Upgrading Equiptment...

Everyone has their own opinions on this but my opinion is why buy a FF camera and not use the full sensor, at least for the majority of time? If you’re going to use DX lenses then you’d have been better sticking with a DX body getting the best out of both lens and body.

For what it’s worth the 35mm f1.8G on the D3400 gives you 10mpix sharpnes/detail, the 50mm f1.8D and 50mm f1.8G give you 19 and 17 mpix respectively on the D750. I would guess that the 35mm dx on the D750 will give you a max 10mpix, maybe less.

Sharpness isn’t everything but 10mpix isn’t great and certainly not getting the best out of FF.

So I will just carry on using my DX body untill I replace the lenses?

Everyone has their own opinions on this but my opinion is why buy a FF camera and not use the full sensor, at least for the majority of time? If you’re going to use DX lenses then you’d have been better sticking with a DX body getting the best out of both lens and body.

For what it’s worth the 35mm f1.8G on the D3400 gives you 10mpix sharpnes/detail, the 50mm f1.8D and 50mm f1.8G give you 19 and 17 mpix respectively on the D750. I would guess that the 35mm dx on the D750 will give you a max 10mpix, maybe less.

Sharpness isn’t everything but 10mpix isn’t great and certainly not getting the best out of FF.

I geuss I will just keep using my DX body then untill I replace my lenses

I geuss I will just keep using my DX body then untill I replace my lenses
Well the D750 will still have advantages such as a better AF system so being as you have it I would still use it now that you have it. But as twist suggests, sell your dx lenses and get some of the older cheaper D FX lenses for now .

When I bought my D750 I started out with the 28-105mm D lens and 50mm f1.8g (which was £100 new when I bought it) and gradually upgraded over the years.

I also believe your 50mm is an FX lens as I’m pretty sure Nikon don’t do a 50mm dx lens.

It uses only the middle section of the sensor instead of the full thing. But yes it does show vignetting but obviously that can be corrected in post.
May as well have stuck with the crop then because now you're only using part of the full frame sensor.

As for fixing in post - why not use the right lens and eliminate the need? (And use the resolution of the full sensor at the same time) :thinking:

This isn't technically true, I aren't going to upgrade all lenses as some will be just as suitable

Toby explained it well.

If you want the real benefit of your D750 then you need FX lenses: otherwise you've gained slightly better handling in exchange for worse resolution and noise.

Well the D750 will still have advantages such as a better AF system so being as you have it I would still use it now that you have it. But as twist suggests, sell your dx lenses and get some of the older cheaper D FX lenses for now .

When I bought my D750 I started out with the 28-105mm D lens and 50mm f1.8g (which was £100 new when I bought it) and gradually upgraded over the years.

I also believe your 50mm is an FX lens as I’m pretty sure Nikon don’t do a 50mm dx lens.

Thank you for posting and actually helping me with what I asked, yeah thats what I planned to do from the beginning selling my dx lenses for FX just not straight away as even selling the DX lenses I wont be able to afford all the FX lenses I want straight away.

The 50mm isn't a nikon lens but is DX :)

Hey everyone,
So I have recently upgraded from Nikon D3500 to full frame Nikon D750.
I currently have a 35mm dx format lens that will work on my new FX camera but I am wondering if I should be buying a 50mm FX lens instead? Obviously the 50mm FX lens will be full frame so be better for low light, I assume, as it will use all of the sensor instead of just the middle.

Does anyone know if the quality of an image taken with a 50mm lens full frame is much different to a 35mm lens in crop sensor format?

Kind Regards

Joe

Edited as seems I wasn't getting the information I was looking for.

OK Joe, let's try again, since you are now asking different questions.

Image quality with a 50mm on FX will be better than an equivalent quality 35mm on DX in terms of noise at higher ISO levels and if you need to make bigger enlargements. Also the D750 sensor is likely to provide a wider dynamic range than that of a D3500 (so you can recover shadows more cleanly) and if you want to use shallow depth of field to separate your subject from the background then it may be just a little more effective.

Depending on the 2 lenses used, the FX format may also render the image a little more '3D', but that's by no means guaranteed, and if you're buying a Nikon 50 D or G (I've owned both, but not a DX35) then I doubt there will be any appreciable difference in rendering.

All these things will be barely noticeable with the image reduced to 1024px on the long side or smaller, for display on the internet, but will be much more obvious at full size on screen or if you print big.

I would just keep the DX body for your DX lenses until you have the FX lenses you need. DX lenses aren't much fun on FX, with a letterboxed viewfinder and a downgrade from 24 to 10 megapixels. The 50mm 1.8 G is an obvious choice for under £200. With a D750, you also have the option of using the older 'screwdriver' AF/AF-D lenses, which are often inexpensive but still high quality, though they won't autofocus on your D3500. All the Nikon 50mm lenses are very good, and you can find the 50mm 1.8 D for under £100 (£125 new). The 50mm 1.4 D I use is still an excellent performer on the D800, and can be found for less than the 1.8 G. If you want a standard zoom, the 28-105 is nice and goes for under £150. If your budget is tight, you can pick up a decent 28-80 or 28-100 for under £50.

I would just keep the DX body for your DX lenses until you have the FX lenses you need. DX lenses aren't much fun on FX, with a letterboxed viewfinder and a downgrade from 24 to 10 megapixels. The 50mm 1.8 G is an obvious choice for under £200. With a D750, you also have the option of using the older 'screwdriver' AF/AF-D lenses, which are often inexpensive but still high quality, though they won't autofocus on your D3500. All the Nikon 50mm lenses are very good, and you can find the 50mm 1.8 D for under £100 (£125 new). The 50mm 1.4 D I use is still an excellent performer on the D800, and can be found for less than the 1.8 G. If you want a standard zoom, the 28-105 is nice and goes for under £150. If your budget is tight, you can pick up a decent 28-80 or 28-100 for under £50.

Thank you! Yeah thats what I decided to do and what I was trying to find out in the first place, seems some people got a bit confused with what I asked.

Well yes but who would really do that? You’d either use DX mode or crop it out in post, either way it’ll enlarge the noise and make it more apparent.

Depending on the lens used, the vignette varies with the focal length so with (for example) the Sigma 10-20, you can crop less at the longer end than you need to to lose all the vignette at the wider end.

The older 50mm f/1.8 screw driven AF lens used to be an absolute bargain. Slightly slower to AF than the newer versions but still faster than I could ever manage reliably when MFing!

IMO you do need to get FX lenses to get a worthwhile shift into the full frame body.

The 50mm is a good lens, i also used to have the 35mm FX lens which was also good.

Its just very expensive to have a full modern set-up of FX lenses which i who i switched away from it ( and the weight )

The older 50mm f/1.8 screw driven AF lens used to be an absolute bargain. Slightly slower to AF than the newer versions but still faster than I could ever manage reliably when MFing!
Oddly, the 1.4 D apparently focuses faster than the 1.4G, according to people who have compared both. I have the 1.4 D and it's certainly no slouch.

Back