Upgrading from kit lens

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all.

Wandering if anybody can help. I have a Nikon d5300 and would like to upgrade from the kit lens. I have the 18-55 f3.5 -f5.6 kit lens and also have a 55-200 lens f4-f5.6. Would like a lens that would work better in low light and nighttime shots. Whilst also being able to take good quality pics of the kids and professional looking group shots I wouldn't want to spend much more than 200 quid but could many stretch to 300.

Anybody got any suggestions or does my budget need to change before it's worth it

Cheers in advance for any help

I'd probably look for a (used) 35mm f1.8 prime (52mm equivalent in FX) for general use. If you need the wider end of things then maybe a 24mm f2.8 (equivalent to 36mm FX) or if you need longer then 85mm f1.8. I'm not sure you'd gain much from a f2.8 zoom upgrade.

I'd look at a 17-50mm/18-50mm f2.8. I don't know if Nikon make a lens like this but if not Tamron and Sigma do. Years ago when I had a DSLR I had a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and I thought it was excellent.

Other than that you could take a look at a prime lens, something like a 20, 30 or 35mm f1.8 or maybe a 50mm f1.8 but the latter may be a little long on an APS-C camera.

Which 18-55 do you have? There have been several versions and they vary in quality.

Being a Canon user, I don't have any info re Nikon offerings. However, I too had a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 a few years ago and used it on successive Canon bodies. After that , I upgraded to the Canon 17-55.
I had the non VC (image stabilisation) version of the Tamron and for it's money, I thought it was excellent.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd go for the 35mm prime for the cases you have suggested. Well within your budget and is a brilliant little lens. It won't give you any zoom but that's what your feet are for eh!(y)

Cheers all.

The kit one I've got is the AF-P VR one. Looking around and taking all your advice on board I can get the

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Nikon Fit for 225 pounds used in good condition
Or
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens for 170 pounds new.

What do you all reckon?

Personally if you have the AF-P then thinks its a pretty good "kit" lens and while the Sigma will offer the f/2.8 which will be useful in some circumstances not sure it would be a huge improvement. I'd go for the 35mm f/1.8G which while less versatile (being a prime) offers more of an improvement over the kit lens (why not look for a used one though - should be closer to £100).

I have both of these lenses and they are both complete and in excellent condtion. Selling outside of the forums is prohibited but I would be willling to give you first dibs if you are interested and I put them in the sale forum. MOD note please edit this if this comment is not allowed :)

I've got the Canon 35mm and it's a great lens, that said I have the Sigma 17-50 (for nikon) and I find that very good too.

been using the lens for a couple of weeks now and find it really nice, especially sharp around about f4 upwards however at F1.8 the images seem a little shakey even at 1/ 100th of a second. also i think it dosent fid the focus as fast as the AF-P kit lens. I'm assuming that it might be because the lens has no VR and I'm used to having it in my other lenses. anyway really like the lens, thanks for all your help.

paul.

2018_haven_holiday-325.jpg by paul garvie, on Flickr

Upgrade really depends on what you want it to do.
I'd go for an application specific buy like
A macro (could double as a portrait lens)
A fast portrait lens
A tele zoom
An ultra wide.
And then replace the kit zoom as a later move.

Back