Upgrading from Nikon D90

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought about upgrading to full frame but a little cooling off period has me thinking full frame maybe more than I need or want given the large file sizes of the D 6-800 and the loss of zoom over a crop sensor, so I'm now considering a D7100.

My question. Is the D7100 a significant upgrade over the D90? I'd welcome some input from someone who's done just this. Cheers!

Last edited:
I had a D90 as a second body to my D300 and P/ex'd for a D7100 earlier this year.
Is it better, yes very much so, in many ways.
But it depends on what you are using it for, my reason was needing a camera that could handle high ISO as I do fast moving things in less then ideal light conditions, and so far I've not been disappointed, but for most things the D90 was more then adequate
I didn't and still don't want full frame as I need the extra reach for my wildlife stuff, most of my lenses are DX too which would have meant a huge outlay to replace them.
I'm more then happy with the results from the D7100 so far and in fact tend to use it more then the D300 now I am used to the controls, the D90 did sit unused in the bag most of the time.
If nikon do ever bring out a D400 that will be my next move, but the D7100
will stay with it

Last edited:
I regularly use my dads D90 and although it's good it is the ISO performance of my D7000 which sets them apart. I guess it depends what you like to shoot but if you need good ISO performance you won't be disappointed. There are plenty of other little things that make a difference too, I like the flexibility of having two card slots and the rear screen is also improved.
I've had a quick go on my uncles D7100 and although only say small improvement on my D7000 does move the game on further.

My mrs went from a D90 to a D700 this year & she couldn't be happier..

I have had a D90 since it came out, I am tempted by a D7100 esp with current discounts but I am trying to hang out for a D610 when the price drops a bit which it surely will. I will have ditch half my lenses though and being tight that will hurt! I am concerned a D7100 wont feel enough of an upgrade - which means the D90 is a good bit of kit, even today.

The high ISO performance is a feature I'd be pleased with as I don't feel the D90 copes with low light particularly well. I do have some FX lenses but I'd miss that main crop factor advantage of zoom. I've heard the D7100 without anti aliasing is very sharp and that appeals too. Thanks for the replies so far.:)

Mine is super sharp and focuses well in lower light with the Sigma 150/500 which it never would on the D90 and doesn't fair that well on the D300.
And you have the added advantage of the dual crop sensor which I thoiught was a waste till I started to play, when you cut to the 1.3 crop you get an 18mp sensor but it really doesn't show and gives you greater reach with the lens

I'm sure you are right about the high ISO performance when compared to the D90 and the D90 does hunt for focus in low light, although from what I have read the D7100 isnt as good as some of it's current competitors. To be honest, thinking about it, no camera is perfect, just be aware of it's shortcomings and thank your lucky stars were aren't stuck in the 70's or 80's!

Last edited:
I can only speak from my own personal experience of using D50 > D80 + D200 > D90 + D300 +D7100 and the D7100 far exceeds all the others :shrug:

I'm sure you are right about the high ISO performance when compared to the D90 and the D90 does hunt for focus in low light, although from what I have read the D7100 isnt as good as some of it's current competitors. To be honest, thinking about it, no camera is perfect, just be aware of it's shortcomings and thank your lucky stars were aren't stuck in the 70's or 80's!

Could you clarify Peter? What are it's shortcomings and which are its current competitors? So far most comments are positive but I'm eager to hear the negatives too.

I believe the negatives he means are vs. competitors such as Canon such as the 70D which is also a fantastic camera.

Truth is, there are no bad cameras and the D7100 represents a big upgrade from what you have (and I loved my D90) and is a great option if you want to stay with Nikon. If not then the world's your oyster!

I believe the negatives he means are vs. competitors such as Canon such as the 70D which is also a fantastic camera.

Truth is, there are no bad cameras and the D7100 represents a big upgrade from what you have (and I loved my D90) and is a great option if you want to stay with Nikon. If not then the world's your oyster!

I've no doubt Canons such as the 70D are very good, but even if I wanted to change camera, I couldn't fund a change of lenses too. I was amazed when I upgraded my D60 to the D90. I'm hoping for a similar upgrade of quality from a switch to the D7100. As I said I'm keen to hear negatives too so that there's no surprises.

I had the D90, which I absolutely loved. I moved on to a D7000 and had problems with the AF system,twice returning it to Nikon.
I called it a day on the D7000 and bought a D7100. It's quite simply the best camera I have ever owned. The Focus system is so much better than the D7000, which I think has the same Focus system as the D600 which ruled that out for me.

I'm not saying the D7000 isn't a good camera,it just wasn't for me. You will not be left felling unhappy if you opt for the D7100.

Back