Upgrading from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - as per the title I'm looking to upgrade my 4 (and a bit) year old iPad "2", but I can't decide on what to get.

I'm aware that either iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro 9.7 will be a massive upgrade on my current iPad (in terms of speed), but wonder if the Pro will be over kill? All I'll be using it for is general web-browsing, streaming TV etc.

Anyone performed a similar "upgrade"? If so, care to share your experience? Did you upgrade to the Air 2, and wish you'd gone with the Pro?

I went from iPad 2 to Ipad Air and saw a massive difference, I'm now on the 12.9" Pro and love that too. You won't be disappointed whichever you choose.
Have you considered Apple Refurbished as they put a new screen, battery and case on the refurbished model before slapping a normal 12 months warranty on it? You can't tell the difference.
http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Last edited:
I have the mini 2 and have bought the daughter the mini 4 for Christmas. I was watching them on the refurb store for a month or so then when i came to order one, they had sold out. :LOL: Eventually ordered one from eGlobal and now the refurb store have them back in stock. :rolleyes:

Just compare prices of new vs refurbed. The pro 9.7 is only saving you £30 atm if you go with the refurb but it is essentially a new one so perhaps it's worth it.

I do like the look of the Pro but i may wait it out to see if Apple bring out a Mini Pro.

Last edited:
Hi - as per the title I'm looking to upgrade my 4 (and a bit) year old iPad "2", but I can't decide on what to get.

I'm aware that either iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro 9.7 will be a massive upgrade on my current iPad (in terms of speed), but wonder if the Pro will be over kill? All I'll be using it for is general web-browsing, streaming TV etc.

Anyone performed a similar "upgrade"? If so, care to share your experience? Did you upgrade to the Air 2, and wish you'd gone with the Pro?

Can you get to an Apple store or another shop that sells them and try them both out side by side, you can then see if there is any noticeable difference in speed / screen etc for you ?

Not sure what the difference in price is, but I would have thought for general browsing, TV etc, then the Air 2 would be a great upgrade from your current iPad...

I have an iPad air and they feel better than the earlier models. I also only really do internet browsing and movie streaming to it and it's fine.

Thanks all for your comments, I'm heading up to Birmingham in a couple of weeks so I'll have a play. Refurbished looks good value too.

Now I need to decide if 32gb (a la my current iPad) will be large enough... :runaway: how much (gb wise) crap comes preinstalled these days?

Last edited:
For someone interested in photography you really have to experience the iPad 12.9" pro - it's amazing !
What is the ipad version of Lightroom like? Any good?

Or are there any viable alternatives that make using the tablet for photo editing worth the effort?

I went for the iPad Pro (9.7"). I don't use the pen but the keyboard has been fantastic. Meetings, travel ... it's my go to device.

The problem is, is it really worth the price difference petween the standard iPad? For me the keyboard is, for those that don't need a keyboard probably not.

I had an iPad Air and like you was choosing between upgrading to iPad Air2 or iPad Pro 9.7.

For your stated usage the Air2 would be more than adequate and the Pro 9.7 is probably overkill.

Having said that I choose a Pro 9.7 because I wanted the Pro's 4 speaker setup (Air2 = 2 speakers)

I play lots of music from my iPad Pro (128 gb) and the 4 speaker sound is fantastic, difficult to believe it is coming from such a slim device.

Difference doesn't seem to be too great however if you intend to keep it a similar amount of time (4+yrs) as your current machine the newer pro may stay useful for longer. I changed from an air 1 to a mini 4 and the difference is notable. Alternatively you may find getting a cheaper air 2 now and then upgrading faster (2+yrs) gives you a a more consistant experience without really costing you much more in total by part ex/selling. As for storage, if you mostly only stream , 32gb should be fine.

Justification for buying less and upgrading faster, current Applestore prices:
Buy a mid tear iPad every two years: 379+379 - 50% resale value 189 = 569.
Buy one iPad Pro and keep for 4 yrs: iPad Pro £549.

Good luck

Thanks all!

I've been looking at the refurbished ipad a lot more closely, and I can get a 32gb 9.7inch pro for £469, which isn't too bad.

As you say, I steam most of my media, so I'm really just after something a bit slicker. Turns out its not an iPad 2 I have, it's an iPad 3! (which is apparently the worst iPad ever - according to some reviews!).

I'll have a play with all three models (Pro big and small, and Air2) and go from there.

Thanks again.

I'm still using an iPad 4. Probably use it more than my Mac for web browsing and gaming (don't use the Mac for gaming at all). Not feeling the need to upgrade it yet, but if I still had the iPad 2 (handed that to a work colleague when I retired), I think an upgrade would be on the cards.

I went from an Ipad 3 to an Ipad Air 2, was a decent upgrade.

Thinner, lighter and much faster.

Once you get past 3-4 major OS versions past the one it came with, it seems to slow down to a point where it gets in your nerves, it does mine anyway.

I went from an Ipad 3 to an Ipad Air 2, was a decent upgrade.

Thinner, lighter and much faster.

Once you get past 3-4 major OS versions past the one it came with, it seems to slow down to a point where it gets in your nerves, it does mine anyway.
Agreed - I'm at that stage now - it's a nightmare!

which is apparently the worst iPad ever - according to some reviews!).

That is quite the Apple Keynote statement right there! "Worst iPad ever"!

On a more serious note, I'm not a "iPad Pro" owner, but have used one a few times, for me it was just a larger iPad, nothing more, nothing life-changing, and certainly not a productivity tool for my use-case. If your use-case is simply web-browsing and streaming is the extra £££ justified for the additional speakers? I use a Bose Soundlink II paired to my iPad Mini 4, and it's the perfect combo for me when I want a bit extra midrange or bass.

I'm still using my 6 years old 1st Generation iPad, and it's still in good working order as well as the fact that it's still good enough for my needs.

If you do want to upgrade, I would suggest that based on what you said, you don't need the iPad Pro, just go for the iPad Air.

Thanks again folks, appreciate your thoughts.

I decided that the Pro would've been overkill, and that the Air 2 is more than an improvement over my current iPad.

Father Christmas has been notified, so let's see what he brings. ;)

I decided that the Pro would've been overkill, and that the Air 2 is more than an improvement over my current iPad.

The iPad mini 4 arrived for Lily and I've set it up and put iOS10 on etc etc and it does feel quicker than my mini 2. I was quite surprised. I was hoping the mini pro would be released along with the MacBooks etc but I guess it'll be sometime in the spring. I think that will be my next upgrade. Not that I really need it. :LOL:

I went from the Air 1 to the 9.7 ProI have also inherited my sonss Air 2

The Pro is noticeabe quicker but, for me, it works better on WiFi with my Canon EOS 750D and M10 via the Canon Connect app and transfers files to the Verbatim Mediasher unit onto a 128Gb USB stivk.

The Air 2 is powerful enough to do the same but not as easily. For the tasks you list and, as previously stated, the Air 2 is all you need.

Back