UpgradeItis

S

Sean_Mcr

It's my birthday this month, and i could get a 5D 30D ect. But i sit down, i look at my images ect i ask myself a simple question, do i need more?

That is a question Canon or Nikon would rather we not ask ourselves.
Last camera i bought was 2 years ago, last lens a year ago, it was a year before i bought a lens before that.

I'm not saying i won't buy a new camera, but it will only be when i feel the camera is needed. I think many upgrades come out of wants. You get to know people sharing ideas and shots ect, you see the progression. I think the best kind of progression i see comes in the theory and the approach to photography rather then in their purchase history

There is research and a book published on 'The Tyranny of Choice"

http://www.alternet.org/story/18390/

I'll take this from it

"Then there's adaptation, which is simply the human propensity to get used to things. And as a result of adaptability, most things turn out to be not quite as good as expected.

Add to that the effort many of us invest in the decisions we make and you've got a recipe for unhappiness. For example, "spending four months deciding what car stereo to buy is not so bad if you really enjoy that stereo for 15 years. But if you end up being excited by it for six months and then adapting, you may feel like a fool for having put in all the effort."

Now i saw the thread on the 40D, and i saw the arguments against there being any truth the article, as it being true may imply people have bought the wrong camera. Which would be awful, but would it be? What's the wrong camera anyway?

I'm going to have some cake on the 24th, i love me cake me, but choc or not that's the real question

LOL. I sometimes think about the glass I could have bought for what I paid for the 1D - I already had a 20D. I've no regrets about the purchase though, the faster focusing system and spot metering have got me wildlife shots I might not have got and the wider FOV is nice with the 50mm.

I can't see any good reason for parting with either camera for some considerable time. It certainly wont be for more pixels. What will happen of course is that some innovation will come in which really does make a difference. Noiseless LCD shutter anyone? :D

when you think people like Bresson made a 40 year groundbreaking career with a 50mm lens and a leica, you can't help but be reminded that you do not need a wealth of lenses to be creative, that it can only come from with in. The answer on how to solve your frustration does not lie in a 20D, a D200, a 5D or a hasselblad.

You can not shop your way to creativity. I know the type of photographer you are, and you know as well as i do that the tag of a pro means very little.

Believe you answered this yourself, so I'll quote you :)

(y)

i got my eye on a 30d....but the mrs says there is nothing wrong with the 300d i have now...

Im looking at the 30D also, my boss got one and Im very impressed with it. Would like to stretch to a 5D but believe the 30D to have more plus points for me than the 5D.

I've upgraded at a monstrous rate and now think it's time to take stock and pursue that elusive shot........... I hope :wacky:

i got my eye on a 30d....but the mrs says there is nothing wrong with the 300d i have now...

She's wrong, Matty. It obviously has too many zeros for your liking...

Well I came straight in and went for the 5D. I chose it because after reading up on it, I decided it was a camera that Id like to grow into, though I fell foul of a few snide comments for being a noob with a 5D before I came to rest with the fine folk at TPF.
I dont think I have UpgradeItis, theres still a bit of kit I want, a decent bag and a tripod then I intend to stop with the purchasing and just concentrate solely on the learning ... anyway, theres too many shoes in the shops to spend all my pennies on photog equipment :LOL:

...then I intend to stop with the purchasing and just concentrate solely on the learning ... anyway, theres too many shoes in the shops to spend all my pennies on photog equipment :LOL:

Two things, Gloria.

1. You'll never stop buying once you've got the bug. After the tripod and bag comes the upgrade lenses, etc.
2. Shoes? There are too many guitars about to worry about footwear!

:exit:

I can't see me making a photographic upgrade for a while.

I can't use my 20d well enough to justify spending more money on a 1d.

Now, upgrades on mountain bikes and guns.......now there's an itch :eek:

Well I came straight in and went for the 5D. I chose it because after reading up on it, I decided it was a camera that Id like to grow into,

Quite right too Glo, If your budget reached the 5D then you have made the correct decision.(y)

though I fell foul of a few snide comments for being a noob with a 5D before I came to rest with the fine folk at TPF.

These maggots making snide comments are jealous of you Glo, Take heed I respect your decision to buy this superb camera and the only way to shut them up is to prove them wrong with your work..(y)

Good luck girl, I have seen your work and admire what you have acheaved so far..:)

Quite right too Glo, If your budget reached the 5D then you have made the correct decision.(y)

These maggots making snide comments are jealous of you Glo, Take heed I respect your decision to buy this superb camera and the only way to shut them up is to prove them wrong with your work..(y)

Good luck girl, I have seen your work and admire what you have acheaved so far..:)
Aww! bless you Tim and thank you! :)

I think he wants his nails done, Glo ;)

Buying an advanced camera in the first instance, one you're not going to outgrow in a hurry, actually makes a lot of sense. It's only a waste and a bit of a tragedy if you don't make the best use you can out of it's potential. ;)

Buying an advanced camera in the first instance, one you're not going to outgrow in a hurry, actually makes a lot of sense. It's only a waste and a bit of a tragedy if you don't make the best use you can out of it's potential. ;)

Completely agree, I bought my original 1D because I had read up on all of the problems that people were having framing the shots, not being able to crop too much due to the MP's (not the politicians LoL), etc, etc. And then followed this with the reviews & images by people that had really taken the time to learn to work with the camera - I saw an awesome set of images (sorry can't remember where but will post if I do) taken at ISO1600 in a dark concert venue under stage lighting & the image was exposed perfectly with next to no noise - really showed what the camera could do if used properly.
I too have a 20D & admit that the amount of leeway I get with this cam is much more & better for low light but I love the learning that the 1D has forced me to...erm, learn :D & it has definately made me a better photographer (not posted any 1D pics yet but fully intend to get a great deal at Chester Zoo (y) )
Definately think Glo made the correct decision - I've seen the photographic evidence (y) .

It's not a dig at anybody guys, you do need gear you can't make it with just your hands, but you can't just make it with gear.

I won't be buying a new camera, i never intended to. I've got in to collecting rare photography books, i've got a couple in mind and an expodisc. That's about all i need photography wise right now, but there will be plenty of none photography related goodies to lol

I'm spoilt, Diane bought me a 35mm 1.4 and a 135 2.0 and a gitzo tripod last year.

But she's just as spoilt, she easily spends a 5D shopping every year:(

We're consumers

I've got in to collecting rare photography books, i've got a couple in mind and an expodisc.

Get two ... one for each ear you pirate :LOL:

Agree with you. I have had three DSLR's a bag full of lenses in my time. There is something that I search for. Maybe it's in myself or maybe it's in my gear, but the closest I have found has been the 30D and my classic Zeiss and Pentax lenses. Different 'feel' to the 'sharp/saturated L look, but somehow more emotive and preferable. I like the idea of a 5D and a 35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4 which is I suppose where you are. I'd like to try it: the classic FF quality prime look that can support a good eye. I should have a Leica I suppose and be done with it. Maybe when they bring out their new DSLR next year I might cash in my chips.

When the time comes, I need:
1) some sort of wide angle lens
2) some sort of zoom lens

At the moment, I'm making do with my kit lens. :D

I won't be upgrading the 350D body any time soon. Maybe when the shutter breaks?

Now, upgrades on mountain bikes and guns.......now there's an itch :eek:
:eek:
You mean guns are allowed in the UK?:naughty:
Please tell me more about gun sports that you take part in or are available.
I have just bought my 3rd pistol and regularly take part in IPSC shooting contests.

BTW Digitalfailure if you see this ,I gave the wife ample warning to tell me which colour m/bike she wants for Christmas so we can ride together.
I sorely miss mine.
I cannot repeat her reply on this forum...:LOL:

:eek:
You mean guns are allowed in the UK?:naughty:
Please tell me more about gun sports that you take part in or are available.
I have just bought my 3rd pistol and regularly take part in IPSC shooting contests.

Guns are allowed in the UK. There's plenty of opportunities to practice shotgun shooting - all the disciplines, sporting, skeet and trap, at various commercial shooting grounds and at the thousands of clay shooting club shoots every Sunday morning.

Pistol and rifle shooting still has plenty of devotees, but following a number of mass shootings in recent years, gun security and safe keeping legislation has become much stricter, so as far as I'm aware it's not possible now to keep a legally possessed pistol or rifle at home. I believe they have to be stored within strict safe keeping requirements at a club or similar premises. At least that was the intention of the proposed new legislation the last I heard.

Shotguns can be kept at home but there are now very strict regulations covering secure storage when not actually in possession of the shotgun certificate holder.

Get two ... one for each ear you pirate :LOL:

Agree with you. I have had three DSLR's a bag full of lenses in my time. There is something that I search for. Maybe it's in myself or maybe it's in my gear, but the closest I have found has been the 30D and my classic Zeiss and Pentax lenses. Different 'feel' to the 'sharp/saturated L look, but somehow more emotive and preferable. I like the idea of a 5D and a 35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4 which is I suppose where you are. I'd like to try it: the classic FF quality prime look that can support a good eye. I should have a Leica I suppose and be done with it. Maybe when they bring out their new DSLR next year I might cash in my chips.

There is no disc big enough for these lugs David. There's not a lens wide enought get both my ears in one shot lol

But you know i'm not against gear, you need it. I just want to see people bending gear to their will, and not letting gear bend ours

Pistols, carbines and the like are now a no no:crying: That is except .22 single shot and antique weapons, mainly black powder (messy bl**dy stuff). I used to love jumping around with me S&W 45 acp strapped to me side, practical pistol shooting.

Single shot rifles of most any caliber are ok at home as is shot guns, but you have to have a section 1 FAC for semi-auto's with a mag capacity greater than 3 rounds. Strange thing is that with a shotgun cert there is no real limit to the number you can posses.

CT
Thanks for that.
I just don't get it how you can store a shotgun at your house but not a pistol?:thinking:

Oh maybe 'cause you can't hide a shotgun on your person and take it to the mall so easily?

Hi guys
Hang on I am now hijacking this thread SORRY OP:wave:
I will quickly go and submit a new thread under general chat and lets hope some more gun afficionados join in(y)

CT
Thanks for that.
I just don't get it how you can store a shotgun at your house but not a pistol?:thinking:

Oh maybe 'cause you can't hide a shotgun on your person and take it to the mall so easily?

Well they simply come under different legislation. Shotguns require a Shotgun Certificate to possess one. You have to have good reason to purchase.. for instance declare an interest in clay shooting or have access to land to shoot game or vermin. This isn't pursued particularly vigorously and chief officers of police have to grant a certificate unless they can show good reason not to, a history of mental instability for example, or certain criminal convictions. You can appeal the chief officers decision to a mag's court.

Pistols and rifles are classed as 'Section 1' firearms (bullet firing weapons without being too technical about it) and require a Firearm Certificate to be granted before you can purchase or possess. The applicant's background is rigorously looked into by the police before a certificate is granted.

I assume the thinking behind it is that shotguns are only lethal at a fairly short range whereas some of the others can take you out at 200 yards.... weaving! :LOL:

7.62mm Enfiled No4 MK2, open sights, standing still, I'll drop you at 1200 yds :razz:

Come on butch and sundance:tumbleweed: :LOL:

66461893.UbGLaUMl.topic.jpg

:LOL: Ohh alright then.

I have no immediate intention of upgrading my 350D. Guess I need to learn how to use that to its full potential first. But as for glass, ahhh. Just got a 100 - 400 IS USM L, all I can say is wowwww:)

Hey Sean Mcr
dont knock it ,at least the bottom of Africa is still on your planet if in another hemisphere:D :D :D

I've taken this post on Mike Johnstons plog that makes some good points.

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/

The Needmores

A leitmotif of web-based camera chat, as I'm sure you haven't failed to notice if you partake, is the not-good-enough, I-need-more, no-thanks-I'll-wait type of posting. It's understandable: there is a deep streak of terror in having to say "I've got all the equipment I need already" and going mano a mano with the work. That tends to point up the deficiencies in one's eye, ambition, and skill set, the thought of which can lead to a sort of crawly, angsty web-based jittery feeling. Easier, safer, to keep aloof.

The quintessential Needmore type is never satisfied with what's available—or even what's about to be available. Either a) it's not good enough, or b) if it's good enough, then it's not cheap enough. The implication is that it's up to the manufacturers to try even harder to pry open their wallets. (Of course, many of those wallets are home to nothing but little fluttery moths; it's easier to remain dissatisfied when you're not getting your money's worth from hypothetical money. Actual investment has a tendency to focus peoples' minds on the positives.)

For example, we're now less that a week away from the official release of the digital Leica M. It's nice that it's going to be a real M camera, as opposed to some relabeled Pacific-rim body with magic German dust sprinkled on it by "inspectors." You can thank me—I'm going to refrain from making wise-alecky comments about the Titanic amongst icebergs where the possibility for bone-jarring, dream-crushing disappointments in the final specs are concerned; for now, I'm happy to assume that Leica's not going to screw up. I'm told, however, that there is already a “When will the M9 be here?” thread on the Leica Forum. And tons of “I’m waiting for the full-frame version,” or “I’m waiting for prices to fall to $2,000,” etc. Good luck with that, fellas. As long as it's never good enough, then, Whew! You never have to worry about making that commitment.

The coolest news about the digital Leica M is that it's going to have an actual optical rangefinder. It's always been my opinion that both the classic optical-rangefinder Leica body and the classic Rollei -flex/-cord style body would be perfect for adaptation to digital. Both give intelligent methods for viewfinding and focusing without the one getting in the way of the other, and both would seem to have room for the electronics. We've seen one implementation of the former already, in the Epson RD-1. We'll see the second come Friday. Should be way fun—unless of course you already know you need more

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

Back