Upgrading From 450D

Name
Kevin Nowbaveh
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Everyone,

I'm Kevin from Edinburgh and looking to upgrade my 450D to another camera (I've had it 10 years), perhaps, a semi-pro Nikon. I never got round to replacing the lens on the Canon, just used the stock one for portraits. I'm also looking for a photo printer. What are your suggestions? Thanks, K

The world is your oyster. You'll be starting over. Since you only own the stock lens, there will be nothing holding you to the 450D.

If you're just looking for a more modern version of that 450D, I think the 800D is the current model in that line and I understand it's a very nice camera..

If you're looking for something more or different, every camera ever made is on the table so you need to narrow things down a little bit. You need to think about budget, skill level, how you think you're going to use it, kinds of pictures you want to take. Did I mention budget?

We're on the cusp of a technology shift. If you can afford it, I'd say go with a mirrorless system rather than a DSLR. Maybe 1 good body and 1 good lens. And spend at least as much time thinking about that lens as you do the body. The lens will tie you to a manufacturer and camera line. Bodies get old pretty quickly. Technology moves away. Lenses, much less so.

You might read through this thread:
What Camera System Would YOU Buy?

I agree you are not tied to a brand. My advice is try before you buy. Make sure you are buying the right system. Don’t settle for I will get used to it.

Just about anything will be a step up from a 450D and kit lens so maybe the first things to think about are your image quality needs, if you are going to crop a lot or mostly go with whole images, how big you want to print and how much money you're willing to spend.

I had Canon DSLR's but now have Panasonic Micro Four Thirds and Sony mirrorless cameras and any of these will IMO be quite a step up image quality wise from your current kit. I have an Epson R2880 which is an A3 printer and I've never wanted to print bigger.

Home printing can be expensive and sometimes frustrating but on the positive side you're in control of quality and if all goes well you can have a lovely print in your hand just minutes after pressing the shutter button.

Until you set a budget the world is your oyster :D Setting a budget will narrow the options down a bit. Also, are you willing to buy used kit? If so your options may become wider.

Back