Beginner Upgrading from a 450D

Edit My Images
No
Hi. I have had a 450D for five years now and I think it's time to upgrade. I have bought a 24-105 l series lens and learnt to use the body as much as I can but I'm struggling in low light and high noise... What's my options? Budgets about £1k

Regards,

Personally I think that f4 L lenses on APS-C bodies are near madness so I wouldn't be in your position but if I was I'd sell the lot and go mirrorless or at least go for what I'd see as a more sensible body and lenses set up. If staying with DSLR's and Canon I'd go for a newer body and a Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 and a prime in the 28 to 35mm f1.4/f1.8 sort of range... but ideally I'd go for a Sony A7 and a 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8 which could/should be doable within budget but that's a radical change from what you have and may not suit you and what you want to do.

Sorry if that doesn't help but thinking about what you want to achieve and photograph might. You may be happy with just a new body and the same f4 zoom, 80D?

Hi. I have had a 450D for five years now and I think it's time to upgrade. I have bought a 24-105 l series lens and learnt to use the body as much as I can but I'm struggling in low light and high noise... What's my options? Budgets about £1k

Regards,
The 24-105 f/4 is really designed as a wide to mid zoom for full frame cameras. If you want to stay with Canon and need better high ISO / low noise, a 6d or 5d3 are within budget, depending where you purchase from.

What do you shoot mainly?

Hi,

Yeah I got the FF lens as that's what I wanted to move towards so getting that in advance makes a better path when I do. I shoot all sorts, not really found what I want to focus on, mainly family trips, so an all rounder I guess. I'd like to do more landscape in particular the coast so low lighting and evening shots I think will be common.

Options keep the lens get a full frame body
Choices are 6d which is getting a bit long in the tooth but will a good upgrade.
A 5d3 also aged 5d4 out soon, so could but a few used ones on the market.

If you already want to head towards FF then you wouldn't go wrong with a Canon 6D. Coupled with the 24-105 you will have a nice walkabout combo.
You would get change out of your £1k which you could put towards a 50mm prime for low light stuff (F1.8 version)

Hi,

Yeah I got the FF lens as that's what I wanted to move towards so getting that in advance makes a better path when I do. I shoot all sorts, not really found what I want to focus on, mainly family trips, so an all rounder I guess. I'd like to do more landscape in particular the coast so low lighting and evening shots I think will be common.

My go to camera is the Canon 6d which I love, and use for everything, even sports. Its great in low light and for landscapes for which I use the 24-105. You can get a 6d for less than £1k and witht he mk2 rumoured this year the prices will drop further when that is released.

The only downside is the AF as its only 11 points and its only the centre that is cross type (though its quick enough for F1 and fast jets, so I've not been limited by it:), and its centre point is very sensitive) and its relatively slow burst rate, again, which I've not been limited by, even shooting the fastest sports.

Last edited:
Sounds like the 6D is the way forward. Think I'd rather get that instead of the 5D mk3 and spend a little extra for the. 50mm 1.4... Not sure they have a date for the mk2 yet, then again I expect it after the mk4 as canon won't want sales to be affected???

Sounds like the 6D is the way forward. Think I'd rather get that instead of the 5D mk3 and spend a little extra for the. 50mm 1.4... Not sure they have a date for the mk2 yet, then again I expect it after the mk4 as canon won't want sales to be affected???
Canon's upgrade cycle is about 4 years which we are at, nothing has been confirmed of course.

BTW if its the Canon 50mm f/1.4 you're looking at, you're better off witht he new Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, which is the pick of the Canon 50mm's (other than the rather expensive f/1.2L!). Otherwise, I'd look at the Sigma 50mm lenses :)

Last edited:
Ok it is done :) canon 6d and a free bag for £979 all in from hdew. 3yr warranty with it... Sooo looking forward to getting out there with it.. I'll grab a 50mm 1.8 stm also :)

I know right! Well it was the free bag that persuaded me ;) that's a xmas present sorted for someone later on this year ;) 1.8 50mm stm on its way too... When I have recovered from the wallet battering I'll be heading for a 16-35 f2.8 also

You'll like the 6D. Try shooting as 12,000 ISO and be amazed that it's cleaner than your 450D at 1600!

Also, Magic Lantern is great on the 6D and adds some cool features.

6D arrived next day, brilliant service from hdew... Been out to Cambridge for a day, lots to learn but got a few shots in, not post processed yet so straight of the card...

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG

IMG_9555.JPG

Cheers,

Back