Upgrade...

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted in the 'Equipment' group but had little to no reponse. :eek:(

Im looking to get a new body to replace one of my canon 5d mk2's. my work has moved towards more video then photo and i have abused my 5d's, that its probably due an upgrade on one.

My work consists of marketing Angling, Outdoors, and sports companies. With the added delight of hair styling and small fashion. My 5dmk2's have done the job so far but feel i could benefit with a better quality of footage/image and better framerate to work with.

With a budget of around £1500... what should i be looking at? I know second hand will be probably be the way but im stuck for which route to go.

Do you want to stick with Canon? You can get a Panasonic GH4 for around £800 and that will give you 4K video. That would then leave you £700 for lenses.

I do have abit of canon glass. So if I was to go Panasonic I'd only look at the gh5 due to the better specs and unlimited recording.

The canon c100 mkii looks a good bit of kit but a little out of reach I reckon

I have looked at the mark3 and it does work out to be one to the cheaper options but my general feeling is that I'm going to need more from the video side, which the mark3 has better sensor and pixels then mark2 but still films at 1080 at no more then 30fps. So will I be in this same situation a year down the line? Possibly.

I love the mark 3 to photograph with. So i guess it's a high possibility. Was wondering what other bodies out there anyone would recommend.

I'm sure someone with more expierence will come along, but if you have a load of canon lenses and your budget is £1500 and you want higher resolutions and various frame rates then I don't think there is anything available.

If you moved over to another brand then you might be ok but the lenses would have to be sold and replaced, but you never know what deal you might get used as a bundle anyway.

The canon 5d mk IV has the resolution and the frame rates ndyou can use your lenses, but it's double your budget at present.

Dan
Are you looking to go down the DSLR route? If you are then I would seriously hold on ( if you can) ;till the GH5 comes along. The spec seems amazing, but we have to wait until the production models hit the shops to see if it is true. her is a link to Philip Johnstons HD warrior site that has got a couple of articles on the GH5
http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/

Alternatively are you looking to go for a convention video unit. Do you want 4K? There are a couple of units in your price range from both JVC and Panasonic . The Panasonic HC-X1000E . JVC GY-HM170E and JVC GY-HM200E. Or if you can afford it the Panasonic HC-X1E with its 1" full frame 4 K sensor An additional unit is the Canon X1.but does use the expensive CFast cards, although they are coming down in price. Also it shoots in Clog which can be an advantage

John C

Dan
Are you looking to go down the DSLR route? If you are then I would seriously hold on ( if you can) ;till the GH5 comes along. The spec seems amazing, but we have to wait until the production models hit the shops to see if it is true. her is a link to Philip Johnstons HD warrior site that has got a couple of articles on the GH5
http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/

Alternatively are you looking to go for a convention video unit. Do you want 4K? There are a couple of units in your price range from both JVC and Panasonic . The Panasonic HC-X1000E . JVC GY-HM170E and JVC GY-HM200E. Or if you can afford it the Panasonic HC-X1E with its 1" full frame 4 K sensor An additional unit is the Canon X1.but does use the expensive CFast cards, although they are coming down in price. Also it shoots in Clog which can be an advantage

John C

I have ear marked the gh5 as the most likely option at the moment. It's a beast and to be honest I'd get away with a couple of lenses for it for all my work. Just need to hold on til end of march though!

I'm sure someone with more expierence will come along, but if you have a load of canon lenses and your budget is £1500 and you want higher resolutions and various frame rates then I don't think there is anything available.

If you moved over to another brand then you might be ok but the lenses would have to be sold and replaced, but you never know what deal you might get used as a bundle anyway.

The canon 5d mk IV has the resolution and the frame rates ndyou can use your lenses, but it's double your budget at present.

I do have a load of canon gear so ideally the next camera would be canon, but I do have adapters for Sony.

I realise I need to most likely go down second hand route and from my research there are a number of cameras that fit my budget and just over. This is more to see what can be recommended to me from people that are doing video work etc so know what to look at.

The mark iv would be ideal looking at the specs I reckon but like you say a little over budget.

Back