Upgrade time or not

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I've had an opportunity to move up to a Nikon D810 from a D7100. As I have read that there would be no lens compatibility issues with any Nikon lens I thought it might be a really nice way to go .. anybody got any comments and thoughts then feel free to let me know what you think :)

Nikon DX lenses will only work in DX mode without huge vignetting problems with most DX lenses on a FX body. If all your current glass is FX then you will be fine.

oh .. damn .. I just read that any lens (Ken Rockwell) ... Yep I have all DX lenses :-(

It depends on the lens. Below is an example of a DX Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 at 11mm but at 16mm it is nealry completely gone.

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

Although there are other issues. On my D750 the coma in the corners is awful.

I have all DX lenses :-(

They will still work with your D810 ... there is an option to have the camera 'see' DX lenses and adjust to them automatically, the only problem will be that you will not get the full 36MP available. :)

hmmm interesting .. it's a bit of a waste for me to go the D810 and try and use the DX format though .. I don't want to go and spend loads on FX lenses though .. shame as I can get a D810 for £1700

hmmm interesting .. it's a bit of a waste for me to go the D810 and try and use the DX format though .. I don't want to go and spend loads on FX lenses though .. shame as I can get a D810 for £1700

The D810 is a fantastic camera you will see a vast difference from your D7100 even in DX mode and can then change your lenses if and when you need ... or just stick with DX and get a D7200 or D500 :)

I really enjoy the D7100 and there is nothing wrong with it at all. It's great for our holidays and it's not too bulky either. One thing I would miss is the 18-200mm as it's my everyday lens.

so say i went the d810 route. what would be a great wide angle, everyday and macro lens?

Wide angle would be a Samyang 14mm f2.8, great astro lens but manual focus only. Cheap as well. Got one off here 2nd hand for £200.

Wide angle, Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8. Everyday, either the 24-70 f/2.8 or the 24-120 f/4, both Nikkors. Macro, the 105mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8. On a budget, Sigma 12-24, Sigma or Tamron 24-70 and Sigma 105 or Tamron 90 for Macro. Or primes, Tamron 14mm f/2.8 (retains AF and distorts less than the Samyang). 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor - any will do and they're relatively cheap 2nd hand. Macro, see above!

Last edited:
I really enjoy the D7100 and there is nothing wrong with it at all. It's great for our holidays and it's not too bulky either. One thing I would miss is the 18-200mm as it's my everyday lens.

That's my cliff walking / sunset walks set up as well. D750 for everything else.

I use the 16-35 because it accepts filters, but I also have the Sigma 12-24 for stupid wide.

Everyday lens... well, I don't really have one but my "mess around" lens is the 28-300... definitely don't get everything out of the D810 w/ that lens.

My macro is the Sigma 150mm... I prefer a long FL for most macro work.

Honestly, if you do not have a "need" for the D810 then the need to upgrade lenses really makes it a pretty bad move IMO.

???
In DX mode the D810 is just a D7000 w/o an AA filter...
I know you like figures, graphs and the like but on the basis of my experience with both I disagree :)

isnt the 28-300 supposed to be a really good lens?

Nikon made it part of a kit option with the D800/D810 so I guess so, though I have no experience of it :)

I know you like figures, graphs and the like but on the basis of my experience with both I disagree :)
I've used both the D7000 and the D800 side by side... At the time I was deciding if I would keep the D7000 for wildlife (I didn't). If there was a difference between them in DX mode I couldn't see it. Besides the tests/measures/etc, the simple fact is that in DX mode you are discarding 50% of the information the D8xx is capable of recording.

But I will say that it can be *easier* to get high quality images from a D8xx than it is from a 24mp APS camera...

Last edited:
I've used both the D7000 and the D800 side by side... At the time I was deciding if I would keep the D7000 for wildlife (I didn't). If there was a difference between them in DX mode I couldn't see it. Besides the tests/measures/etc, the simple fact is that in DX mode you are discarding 50% of the information the D8xx is capable of recording.

It's more than pixels, Group Area AF for example :)

isnt the 28-300 supposed to be a really good lens?

I was really happy with mine on the D610, not the sharpest but plenty sharp enough, distortion at the wide end was a little high but workable. Coupled with the insane high ISO performance of the camera the slower aperture wasn't that much of an issue for most shooting and it is ideal as an everyday lens for holidays.

If ever I had a Nikon FF camera again I would happily buy another.

It's more than pixels, Group Area AF for example :)
Ah, yes... there are a couple of potential advantages. I don't tend to use Group Area AF, but the quieter shutter is very nice... especially for short range wildlife.

FWIW, I use my D810 in DX mode frequently... not much reason not to if you can't fill the frame. And yes, if shot at lower ISO's there's still plenty left for most uses. But it does negate most of the potential benefits.

But it does negate most of the potential benefits.
Yes ... if you have FX lenses available but if all your lenses currently are DX the situation is different and you have the opportunity to gradually build up a set of FX lenses.

The 18-35mm G is a great landscape lens, really sharp. I have the 24-120mm f4 as my walkabout lens and optically I think it's good, although I'm not 100% sure it's worth the price if bought separate. The only thing I've found is that AF speed isn't the best for fast sports and have been considering a used 24-70mm. I'd miss the extra 50mm though.

OP I'd give serious consideration about upgrading, unless you're going to eventually upgrade to FX glass you're really not going to get the best of the D810, and whilst £1700 may seem good value at first it probably won't be as good value when you're only seeing a fraction of the potential.

Yes ... if you have FX lenses available but if all your lenses currently are DX the situation is different and you have the opportunity to gradually build up a set of FX lenses.

An alternative way to look at it would be to build up your lenses first and THEN buy the body, which will have gone down significantly in price in the meantime.

An alternative way to look at it would be to build up your lenses first and THEN buy the body, which will have gone down significantly in price in the meantime.

It's not going that way at the moment, prices have been rising and continue to rise ... however I agree that FX lenses are the ideal for both :)

My personal opinion is that most do not have any real need/reason to upgrade to FF... ever. Heck, I shoot a lot of stuff w/ a Nikon1 and I still own/use a Fuji X20...

Don't get me wrong, if you want the best possible *potential* and money isn't a concern then FF is the way to go... or maybe MF/LF... But for most general photography it's not really needed IMO.

It's not going that way at the moment, prices have been rising and continue to rise ... however I agree that FX lenses are the ideal for both :)
Prices would likely fall once the replacement is out, assuming it's not discontinued of course.

Prices would likely fall once the replacement is out, assuming it's not discontinued of course.

I think it would take time but it's all guesswork ... whatever the situation the D7000 is not the best option IMO, subject to available budget.
D810 improves AF, buffer and speed in DX mode :)

Wide angle, Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8. Everyday, either the 24-70 f/2.8 or the 24-120 f/4, both Nikkors. Macro, the 105mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8. On a budget, Sigma 12-24, Sigma or Tamron 24-70 and Sigma 105 or Tamron 90 for Macro. Or primes, Tamron 14mm f/2.8 (retains AF and distorts less than the Samyang). 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor - any will do and they're relatively cheap 2nd hand. Macro, see above!

Agree with this.

However, what is your reason for swapping? The D810 is a bit heavier than a 7100 so bear that in mind.

My opinion is its better to have a great sharp lens on a d7100 than a d810 with a milk bottle on the front !

Back