Beginner upgrade

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone hope you can help me i have a Canon 600d has this has 18 megapixels how much of a improvement would i see with the Canon 7d mk2 that has 20 megapixels using it for wildlife photography .
Thanks Sean

Does the 600D have the old 7D sensor? I remember the rush of 7D photographers leaping to the 7D2 because of the better ISO capabilities.... 18 to 20 in terms of resolution is negligible but I am sure (even though OH has 7D2 I don't know how to work the dreadful thing) 7D2 has features that allow you to further crop the image. But the better low light capabilities of the 7D2 is worthy of consideration.

I moved from a 550d to a 7d2 sometime ago now. You will see a difference it is a very good camera. it is one the most customisable cameras IO have used and for wildlife you won't do much better. As said before a good lens will do you no harm either

Well I got the 7d mk2 and a Sigma 150-600mm c lens and loving them both thanks for the help
Sean
that should be great for wildlife, both are highly praised bits of kit.
Have a look at Grant Atkinsons youtube vids for a detailed explanation of the focusing system of the camera, he shoots with the same body (and others)

Hello everyone hope you can help me i have a Canon 600d has this has 18 megapixels how much of a improvement would i see with the Canon 7d mk2 that has 20 megapixels using it for wildlife photography .
Thanks Sean

Upgrading from a 2MP to a 20MP is a big major improvement very much like upgrading from Apple's iOS 5.1 to iOS 11.4. (Metaphorically speaking.)

But upgrade from 18MP to 20MP is nothing special, it's as much as upgrading from 11.2 to 11.4! (Metaphorically speaking.)

I would suggest you follow @Tobers's suggestion, upgrading your lens would make a better difference.

Both the 18MP and 20MP can print up to A3, and could go for up to A0 (8x A3 paper) before image quality start to show noticeable shape of pixels. It is not like you're planning on printing image size of around 30"x46" are you?

Even if you only print up to A4, both 18MP and 20MP would only show very much the same to anyone.

It is not just about the pixel count, for wildlife the 7D2 is light years ahead of the 600D which has 9 focus points compared to the 7D2's 65 all cross type. Sensor has moved on a lot since the 600 came out as well.

But upgrade from 18MP to 20MP is nothing special,

Apart from the fact the advice is too late; there’s more difference between those sensors than 2mp. And there’s a huge difference in camera capability.

7D mkii may only have 2mp but the better auto focus system, improved high iso performance and faster FPS make the 7D mkii a large step up from the 600d.

Back