Upgrading camera!

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, im looking to upgrade from my very basic kodak Z1015IS to something abit more powerful. Ive got a budget of £400 and cant decided if i should buy a camera with standard lens at around about that price, or buy a cheaper camera but also buy a better lens. Can anyone suggest what would be my best option. I am new'ish to photography but understand all the manual functions so wont be using it as a point and shoot. I have no preference over Canon or Nikon either. Thanks for the help...

Yo be able to help you better:

1. Used or new (or are both ok?)
2. What kind of photos do you prefer taking?
3. Did you go to a shop near you and try how different models feel?

Since you're coming from a compact camera, most kit lenses should be nice enough to start.
You also won't be able to get something much better with that budget.

1. Prefer new but if used is ok that would be fine, not sure how cameras deteriorate over time but if you guys say its ok, then im happy buying used.

2. photo wise i prefer landscape and playing with hdr, also macro.

3. Not been to any shops, have heard nikon feel better but not sure if the feel of a camera will persuade me to buy it if i know the other camera is better. my grip can always adapt to what its holding?? though im sure some of you enthusiats will shout at me now and tell me different...????

Yeh know its a tight budget but should be able to get a nice simple entry level dslr which i can develop my skills more with?

I buy used equipment all the time and I think it's a good option, especially on older equipment. You just need to be aware of the risks.

Between Canon and Nikon, I recommend you to test both cameras and see by yourself the one that suits you better. Inside the same range, they are very similar.

If you aren't sure which direction you want to get then just get an entry level dslr for now, then as you develop your skills you can buy more kit.

I can only speak about Canon but with £400 to £450 you could get one of the following:

1. New 500D + 18-55 lens (£450 + delivery) - Best option if you want HD video
2. 2nd Hand 40D + 18-55 lens
3. 2nd Hand 30D + 18-55 + 70-300 lens

Look out for a Nikon D40 with kit lens. Should be able to get one 2nd hand for around £250. This will give you a bit of money left over for camera bag, memory cards, etc. and also allow you to get a decent tripod, essential if you want to get into landscape photography.

Look at the classified sections on this forum, members here always look after their kit.

Last edited:
dont really need hd video. have been looking at used nikon d40x, slightly over £400 but could prob stretch to that.

Sounds too much for a used d40x but maybe that's just me :shrug:
I would look in this forum for 2nd hand items.

Totally agree!

Just in There is a Nikon D60 + 18-105mm lens which may be of interest to you, at a reasonable price, in the classified section of the forum.

Back