Upgrading from D3000 to D90 or D5100

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

So, the d3000 is a few years old now, I've got my technique and knowledge much improved (was a great intro to dSLR the d3000), but things move on.....

Can sell/trade in the 3000 (body only say 150 that sound reasonable? ~17,000 clicks), keeping my lenses of 18-55 kit (still an underrated lens IMO), 55-200 and my 35 1.8 (because i just love it :) ) - so all afs.

To be honest, I'm pretty happy with the glass and don't see afs as a restriction or feel the need to use older lenses. Before I knew what I liked I thought the lack of focus motor would put me off, now I'm not so sure. Even getting more into macro at times I am m/f anyway.

D90

Good:
Build, focus motor, pentaprism v/finder, buttons on the outside :) motor would be good but really how often will I be stuck? Not much for me personally I don't think (or would I :) )
Prosumer feel.
Top display.
Bad:
Getting on a bit - do I want to stick with a camera that will be 8 years old in another few years when I upgrade? Not a biggy and I'm open to thoughts - I don't chase the latest in things for the sake of it (ok the d7000 is tempting i'm honest) and am practical, but investing in a 2008 camera (?)

D5100
Good:
Mp ( I know, I know) but it does have the same sensor as d7000 can't be bad, nice and current. More mp - got to be noisier though surely than the d90? At least below maybe 1600 iso then it will be better than d90?
Light weight
Bad: I really don't see the point of a flip out screen or video on a dSLR (I know the d90 has vid and it's not as even as good as this camera)
Controls on menus
Is this really much of an upgrade from a d3000? In real terms i'm not so sure as funny as that may sound. Worried I might outgrow it quickly (would like 3 years out of it) worried this camera might feel a bit toy like similar to d3000? Silly things like gimmicky miniature mode etc really puts me off :(
No motor, again I sort of have the lenses I'm happy with and the upgrades/things I would like are all afs anyway.

Buttons on the outside. Hmm well tbh I like ISO and w/b available (available on fn button if I must), but things like DOF preview - being honest how many times would I miss it really? Probably not many. Bracketing would be useful mind you. I mean does DOF preview even work on DX?

Both pretty much similar prices. One older but I suppose better, but better 'for me'? Still not sure.

I take a lot of indoor pics (of the kids), low light/ISO performance really interests me. How do these compare with each other and also the d3000 (unusable above 800 IMHO)

Other areas where the d3000 restricts me now is the speed of operation eg fps and also time it takes to let me chimp a pic (unbelievably slow at times probably 10 seconds) again how do these compare with each other and also the d3000? The things that never used to bother me, but are really causing me to miss opportunities with the kids now :(

Speed of operation and low light are the things. I never print above a4 either (tbh the d3000 is even good for above that anyway)

How does fps feel between the two? 4 (I think) vs 4.5 - much difference in real world?

Will consider used but tbh, even amazon there is only 100 quid in used/new so I would go new for that small difference methinks. With the d3000 body what damage do you reckon I'm looking at - a few hundred?

I am also tempted to save a few months and get the d7000 which appears ideal but not sure I will gain much of things like Iso performance or speed? What do you reckon? Seems just more grown up from d5100 and I'm the type that see no 'flip screen' as a plus lol time I save we will be on D7000000. :)

Cheers, and thanks for your time :)

I have been having the exact same conundrum, I want to upgrade my D3000 and have been looking at the D90 and D5100. Whichever camera I upgrade too I will have for a number of years, I'm not really too bothered about the video as it's not something I'm going to use, I'm a picture person. Maybe at a push I could afford the D7000 but it is looking unlikely in my current situation.

Appreciate all advice and suggestions :)
Thank you also!

I think if I was upgrading from a d3000 I would invest in good glass and if I was upgrading body it would be a bigger jump, maybe d300s. But money is a big factor I suppose but I think you will notice a bigger difference in image quality with better lenses.

Thanks for the comments. So if i say 'well with a better lens its still way to slow at processing the pic' what would you say? :) glass wont help here.
Also 'at 1.8 iso 800 isnt enough for my required shutter speed' (forget flash for now) what would you say? Glass wont help here i cant get faster (forget 1.4 etc :) ) - just trying to get your ideas on my situations.
Thanks for your thoughts i did look at the d300 as well :) do you not think the d90 or d5100 will help in the above situations? Or not substantially enough are you saying?
Cheers

I would go for the d5100 (I just been through the same decision process for my upgrade).

The sensor in the 5100 is vastly superior to the 3000/d90 and according to the reviews is usable upto 6400, plus you get the extra MP, which allows for cropping.

The flip out screen is for me only about the protection it offers by turning it round closed when not in use. I have yet to use it at any flippy angles.

The bracketing is also a plus, as is the intervalometer.

I was put off by reports of soft focusing and a tendency to overexpose on the d7000, plus the extra 400 quid can be put to better use. Like you I wasn't too worried about the lack of AF motor.

Whilst the d3200 may sound tempting for the MP, I wonder if the reviews will find it is noisier than the other dx bodies, plus it also does not have bracketing.

Another consideration is the physical size, have a look at camerasize.com where you can compare bodies - I wanted something small - the d5100 is virtually the same size as the 3100, the d90 is a bigger body.

Let us know what you decide (there's a nice d3100 in the classifieds (y))

Last edited:
Cheers guys.
First - D3200. I dont see this as enough of an upgrade to be honest, and trying to get away from guide modes and all the other stuff that I dont need. The 24Mp isn't that appealing to me, and again almost gimmicky in itself (sort of). I just cant spend 600 quid on another D3k series :(
Bloater, I did have a read of reviews on trusty amazon :) and noticed a few saying the d7000 was soft and had exposure issues (surprisng really, and still half suspected they are doing something basically wrong, hard to beleive for that costs, but maybe dud batches?). It does look a different level though - you know weather sealing (a bit) that sort of thing, then again do 'i' need that?
Sounds like you are happy with the 5100 then? What's the speed like, I mean how quick does it process pics/fill buffers etc compared with the D3000/D90 then - noticably rapid?
I'm on youtube now checking out reviews for the 5100 and 90 etc :) always useful for that stuff.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm one of those lunatics that has had more cameras than hot dinners, including a 5dmk2 and 7d - but in the end I decided that I wanted something small, lightwieght and decent iq rather than some expensive beast (no not the wife) that I never used.

The 5100 has excellent image quality and just enough features at a good price (inc £50 cashback at the moment) that suits me.

Personally I would go for the D90. The D5100 is a great camera, the sensor is superb (a fair bit better than the D90's in terms of noise control) and it has some really snazzy features but when you're just using a camera in decent light, the constant diving into the menu system to change almost any setting would drive me nuts. I had a D5000 as my first camera and it was mainly for this reason that I moved it on.

The extra controls on the D90 will be a revelation. Two control wheels means more than just having independent aperture and shutter speed control, it also means that most of the function buttons can perform two functions. As an example, if you hold the flash button down, using one wheel will control flash compensation and the other will change the flash mode. Same with bracketing if you have that assigned to a button (you can assign the depth of field button to do anything you like), you can then use one wheel to control the number of bracketed frames and anther wheel to adjust the compensation between frames. Take 2 seconds where as on my D5000 that sort of thing could take the best part of 30 seconds.

The other thing that would draw me to the D90 is flash commander mode which is great if you ever want to do off camera flash.

The best thing you could do though is go and play with them side by side because they are very different to hold and use.

Thanks Graham - i think that's it, i've got to hold them for a bit.
The D90 does seem like a pretty good buy these days, just thinking about an 8 year old camera in a couple of years, but then again, if it's doing it's job then what's the problem.
My D3000 is hardly cutting edge or ever a 'great' camera, but i've had thousands of great pics from it, OK it's taken some work and pushing it, but still does it's job it was designed for - and does it well for it's level. I mean, I paid about £380 for it brand new with 18-55 - that's not bad for my first dSLR when you look at the use it's had and learning it has given me, they are all 'good' buys arent they....I'm talking myself into a D90 again as you can see lol
What's your view on the speed, it's obviously quicker than the D3000, but do you ever notice it being a problem and sitting waiting for a few secs before you can take another pic?
Just noticed you said you had a D5000, so maybe you have moved/outgrown the lack of buttons pretty quick as well, that's sort of my concern too - you sound like it has frustrated you at times.

See they have this in my local LCE which is tempting (without knowing the shutter count etc). Could possibly get it a little cheaper, but still seems like a lot of camera for a few hundred quid?
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-D90-BODY-_54603.html
If I take my D3000, I wonder if they would consider part exchange, not sure of they would even want a D3000 nowadays? Anyone got any thoughts on that? Even if they gave me 100 - that's only 300 to part with and you cant go wrong for that.
Reckon i'll pop in anyway and check it out.

I went through this a couple of weeks ago, and plumped for the D90 (my lovely little D3000 was picked up yesterday... Sob!). I went out shooting last Monday, and the ability to make quick changes without ever using a menu convinced me I'd made the right choice. I found a few threads while I was looking, in which owners who'd gone the 5000/5100 route were disappointed that the long winded menu based navigation was still present in their upgrade choice. Video & flip screen were not important to me, and they were the only real advantages of the 5100 I could see. There's a reason they can still sell the D90 for good money after all this time!

Phoned LCE to enquire and it's just been sold anyway lol
Still, there are plenty around....
Yeah, the flip screen and whole video thing actually puts me off if i'm honest. It's a dSLR (i use the viewfinder - ok, i still can fair enough), and have other means that will do video better/easier (ie a tiny HD camcorder)....find it all not really required and it seems to be one of its main selling points:shrug:.
Sensor sounds very very good though.
Anyone got a D7000 going for £400 or want to swap a brilliantly superb D3000 for it (D3000 is much easier to carry!:LOL:) - will throw in a lens cap:D
Thanks for all your replies

I rarely use the flip out screen but decided to give it a go this weekend - as it's there, may as well use it. Quite happy with the results, and will use it more often.

DSC_9908.jpg by JustinOval, on Flickr

Dynamic range looks very good.
That's interesting, it might be a silly question, but I'm assuming you can show exposure info on the screen while it's 'tucked away'/stuck to the back as normal? Rather just live view or whatever?
So tempted to get the later sensor technology.
I need to handle a few then sit for about another ten years considering :)

Ah cool OK thanks for that- just reading the full reviews now as well. Not helping my decision though:LOL:

No.. :D

I was considering an upgrade to a D7000, but enjoyed using the flip screen so I think I'll just spend more on lenses... Hmmm.

well to be honest, you wont go wrong with better lenses, that's true.
I'm at the stage though where a shiney new lens wont help the buffer in the camera clear down quickly:LOL:
See they have a few 5100's on Amazon secondhand for not much more than 300 quid....even selling the 3000 must just leave me looking at 200 quid (you would hope for the 3000:shrug:) cant go that wrong for that cash really - let's face it, i'm going to be getting a better camera for a couple of hundred quid (amazing the ways i have of justifying new photo gear:LOL:)

I have a D3000 which I love, my brother-in-law had a D5100 and my dad has a D90.

I’ve only had a quick look at the D5100 but it’s not a patch on the D90 in my view. The D90 is much nicer to hold and the ability to chance settings using the proper buttons is so much easier than the menu systems on the D3000 & D5100. I can’t comment too much on image quality and abilities in low light but just from a usability point of view the D90 wins for me every time.

Another point is that at some point in the future you will want to upgrade your lens. I’ve just got a Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 which is superb, however it looks lost on the front of my D3000 but far more at home on my dad’s D90. The whole balance of the body and lens is just way better.

As good as the smaller body Nikons are they just don’t feel as good to hold as a D90.

Just because the D90 is not the newest camera on the block, it doesn't mean it suddenly stops taking quality images.

Also don't base you choice on reviews on you tube or elsewhere. A review is only the opinion of the tester after all.

Go and find somewhere to play with both bodies and see which it is that you prefer. That is the camera for you.

Yip, I hear ya.....yeah i'm still thinking I might just outgrow the 5100. Just not sure it's enough of an upgrade - appreciate the mp, sensor etc, but video is a major selling point that I dont need - i'm almost happier the d90 got crap reviews for video lol - a victory for a dSLR. That toy like feel/weight (which has it's advantages at times to be fair)
Cheers for the response.

Thanks Graham - i think that's it, i've got to hold them for a bit.
The D90 does seem like a pretty good buy these days, just thinking about an 8 year old camera in a couple of years, but then again, if it's doing it's job then what's the problem.
My D3000 is hardly cutting edge or ever a 'great' camera, but i've had thousands of great pics from it, OK it's taken some work and pushing it, but still does it's job it was designed for - and does it well for it's level. I mean, I paid about £380 for it brand new with 18-55 - that's not bad for my first dSLR when you look at the use it's had and learning it has given me, they are all 'good' buys arent they....I'm talking myself into a D90 again as you can see lol
What's your view on the speed, it's obviously quicker than the D3000, but do you ever notice it being a problem and sitting waiting for a few secs before you can take another pic?
Just noticed you said you had a D5000, so maybe you have moved/outgrown the lack of buttons pretty quick as well, that's sort of my concern too - you sound like it has frustrated you at times.

Yeah, I used to have a D5000. It's a fine camera (as is the D5100, my cousin has one so I have had a play) but ultimately the more I learnt and started to experiment the more frustrated I got with the menu system or more specifically the fact that I had to use the menu system for nearly everything. I was also getting interested in off camera flash at the time and the flash commander mode in the higher models is ideal for this. One thing I was never especially bothered about was the lack of internal motor though I have bought AFD lenses since.

I ultimately went for a D300 and then a D700 but I have now got a D3000 as well partly because my wife likes to have a full auto option but it's also nice to have a small camera sometimes. One thing I will say is that none of them have ever disappointed in terms of image quality. I really wouldn't worry about the whole 'old technology' thing. There will always be something new around the corner and the old models don't suddenly get worse. Personally I think if you're worried about low light, you'd be better off investing in a decent flash.

Just one last proverbial spanner in the works. Have you thought about either a D200 or a D300? Both superb...

Having recently purchased a d90 off here I can echo most the comments above with regards to benefits of the d90..Previously I used a d200 then a d5000 and although a great camera always wished I had spent the extra for the d90 it just feels nicer and the ease of access to certain settings coupled with two wheels,top lcd really makes a difference for me.I must admit I was close to buying a d5100 after trying one out but just prefer the feel of the d90.I also considered a d300/s but tbh quite like the size and weight of d90 having been used to a d5000 for some while the d300 felt huge.Found the d90 a happy medium and at £325 quite a bargain!:D

Just re-reading this. I never had an issue with image review taking a long time, maybe a second here and there when the buffer is full shooting bikes on rapid fire. I'm guessing you just need to turn off the in-camera noise reduction.

Some of you might have noticed my post in classifieds since....bought Mel's D90 so that's that :)
Thanks for all the comments, they were all useful.

I went through the same debate a few months back and opted for d90. I read forum posts and reviews for months and months until it was driving me insane going back and forth between the models. In the end the camera feel, the extra control and inbuilt focus motor did it for me. Until you have the controls you won't notice how much impact they have on your shooting. Alternatively if you want the best of both worlds then there's the d7000 but that was out of my budget.

Something to remember is that (IMO) given how slow the autofocus is in live view, I find the tilt screen rarely of benefit. It's a nice feature to have, but not a factor I would take into consideration.

I had this dilema, but in the end bought a D90 just last week. It's fantastic. I think really though, your choice has to come down to what you need or want from a camera.

Firstly, why are you upgrading? Do you just want a new version of your camera, in order to get new features? Or do you want to develop your photography and get more advanced? D5100 and then D90 being the answers retrospectively to these questions.

Secondly, are you going to invest in lenses and if so which? The D90 obviously wins on this front. I knew as soon as I got my D90 I was going to buy a 50mm for example. With the D90, I could get the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF-D. If I'd gone for the D5100, I'd have had to get the AF-S version which was £200 versus £80 so this is important.

For me, what swung it for the D90 was its more advanced features. Namely, the autofocus motor. But also, the pentaprism v/finder, second control dial, top lcd, faster FPS, depth of field button and generally more advanced settings convinced me.

In terms of the sensor, I really don't think there is much in it. If you shoot a lot at low light, use the D5100. Else, I'm no pro - I personally wouldn't notice a difference. If you need really excellent video performance, get the D5100. Else, don't rule out the D90. You get more bang for your buck.

So again, I think it depends how you use your camera and how you want this to change. Possibly the biggest influence on my decision was just trying them in the shop. They feel, and look totally different. To me, the D5100 feels cheaper, and insubstantial. It's lighter, has fewer buttons and looks like a much more consumer model. The D90 on the other hand is much meatier, heavier (not too much) and feels more comfortable in the hand (IMO). Also, the D90 shutter is lovely - its such a strong, mechanical click. The D5100 by contrast is an almost electronic sounding noise.

Remember, these are geared at totally different people. The D90 remains the more advanced camera, its just that the D5100 is newer and thus has gained ground on the D90. I wouldn't worry about it being old though ... other than a slightly newer sensor and more MP (which are irrelevant anyway), there aren't many differences in the raw photo components. It's more the features on each which set them apart. I retain that the D90 is more professional, with professional features and controls, while the D5100 is more fun ... with "gimmicky" things like an effects dial.

Both are superb cameras though, so you can't go wrong. I think it just depends where you are going with your photography and what you want / need in a camera as I've said. If you haven't already done so, I really advise taking in your memory card into a store, taking some shots on each and just hold and use them for a few minutes. They are very different in how they feel I guarantee.

Also, check out my thread where I discussed this dilemma in great detail.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=41368694

William

Thanks all:)
It will be a step up anyway and keep me learning a few other bits and bobs which is always good(y)

you'll love it. I went from a D5000 to a D90 last year and haven't looked back. It may be 5 years (ish) older than a 5000 but is superior in every respect so I am sure you will be happy with the step up from your beloved 3000.

Yeah, and it's probably the first bit of kit that i've bought that Ken Rockwell like(d)....he does rate the 5100 as 'superior in every respect' nowadays mind you:D
Think if I was going from a bridge camera or something like that, the 5100 might have been the one to go for, but either or will be a good step up anyway. Like someone a few posts back said, this is for improving the photography skills really, i'm not into video on a dSLR if i was it would have been 5100. I'm the type that would rather not even have the 'modes' (portrait, landscape etc) on the d90...fine on a d3000, but that sort of thing should be left off here and plenty other things can go there instead (but it's all marketing/product levels when it comes to it from Nikons POV)

I put a post in price queries to see what the D3000 is roughly worth, but i tend not to hang around and think 'bugger it' and will no doubt drop it off at LCE or something in a few days....actually a bit sad to see it going its been a better camera than most give it credit for (including Ken:shake::LOL:)....coupled with my 35 1.8 i've surprised myself with some of the pics(y)

Yeah, and it's probably the first bit of kit that i've bought that Ken Rockwell like(d)....he does rate the 5100 as 'superior in every respect' nowadays mind you:D
Think if I was going from a bridge camera or something like that, the 5100 might have been the one to go for, but either or will be a good step up anyway. Like someone a few posts back said, this is for improving the photography skills really, i'm not into video on a dSLR if i was it would have been 5100. I'm the type that would rather not even have the 'modes' (portrait, landscape etc) on the d90...fine on a d3000, but that sort of thing should be left off here and plenty other things can go there instead (but it's all marketing/product levels when it comes to it from Nikons POV)

I put a post in price queries to see what the D3000 is roughly worth, but i tend not to hang around and think 'bugger it' and will no doubt drop it off at LCE or something in a few days....actually a bit sad to see it going its been a better camera than most give it credit for (including Ken:shake::LOL:)....coupled with my 35 1.8 i've surprised myself with some of the pics(y)

You're going to love it. Ken Rockwell's views should be taken with a large pinch of salt. I like his site, it's got a wealth of info on it but his conclusions are sometimes a little questionable. I'm pretty sure he's still pretty bitter that the D40 has been discontinued and has never fully recovered.

Just to give you some guidance on the D3000 price, I think I paid £160 for mine in great condition a month or so ago, body and accessories only.

Thanks
Yeah, it's just the body i'm getting rid of so that seems a reasonable price I suppose. I actually still rate the 18-55:LOL:
To put it in perspective, I think around 2009 I paid about 400 for it brand new with the 18-55, and when you look at it like that and even if it goes for 150 - that's pretty damn good when you think of the pleasure these things bring(y):cool: It's not bad at all.
I came from a Canon G7 so was my first SLR, and even though it's 'only' a D3000, it's all the knowledge it's let me pick up - and lenses :LOL: (the G7 was a great camera but the quality of pics are better on even the basic SLR regadless of what folk say - including Ken:razz::LOL:)

I think I am going to get the D90 based on my own research and the advice in these posts. It seems like a better fit for me and what I am after. I have since held both cameras in the shop and I did prefer the feel of the D90, it seems more solid and I like where the buttons are relative to the D5100. Also do you think it would be worth investing in an 18-105mm lens? I've read that they have a tendancy for fuzz in the corners of images but I thought it might give me more range without having to swap lenses all the time. I currently have an 18-55mm lens and an 18-200mm lens. :)

Last edited:
Hi Sian, just an aside - i got a friends request from you the other day, but not sure if it worked....?
Go for it, D90 seems brilliant. Very sturdy (well compared with the 3000)....so fast as well.

Hi Sian, just an aside - i got a friends request from you the other day, but not sure if it worked....?
Go for it, D90 seems brilliant. Very sturdy (well compared with the 3000)....so fast as well.

Yeah, I sent a request, it's showing me as having no friends still (aren't I popular hehe) so it might not have done.
I'm very excited about getting a D90 and throwing myself into lots of knowledge and learning as much as possible. :)

Last edited:
Back