Upgrade to 7D Mark II, or stick with the 50D until something better comes along?

Name
blaize
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought my 50D about a week after they were made available, and have never regretted it. This camera has faithfully served me for the last 6 years or so and it still works great. Likewise, I've passed up a number of sucessors to the 50D including the 60D, 70D, and the original 7D. I never saw any of these as a substantial upgrade to what I already had in the 50D.

But the rumored specs on the 70D Mark II are looking more enticing...just about everything is better: ISO range, FPS, Megapixels, burst rate, etc.

My apprehension is that the specs are substantial enough to justify the upgrade. Likewise, I'm not a video guy. I have a camcorder that I keep in my bag, but the truth is that I rarely use it, and even then it's mostly for capturing memories.

So I'm torn: do I get the 7D Mark II or wait for the 80D (or whatever they will call it) to come out?

When (and if) the 7D II is released (remember it's still only a rumour), the price will likely be close to £2000 until it settles at a much more reasonable level. The question you have to ask is whether it's functionality over your 50D and the 70D is worth the extra for the type of photography you do. If your 50D is still doing what you want it to, why upgrade?

I agree with Brachytron. I had a 30d about 10 years ago now and i wish I still had it. It was so good. I only upgraded as the sensor went all weird on me. It was 8mp but was amazing for the internet and even blowing pics up..... solid body, nice weight, sexy sexy camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iv'e had a 50d and there very good but most of the more modern bodies will beat it hands down in the high iso low noise department and for that reason i would consider upgrading weather i would choose a 7d mk2 ( if it ever arrives ) i don't know it would have to be pretty special to persuade me
in the mean time the 70d looks pretty good for a crop sensor body

Tbh there's not much difference between a 50d and 70d IQ wise. If Iq is what you're interested in, the upgrade should be towards a FF body, a 6d can be had for a couple of hundred quid more than the 70d.

I was talking to a Canon pro dealer recently and he was telling me not to hold out any hope that the 7DMkII would be a mini 1DX. Their info was similar spec to 70D but enhanced video capability.

Disappointing if its true but he seemed quite confident.

I was talking to a Canon pro dealer recently and he was telling me not to hold out any hope that the 7DMkII would be a mini 1DX. Their info was similar spec to 70D but enhanced video capability.

Disappointing if its true but he seemed quite confident.

Thats a shame would be amazing if it was a crop version of the 1DX
I'm a real fan of the 7D and am really interested in what Canon do with the update:):)

Last edited:
So I'm torn: do I get the 7D Mark II or wait for the 80D (or whatever they will call it) to come out?

But when / if they come out you'll be considering the 7D Mark III or the 90D ;)

I'm in a very similar boat, long term user of the venerable 40D and later added a 50D (purely for MFA & Magiclantern) and i'm having a very big upgrade itch at present. Nothing about the 60D/70D/7D tempts me for my style of shooting and they are not significant upgrades for what i do. Better high ISO performance, increased AF points, video and flip out screen just don't add any value for me. Plus i love the ergonomics of a 'proper' body such as the 40D / 50D.

My next move will be a FF body to compliment my 50D and i suspect it'll be a 6D. The 5D3 as awesome as the AF system is and the security of the dual card slots it's way out of my acceptable spending range. But the more 'modest' priced 6D (£1000 imported) ticks all the boxes for my next upgrade, improved imagine quality, better bokeh, wifi for remote shooting, extremely sensitive centre af point, etc. Minus points for the 1/4000 shutter, 1/180 flash sync and neutered af system / points but then that's Canon placing it where they have in the product line up.

Last edited:
Back