Upgrade XT-1

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've had my XT-1 since not long after launch and used it mainly for landscapes were it did a great job. These days, not getting so much time for landscape and shoot more with my Rx1R and M9. Mostly family days out, with dog, portraits etc today. I find the autofocus on all of these, just not up to the job, or maybe it's me :)

I plan on keeping the M9 as I enjoy the style, when wandering, but with he family and dog, neither it nor the Rx1R are much use.

I never carry the XT-1 as too big, so thought maybe about selling the T1 and upgrading to the XT-30. It seems a lot smaller and has the benefits of the Xt-3 focus etc in a more carry around package. I can also use my lenses. Most of my lenses are old. 55-230, 18-55, 60mm, 35 / 1.4 and 14mm. Will these keep up with the focus, I assume not for the 60mm and 35mm, but how about the others? Or will I need newer, faster focusing lenses too?

I may sell the Rx1R. Love the images, but overkill if I can use the smaller XT as my go to.

Anyone done similar or able to offer any advice?

Thanks,
Steve

Size wise there is not a great deal of difference if you want the improved AF and all the rest of the improvements then yes, as far as the lenses are concerned no idea but I would not have thought it will make much difference

Many of the older Fuji lenses work much better on the newer bodies. I use the 35/1.4 on my X-E3 and it's great - maybe not as fast as the newer f2s but still a lot faster than on my X-Pro1. I don't think you'll have a problem.

I've never heard anyone call the X-T1 'big' :D but, if you find it so, then yes the XT30 will be more compact. It will also blow your X-T1 away in terms of AF speed. Unless you really need the 1.4, I would suggest the 35 F2 for shooting images of the dog. Honestly you will love it for that purpose. The IQ is pretty much the same between the two 35mm lenses beyond F2 but the F2 is way faster and it's also a lot quieter, almost silent even, which might be handy for stealthier shots. It also has the advantage of weather sealing, for times when you might like shots of the dog in the rain, or splashing through puddles.

I loved the XT1 when I owned it, but it is a bit of a slug at times, and that was 2 years back. I use the XH1 now, definitely not one for you as it's the heftiest of the APSC Fuji bodies, but I love a good grip. I had the 35 F2 for a bit, sold when I got the 16-55, but it is a very nice little lens, very sharp wide open, I just didn't find it amazing for close up photography. At a distance though it's very good.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Food for thought. Time to sell something and look at the getting an XT-30!

Regards,
Steve

Back