Upgrading CS3 to CS4

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I thought I'd offer my experience of upgrading Cs3 to Cs4.

I decided to try the free 30 day trial after seeing a demo of the new dodge and burn tools in Cs4 which, I have to say, are seriously impressive.

One Cs4 duly installed alongside my Cs3 and bridge.

I had the devils own job of getting my actions copied across. It turns out they are in a hidden folder and it took me ages to track them down and I only managed it with the help of TP. So eventually I got my actions copied across by copying this hidden *psp file from CS3 into the same folder in Cs4.

They work! hurrah. Now I'm making progress.

But I also have a range of presets and plugins........what do I do with those?

Ok so I go back to my original install disc for some of my plugins. Try to install one..........nope..........not only will it not install it has completely b***ered Cs4. Every time I open it, it's looking for the plug in library and because it can't find it I can't use CS4.

Turns out the plugin is not compatible with Cs4!

So I resign myself to CS3 because the plugin is more valuable to me than the new dodge and burn tools. I take Cs4 off my PC.

Go back to do some editing for my website and now, if I open an image in Bridge, it won't open in Cs3 by double clicking.

So now my Cs3 is broken.

Great.

So far about 6 hours of utter frustration and I've ended up worse off than I was.

Off to try to fix Cs3 :bang:

I feel for ya :(

Before I went to try cs4 I took my cs3 off just incase this happened.
Hope you get it sorted.

If I had removed Cs3 before I installed Cs4 I'd have lost every action that I've built up over two years. Some were almost as expensive as upgrading to Cs4! So that's a non starter.

That's the problem with this. It's fine if you have a bare bones programme but if you have actions, presets and plug ins it's an absolute nightmare.

If you are ever considering doing this please remember to set a restore point on your PC first.

xx

AliB
Found this on the Fred Miranda site. Check the post 5 down I think. Looks like you need to reimport for them to work, but I think you've probably done that already.

Are you running 64bit. If so you need 64 bit versions

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/703576/0

Some were almost as expensive as upgrading to Cs4! So that's a non starter.

Sorry can't help on the CS3/4 issue but where do you buy actions from for over a hundred quid :thinking: and what do they do??

I have some Jeff Ascough actions, some Mark Cleghorn actions some Nik filter ones some totally rad ones and some I wrote myself.

All in all about 50 or 60 actions and a total value of around £250.

I'm not about to lose that lot!

What do they do? Well many of them are around 17-20 steps that you would have to take in photoshop to achieve certain effects, some are skin smoothing, some are black and white conversions, some are very clever vignettes, some are colour processes....................

The actions I could get to copy in the *psp file but the plug in I could not get to work was Mask Pro4. That's another 100 squids worth too .

Back