Upgrading from D7000 to FF - D610 or D750?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading from my D7000 to full frame; either a used D610 or D750.
As I see it from comparing specs, moving to the D610 doesn't offer much extra beyond full frame. The camera specs seem to be almost equivalent to my D7000.

I am looking to upgrade because I want better low light performance, better high ISO clarity and intend to shoot some astrophotography this year, (for which I understand FF is much better).
Considering the D750 is clearly an upgrade, the question is, should I spend the extra on the D750 over the D610, or am I missing something about the D610 by simply comparing spec sheets?

Thanks!
Steve

If your budget stretches then you know the answer ;)

Thanks both. It seems my suspicions are correct...

Either one will be much better than your D7K for low light. If DXOmark is anything to go by they are neck and neck for ISO performance. It depends on your needs, the 750 has extras like the tilt LCD screen, wireless, more AF points ... but end IQ is going to be pretty much the same.

Same sensor same iq but and a big but the af on the D750 is much better than the D600/610

I have both the 600 and 750, 7000 and 7200.
I have to say the 750 is better at low light performance than the 600. I was struggling to lock focus at a pole dancing showcase last November with the 600, but not at a competition with the same lighting with the 750 two weeks ago. It was available light only at both events. Noise is better too with the 750 as it uses xpeed 4, rather than xpeed 3
The 7200 coped really well. I was using an 80-200 Nikon with the 7200 and a Tamron 24-70 G2 with the 750. Both locked on easily.
I'll be selling the 600 and 7000 soon...

Last edited:
Either one will be much better than your D7K for low light. If DXOmark is anything to go by they are neck and neck for ISO performance. It depends on your needs, the 750 has extras like the tilt LCD screen, wireless, more AF points ... but end IQ is going to be pretty much the same.
Thanks, I've just reviewed DXOmark and can see what you mean regarding the difference! The D7000 is nowhere near for low light.

The D750 has much better AF in low light than the D610 - when using mine in very low light I'd end up manually focussing with focus confirmation, rather than AF. OTOH if that's not an issue, the D610 dynamic range is excellent, and 6400 is very very usable too.

And D610s are very affordable. ;)

The D750 AF is excellent, even in low light. I think it can focus to -3 EV whereas the D600 is only -1EV?

AF-C with continuous shooting is very reliable. You'll love it!

On thinking further, I've realised the flip screen on the D750 would probably also be a useful addition when shooting the stars; as I find keeping the tripod legs low gives more stability but requires some expert level contortionist skills at times on the fixed screen!

D800 for me but out of those the D750

Me too. I chose a D800 over D750 but it was pretty close.

In the past I also a D600 (replaced with a D610 by Nikon) years ago and really, really liked that camera. Such 'clean' files. I never had a major problem with the AF but I realise other cameras do it much better but I found it fine for motorsport and photographing my young kids in action. Probably would have struggled with BIF or very low light stuff.

I use my D800 mainly for landscape and astro. 36mp is nice but the main appeals were the integrated VF cover and the front mounted remote port, Both things that make far more difference to me day to day than the marginal resolution improvement. What I wish I'd known at the time was how much the D800 live view sucks for astro critical focusing. If I'd known that at the time, I might well have opted for the D750 or paid a lot more and got a D810. But in every other way, the D800 is very decent.

But as an all rounder, I think the D750 is still arguably the best DSLR Nikon have made. Maybe the D850 now but it's hard to overlook that it costs more than twice as much. The D750 just does everything so well.

I have no horse in this particular race now, but have a look at my Gospel Bell band shots, all taken at ISO 3200 or 6400 with a D610.

The D750 beats the 610 hands down in every way. It's worth spending a bit extra on getting one if you can.

The D750 is a great camera, a far better upgrade from my D7100 and D7200 than I expected.

Back