upgrading from el capitan to sierra

Edit My Images
Yes
As new to Mac user could anybody tell me if there are any potential problems with upgrading from OS X Elcapitan v10.11.6 to macOS Sierra. A free upgrade from Apple. Having recently applied updates to both final cut proX and compressor which resulted in some changes to my methods of operating I am a little wary.

Thanks

Regen

I haven't found any general problems but it all depends on what non Apple software you use . Apple software too since the upgrade broke my older version of Filemaker Pro which is made by Apple -- but still works on all versions of Windows from XP onwards!!

Not usually. I've done a lot of upgrades over the years and some machines have been upgraded several times. Never reinstalled. Generally there aren't issues. Third party things like Wacom tablet drivers can have problems and it's common to find straight after a new release something silly in one programme won't work right. Or they remove a feature and don't mention it.

I usually update when it's been out for a couple of months as it gives developers a chance to sort out any problems. Plus anything that has been removed that people want either re-appears or someone works out how to make it work. The betas seem to be out quite a while though.

It's also worth googling for macos sierra problems and software you are concerned about first.

Both Final Cut and Compressor and Motion featured significant updates,, hence those changes. It would appear that Lightroom not the CC version may have problems as well as Photoshop may suffer on updating to Sierra I updated to CC in September and experienced no problems with either. Other apps I have seem OK or have had Sierra updates . Best to check with the app developers web site for those crucial apps. Having said that I have had no problems what so ever. Launching existing apps have run well or have had a splash window stating an update is avalable

I have upgrade and all went well just make sure you have the latest levels of software on your machine

Thanks very much for all your replies. I only have Apple programmes and have updated all software so I will give it a go.

Regen

Both of my macs were fine, it isn't really that much of an update really.

Back