Beginner Upgrading from first dslr body

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Im looking for some thoughts/guidance. I’m looking to upgrade from my current Nikon d3300 body which I’ve had for a couple of years now. I’d been thinking of going for the d7500 so I can use my existing dx lenses. But I’m starting to wonder whether I should go full frame or not.

I shoot a mix of landscape, sport and portrait.

Thanks

I would get the d7500 or if you have patience then wait for crop sensor mirrorless Nikons to be released and try and transition over to that.

It will be called Z3 or Z5 or something like that and I can see ALOT of people switching over to them.

First question, whats your budget, second what lenses do you have already.

I'm not sure that the majority of us (and by us I mean the amature, hobbiest, enthusiast) need a FF camera. They have their advantages in low light situations of course. The only time I have wanted a FF camera is when I've had to up the iso to get a fast shutter speed, usually when photographing at equine events. These photos are of the wife and do you know what, she doesn't even care about a noisy photo.
If money was no object, then yes I would probably have a FF camera, but money is an object for me, so I think I get more for my money with a aps-c camera.
I'm not saying amateurs shouldn't have a FF camera and if you want one go for it.

You won't like my answer and neither will those who are looking for an easy rout or solution. The issue of upgrading cuts across all cameras and camera types; not just DSLRs. The first question you must ask yourself is a simple one, but very hard to answer honestly. Are you trying to fit yourself into the upgrade or are you trying to fit the upgrade to you? Most, believe it or not, try to fit themselves into the upgrade. You can see this all the time. A new model comes out and everyone rushes to buy it. They are trying to fit themselves to the upgrade without even a thought of how well it suits them. Going FF at this time is just jumping on the bandwagon. If you really had a need for it you would have gone there long ago, at the very beginning. Because it means a whole different lens mount than a cropped sensor camera. And, I would take it a step further. I would bet your 'need' to upgrade is nothing more than a 'need' to join the crowd. Instead, I would bet you are quite happy with your D3300, and as strange as it may seem, that probably bothers you. But, be honest about it. Happiness is what we all seek. Really, truly. And, if you are happy then give yourself credit rather than daming yourself for it. Because you got something that most others go looking for and spend all of their time looking for; while never truly finding it. So, seems to me, you need to spend some serious time with yourself and do some serious soul searching. The reason I know this is because a D7500 and any old FF are miles apart. That's not even a realistic and narrowed field to work with. You haven't even begun to deal with it, yet. Good luck.

You won't like my answer and neither will those who are looking for an easy rout or solution. The issue of upgrading cuts across all cameras and camera types; not just DSLRs. The first question you must ask yourself is a simple one, but very hard to answer honestly. Are you trying to fit yourself into the upgrade or are you trying to fit the upgrade to you? Most, believe it or not, try to fit themselves into the upgrade. You can see this all the time. A new model comes out and everyone rushes to buy it. They are trying to fit themselves to the upgrade without even a thought of how well it suits them. Going FF at this time is just jumping on the bandwagon. If you really had a need for it you would have gone there long ago, at the very beginning. Because it means a whole different lens mount than a cropped sensor camera. And, I would take it a step further. I would bet your 'need' to upgrade is nothing more than a 'need' to join the crowd. Instead, I would bet you are quite happy with your D3300, and as strange as it may seem, that probably bothers you. But, be honest about it. Happiness is what we all seek. Really, truly. And, if you are happy then give yourself credit rather than daming yourself for it. Because you got something that most others go looking for and spend all of their time looking for; while never truly finding it. So, seems to me, you need to spend some serious time with yourself and do some serious soul searching. The reason I know this is because a D7500 and any old FF are miles apart. That's not even a realistic and narrowed field to work with. You haven't even begun to deal with it, yet. Good luck.

Blooming hell. Talk about being told off :)

Nothing wrong with buying something you want if you can afford it. You don’t have to ‘need’ everything.

For what you want a D7500 or a D500 will be perfect, although the latter will be a lot bigger but very fast. I wouldn't bother with full frame

I've recently upgraded myself. My previous DSLR was a Nikon D60 and I've upgraded to a D7200. The reason I upgraded was that I wanted / needed something with better capabilities and I wanted to get more creative which I didn't feel the D60 could do. I looked at FF and mirrorless and after I got back up off the floor I decided the D7200 was the best option for me. I didn't feel that I was good enough to get the benefit of FF or mirrorless bodies for their cost, never mind the thoughts of replacing the five lenses I have for the dx sensor. This spreadsheet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nikon_DSLR_cameras ) helped me with comparing technical details and once I decided on the model, I saved the cost of a good lens by buying grey.
I'm over the moon with the new camera and look for every opportunity at getting out, it's given me back my passion for my hobby. I've even talked the Mrs into doing a boudoir / implied / nude shoot, on the proviso that I don't 'publish' them anywhere

I say go for what you want, however comparing my uncles FF Nikon to my D7200, the sensor size doesn't appear to make any difference. BUT, we're both enthusiasts, not professionals so someone with more knowledge might be able to split the difference.

This might upset some of the members but as I said, I'm over the moon with my camera and the decisions I made.

Hi all

Im looking for some thoughts/guidance. I’m looking to upgrade from my current Nikon d3300 body which I’ve had for a couple of years now. I’d been thinking of going for the d7500 so I can use my existing dx lenses. But I’m starting to wonder whether I should go full frame or not.

I shoot a mix of landscape, sport and portrait.

Thanks

Slightly different from Frank, but I'd ask you what it is you want to improve or change compared to your existing camera. If you can pinpoint what it is about the current outfit that's holding you back then that will make choice of any upgrade much easier to make.

Thanks for the replies

To hopefully clarify a little, I love my 3300, but I’ve started to find situations where it feels like it’s starting to struggle a bit. Eg using burst mode is a bit laggy for sports photography, and low light performance is ok but not great.

I have a few dx lenses for it, and I’m aware that going ff would obviously mean swapping out the lenses too, so would be a much much bigger financial commitment give. The cost of the body too.

I guess my concern is that if ultimately if it’s likely that I’d end up going ff eventually anyway, I might as well ‘bite the bullit’ and do it now and get it over with.
But, if a good high end crop sensor would be plenty good enough, and will do what I need without ever needing to worry about ff, then that’s the better more cost effective option.

From the comments, it looks like I should be looking at maybe a d7500, d7200 or possibly d500?

My reason for looking at the d7500 originally was that it seems a lot of ‘bang for buck’ in that it shares components with the d500 but you can pick the body up for around £700.

I guess my concern is that if ultimately if it’s likely that I’d end up going ff eventually anyway, I might as well ‘bite the bullit’ and do it now and get it over with.

IF you needed to go FX then I'd agree, but it doesn't sound like you *need* an FX camera. D500 as suggested is probably the best tool, but I'd also suggest ditching the consumer quality lenses ASAP too.

Blooming hell. Talk about being told off :)

Nothing wrong with buying something you want if you can afford it. You don’t have to ‘need’ everything.

Absolutely. Wanting something is a perfectly good reason for buying it, assuming you can afford it, and that's really none of our business. A courteous request for advice isn't an invitation to give a lecture either.

I came to the D500 via a D3100 and a D5500. I loved the D5500, not only because it was red!, but started to do a lot of sports photography (dog racing and boy are they fast!)) so needed something faster. Was put off the D500 a bit by the weight and flirted with getting a Z6. Plumped for the D500 in the end and it is fantastic. My photography has improved so much with it. The frame rate of the D7500 isn't that much slower than the D500 (8v10) so that might suit your needs if you don't have a big budget. I will still go for the Z6 at some point just for the weight advantage.

I was watching a Notrhrup wideeoh yesterday, his opinion, very oldskook was that folk put far too much emphaisi on trhe body, not enough on the lens... wit which IU tend to agree.. body is just a light tigfht box ti put the film in ;-) its the lens that makes the diffdference, and then the 'fiulm' which trhese days is a bit of silly-cone Pammy Anderson didn't get her MITS on.... ;-)
I still have a D3200 after a decade, there are two D3100's in the houise, that still cut the mustart for all practical purposes....
Question HAS to be what don't your current kit do for you or need or want it to... and what would?
Personally with a fetish for Fish, the notion to go Full-Frame was suggested by the lack of 180 deg full round fish for APS-C, until Sigma launched the horrendously over priced 4.5mm fish.. but still cheaper than a Full-Frame so what the heck... 24Mpix still gies plenty of overhead for cropping, so good enough...... and I have never felt the 'need' let alone found a reason to go Full Frame other than simply "Well, I might just WANT to" Which aught be reason enough on its own, at the end of the day!! Othewise I have a 6x9 medium format folder, worth about £10, with a Zess lens on it.... +@ 2,6oo DPI, scan resolution, which is still pretty low, that could make a 300+ Mega Pizie Digi-Pik.. how many mega-pixies and how muh 'resolution' do IU really need or want,m and would I be looking in even the right corner, let alone trhe right room, for it in more widgetal?

My advice?.. shoot fish..,.. or use dynamite... its easier then using a rod..sorry hang on.. shoot FILM, its FUN.... otherwise don.t get hung up; on the gear you don';t really NEED to 'upgrade'.. its a myth that the shops like to perpetuate to keep you spending money.. otherwise a camera is a camera is a camera... and most likely that its your know how-how that's the weak line rather than any bit of camera kit.. is in my case after 40 years and gawd knows how many purportedly 'suiperior' cameras, in that timr... and if you rteally MUST buy something bigger-better-faster-motre, be sure first whgat bigger, better, faster, oe more might be most use to you... either which wat odds on its not a new camera body....

I have a few dx lenses for it, and I’m aware that going ff would obviously mean swapping out the lenses too, so would be a much much bigger financial commitment give. The cost of the body too.

The good news is that with Nikon the same lens mount is used for both DX and FF lenses and the FF bodies will recognise when you have a DX lens fitted and automatically switch to DX mode. This means that you don't use the full FF sensor but it gives you time to save up for the FF lenses you might want. There are plenty of really excellent older FF lenses that are available for not very much money - you don't have to have f/2.8 and f/4 lenses just because the body is FF.

if you rteally MUST buy something bigger-better-faster-motre, be sure first whgat bigger, better, faster, oe more might be most use to you.
Good old Mike, on speed as always. Drill down through the verbiage, people, to catch up with the sense he talks. :)

Back