoot Nikon so cant help you on that score. There is a website that comes up if you want to compare cameras - I just google. X. Versus Y and it seams to come up. FF is great btw but it’s all a bit heavy!

Yes agree with the above post - the D750 is a fantastic camera. I also have a D810 which I acquired from work and I still prefer to use the D750 due to having wifi, and also you can shoot with an infrared remote control rather than having to faff around connecting a more complicated remote shutter release. I don't know what used prices are like but they're certainly a bargain when new compared to a D810 or D850.

You might want to team the camera with a 24-70mm f2.8 (Nikon or Tamron, depending on budget), a 70-200 f2.8 VRII, also a 16-35mm f4 if you like to shoot ultra wideangle landscapes. Full frame lenses will be needed to make the most of a FF camera, it wouldn't be worth buying one if you don't intend to replace your existing lenses (you may already know this, apologies if so)

Last edited:
Yes agree with the above post - the D750 is a fantastic camera. I also have a D810 which I acquired from work and I still prefer to use the D750 due to having wifi, and also you can shoot with an infrared remote control rather than having to faff around connecting a more complicated remote shutter release. I don't know what used prices are like but they're certainly a bargain when new compared to a D810 or D850.

You might want to team the camera with a 24-70mm f2.8 (Nikon or Tamron, depending on budget), a 70-200 f2.8 VRII, also a 16-35mm f4 if you like to shoot ultra wideangle landscapes. Full frame lenses will be needed to make the most of a FF camera, it wouldn't be worth buying one if you don't intend to replace your existing lenses (you may already know this, apologies if so)

Thank you for your time and advice. I have recently been looking at the d750, i was originally looking at the d850 but realised i could go down the d750 route and get myself some good quality glass to go with and still be cheaper. Would also allow me some spare pennies then for hiking gear or a trip to somewhere scenic to take photos!

Thank you for your time and advice. I have recently been looking at the d750, i was originally looking at the d850 but realised i could go down the d750 route and get myself some good quality glass to go with and still be cheaper. Would also allow me some spare pennies then for hiking gear or a trip to somewhere scenic to take photos!
The more money you have for photo trips the better! Let us know how you get on

Hire a top of the range d850 or d5 for a weekend, realise it does not make a blind bit of difference to your photography and get a used d600 for about £500

For what it's worth I compared my Olympus EM5MK2 M43 camera and my mate's D850 in my studio last Saturday.

The result?

Unless you're printing them really big there's not a lot of difference.

Get better glass and use the spare cash for filters / tripod / trips away.

Back