Upgrading from Canon 400D

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

At present, I'm using a Canon 400D with 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS and shoot mainly landscapes.
I'm now thinking of upgrading. The reason being is that my dominant eye is my left one and I'm fed up of inadvertently changing the ISO with my nose. Touch the button twice (easily done with a big hooter!) and the ISO is changed from 100 to 1600 - wasted shot!

The 5D is out of my price range so my options are either the 7D + 15-85, 50D + 15-85 or wait for the 60D. This is where it gets confusing. The difference in price between the 7D + lens & 50D + lens is £380ish so where would the 60D fit into that and what advancements is it likely to offer over the 50D without stealing the 7D's thunder? :help:

I would keep the 55-250 and don't want 2nd hand.
I'm leaning towards the 7D but if anyone one has any other suggestions, I'm more than willing to listen.

Thanks for any help.

Terry

not wanting to look at the 2nd hand market ... but these are both larger bodies than the 400, so make sure that they feel comfortable to use.

i had the 300D, but didn't get the 350 - 450 range as they were considerably smaller, and ended up getting the 40D which I am more than happy to rec. get that and add your to the glass collection.

Thanks for the reply Meeten.

I had a play with the 7D at FOI and it felt comfortable. My 400D is gripped so the size shouldn't be an issue.

As an aside, if anyone knows of a way of locking the ISO on a 400D, I'd be more than willing to stick with it and spend the money on glass.

I went from a 450d to a 50d and have never looked back. The camera feels so much better in my hands, let alone the extra features and better screen on the back for viewing your pics on. How about a seconhand 50d?

I take it you mean the 5D mk2 is out of reach, how about a second hand 5D? With landscapes I'd have thought a full frame camera would suit.

Thanks for your replies.

Think I'm gonna get the 7D - I quite like the idea of having the option of HD video.

I went 400d to 7d a couple of months back, however before the I upgraded the body, I invested in some better lenses (as is always recommended on here). If you can put up with the ISO issue, invest in glass, and you will see a whole new light from the 400d. Then when you do upgrade the body to 7d etc you will really see the benefit.

As for the 7d, its great! I had read reviews about the auto focus being excellent but couldn't imagine it being much better than my 400d......until I got it that was. So good, don't really have a bad word to say about the camera at all.....aside from the hefty sized hole in my bank account it left.

Back